MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mayor Responds to Student Concerns about Stadium finklej MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-04-2010 04:32 PM
Questions!!! Pinakin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-11-2010 12:55 AM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM

Some questions...and concerns

Old 02-14-2011 at 11:54 AM   #16
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
You should take note of the fact that the average required to get into a particular program is different depending on your high school. When I applied, the so called 'cutoff' was mid 80's but I had an 83 average, but I was still admitted. At the same time, I heard of students from different schools that weren't accepted who had an average that was higher than mine.
If your school school has a reputation for being easy, then you probably need a higher average, and conversely, if your school has a reputation for being hard, then your average probably doesn't need to be as high.
not always true, ur in a different year than we are it varies each year. In your year, probably not as many students applied to life sci thus you got in when it said mid 80s. Then the york strike happened and for my year the school had a huge increase in students which forced them to raise the avg to 87 and then their prob was a high number of students this year and they kept it. This is just like how to get into hours bio 2 years ago u needed 6.1 n now u need 7.8
Old 02-14-2011 at 12:12 PM   #17
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
not always true, ur in a different year than we are it varies each year. In your year, probably not as many students applied to life sci thus you got in when it said mid 80s. Then the york strike happened and for my year the school had a huge increase in students which forced them to raise the avg to 87 and then their prob was a high number of students this year and they kept it. This is just like how to get into hours bio 2 years ago u needed 6.1 n now u need 7.8
Then how does that explain the fact that I was accepted with an 83 and someone I know was rejected with an 85 when we applied to the same program in the same year.

A high school teacher told me that universities sometimes contact them and encourage them to tell their students to apply even if their averages are lower than the cutoff because they value students from that particular high school more.
Old 02-14-2011 at 12:15 PM   #18
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
Then how does that explain the fact that I was accepted with an 83 and someone I know was rejected with an 85 when we applied to the same program in the same year.

A high school teacher told me that universities sometimes contact them and encourage them to tell their students to apply even if their averages are lower than the cutoff because they value students from that particular high school more.
thats possible... my acceptance letter just advised me not to drop below an 80..... it didnt specify the particular 'cut-off' tho
Old 02-14-2011 at 01:04 PM   #19
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Ok....giving me some hope...lol. So can I change my life science application to something else if I have no other choice?
Old 02-14-2011 at 01:05 PM   #20
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Can't you change your other applications for different universities? You still have a slim chance of getting in L. Sci. That way, if you do get in L. Sci, you don't have to take E. Sci courses, unless you want them as an elective.
Old 02-14-2011 at 01:56 PM   #21
Silver
Elite Member

I'm not sure if I can change my application. That's what i'm asking...
Old 02-14-2011 at 02:00 PM   #22
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

if you have an application for a school that maybe you don't want to go to anymore or a program that you don't want to apply for anymore, you can switch it and it will not cost you anything. This is what i did when i knew one school only would send out one acceptance offer and because i didn't know that, i applied to 2 programs at that school so i just switched one of them that i knew i wouldn't have recieved an offer for (i had already been accepted to the other program at that school), i changed it to Enviro Sci at mac and i got in within 2 days of switching it at no extra charge since i had already paid for the application to the other school.

Hope that helps
Old 02-14-2011 at 02:17 PM   #23
Silver
Elite Member

Yea, that helps a lot. I wonder though if I could add a program? And lets say if I were to take E. Science. The courses first year would be the same as Life Science right? And then I could switch to Life Sciences in 2nd year?
Old 02-14-2011 at 02:21 PM   #24
jamiebenyovi

if you add a program I think you'd have to pay for another application. The courses are exactly the same, and you don't even need to take the courses required for Enviro sci, just take courses as if you were in life sci. I am taking the 2 required enviro courses because the courses i wanted to take as my electives were full otherwise i wouldn't be taking them. So first semester i took Bio, Chem, Psych, Math and Enviro and this semester I'm taking Bio, Chem, Physics, Psych and Enviro. The only difference between life sci and enviro really is that in enviro, chem is a requirement instead of bio in life sci. Also like i mentioned you have to take 2 nviro courses but if you don't plan on getting a degree in enviro sci you DO NOT need to take them. They are on the life science course list so they can be taken as electives but they are not a requirement if you have other courses you want to take.

As for second year, you would just apply to the programs you want and not even apply for anything enviro sci related if that's not what you want to go into.
Old 02-14-2011 at 04:11 PM   #25
Silver
Elite Member

So are you 100% sure I can add a program in there still? I would kiss your username if you were.
Old 02-14-2011 at 04:15 PM   #26
jamiebenyovi

I'm not sure if you can add another program i.e paying for another application but you most certainly can change an existing application.
Old 02-14-2011 at 05:17 PM   #27
noface

I'm pretty sure you can add another program but your application will be viewed last. Anyone who applied before the deadline will have there applications viewed first and then if there is still room in the program, they would view yours. I'm not too sure though, talk to your councillor.
Old 02-14-2011 at 06:45 PM   #28
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Thanks, but I mean like, I applied already and everything. I'm in my final semester at high school, but I don't know if I will get in to Life Science. I was wondering if its still possible to apply to Environmental Science because the deadline was early January. I'm confident my overall average will be around 85, but I'm not sure if its good enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noface View Post
I'm pretty sure you can add another program but your application will be viewed last. Anyone who applied before the deadline will have there applications viewed first and then if there is still room in the program, they would view yours. I'm not too sure though, talk to your councillor.
You can change any of the programs you have applied to, or add existing ones, up until the end of April (at least, that's what it was three years ago when I was applying). My friend decided on like, Apr 28 or something that she wanted to get into Engineering, and she applied to several programs, including Mac, that night. Mac accepted her eight days after she applied, well before they finished accepting/rejecting people, which means she definitely wasn't viewed 'last'...and she had added the five engineering applications in addition to the programs she had previously applied to.
Old 02-14-2011 at 07:30 PM   #29
Silver
Elite Member

Alright, Ill probably apply to E.Sciences as a backup now. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-15-2011 at 03:47 PM   #30
Silver
Elite Member

So I'd like some reassurance lol. I can still add the program of Environmental Science onto my application. The first year courses are nearly the same as other sciences including Life Science right? This means I can switch into pretty much any other science program 2nd year?