MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone explain this to me Yakattack General Discussion 16 09-22-2010 02:04 PM
So can anyone explain this guest_295 Academics 2 08-17-2010 01:31 AM
Please Explain. lorend General Discussion 45 01-17-2010 10:53 PM
Could someone explain the mealplan to me? Porsche First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-14-2009 04:43 PM

someone please explain the reasoning behind this

Old 05-26-2008 at 10:19 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

someone please explain the reasoning behind this
okay, this topic is a little bit gross so forgive me. but i really want to know the answer because i don't get it AT ALL.

it's mostly guys i know who do this.

what is the appeal of reading after going to the bathroom? you're surrounded by fomites and some sort of excrement! ewww.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2008 at 10:22 PM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Huh? People read after going to the bathroom?
Old 05-26-2008 at 10:25 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

while still in the bathroom. yes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2008 at 10:29 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Ew. Are you serious? I did not know that. Why would people do that? Can't people read AFTER they're done? It's not like they're in there for hours.
Old 05-26-2008 at 10:30 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, I'm serious, that's why I asked the question!!

Old 05-26-2008 at 10:33 PM   #6
ferreinm
Elite Member

Well I highly doubt that anyone is gonna answer it since we've made it sound so negative with all of our ew-ing.
Old 05-26-2008 at 10:34 PM   #7
ThatGuy

Liked: 36 Times

lol, nice question, its nice to browse some magazines while your doing your business, not much reading just looking at some pictures or many small articles
Old 05-27-2008 at 07:54 AM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

only reason it happens is if you go in with something interesting to read, then end up getting so into it that you want to keep reading it without moving? seems to be my only logical explanation
Old 05-27-2008 at 04:17 PM   #9
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

For me, I find it impossible to read while doing my business because there are too many distarctions. Not to mention, Im a terrible multi-tasker and I find I have to either concentrate on doing my business, or reading, but Ive never been able to do both hehe
Old 05-27-2008 at 05:13 PM   #10
Victor K

Liked: 0 Times

I will confess, I do it. The truth is that there is nothing better to do. Do you want me to stare at the wall? Being in the washroom pooping (sorry) is quite boring and reading something good makes the time pass faster.
Old 05-27-2008 at 09:14 PM   #11
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

What I've never understood is why some people keep bathroom readers and magazines in their bathrooms for people to read. Why would you want to read something someone else read while they were going to the bathroom. I don't know what it is, but the concept of that irks me.
Old 05-27-2008 at 09:36 PM   #12
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

What I enjoy in bathrooms are comics taped to the wall....always nice to have something to look at that doesn't take to much concentration...and of course my favorite bathroom literature is of course bathroom grafiti.
Old 05-27-2008 at 09:44 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

INterestingly, I am reading a bathroom reader now (Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader), but before bed.

And not in the loo.

Old 05-28-2008 at 08:02 AM   #14
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

LOL oh wow! What a question!!

Perhaps it helps people to relax, which might be necessary for some. Remaining there is only because of interest in the book, as others have mentioned.

Remember that Seinfeld episode... George did this in a bookstore once and they made him pay for the book he was reading when doing his business. Perhaps he could enlighten you more on a reason people do this
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:40 AM   #15
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I inspired this didn't I?

For those of you who don't know, Danielle and I live together.

I read in the pooper all the time. I like my books and if I gotta go and it's a good passage I'm not putting it down.

The key to making this an accepted practice is that you always wash your hands. People should be washing their hands ANYWAY but we've all seen those people in the public bathrooms who just flick their fingers under the water and walk out. That is not washing people. WASH YOUR HANDS.

And since they make tons of bathroom readers each year, I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who does it!

I can't believe I just admitted to this online...