MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Go Strike lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-04-2008 06:43 PM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

Strike?

Old 10-08-2010 at 02:59 PM   #91
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Just because the staff are getting paid a little more than other people in the same profession, that doesn't mean it's okay to slash their benefits and pay. They took this job, expecting a certain pay, benefits, sick days, etc.

"People have it worse" is not a legitimate excuse to cut whatever you want.
The offer that the union rejected actually had a small pay raise- at least according to McMaster.

However, you could use that same argument to argue against giving people raises. Circumstances change, and pay changes with it. That's just common sense. Sometimes that means increased wages, sometimes that means decreased wages.
Old 10-08-2010 at 10:07 PM   #92
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I'd really like to see the latest offer. Based on the older one, they should DEFINITELY strike, but I'll reserve judgment until I see the latest offer.

Although, regardless of how bad the offer is, I still hate that the buses won't go on campus :(
Old 10-08-2010 at 10:47 PM   #93
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-L View Post
It also required changes to benefit provisions in order to meet the province's requirement that all new collective agreements contain no net compensation increases in the first two years.
It didn't require a decrease in benefits. Furthermore cleaners only get paid $13.02.

After the first contract was rejected they did take the wage cuts out. But the benefit cuts remain. Also less holidays, and although they put sick days back in, they decreased the amount. I don't have the rest in front of me but its still quite a cut.

Personally I believe the University wants to get rid of the cleaners and hire out side cleaners at minimum wage. It explains why they deleted the contract worker clause, and tried to add that the administration can close departments at will and hire contract workers. Of course this clause was completely rejected and had to be removed in the revised deal.
Old 10-10-2010 at 11:30 PM   #94
GabrieleKv

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
So Housing and Conference Services just sent out the following email..
Quote:

Please be advised negotiations are currently being held between the University and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) which represents skilled trade, maintenance and operations, custodial and cleaning staff at McMaster. The SEIU's current contract expires on September 30. October 1 is the earliest date for a legal strike.
The University’s goal is to reach a settlement at the negotiating table. Should the union choose to strike, plans have been prepared to ensure the University is able to continue operations. The University will remain open.
How does this impact you if there is a strike?
  • Classes, labs and tutorials are expected to continue.
  • A plan is in place to clean and maintain Residence Buildings.
  • You may experience delays getting to and from campus - please allow additional travel time.
  • Buses will not enter campus, however, bus stop locations will be established on the perimeter of campus (Check the Daily News for details)
  • Food and drinks will not be permitted in classrooms and libraries.
  • Food Services will continue to operate. Some outlets may be closed or offer shortened hours; some food options may be limited or packaging may be changed to reduce garbage.
What can you do in your Residence community?
  • Remove garbage from your room and deposit it in designated bins outside your building. Details will be posted in each Residence Building.
  • Minimize waste and garbage.
/
Is it just me or is this whole strike thing just getting ridiculous? I know this only appeals to people living in residence, but I'm just really annoyed at the fact that we pay 4000-6000 for residence a year to Mac and there's a possibility that after all that money, the buildings might not even be cleaned ..
they are gana get staff to clean the buildings, They are probs gana just hire a company to do it
Old 10-12-2010 at 12:15 PM   #95
Bumchoda

Liked: 3 Times

So I guess this is still happening tomorrow? Can't wait to wake up early so I can sit with my car on, waiting on cootes for for a half hour.
Old 10-12-2010 at 09:24 PM   #96
arbeaug

Liked: 7 Times

Tentative agreement between University and SEIU Local 2
Hi there, this is Gord Arbeau, Associate Director Public Relations at McMaster.

A tentative agreement has been reached between the University and SEIU Local 2. Details follow:

SEIU Local 2 and the University have reached a tentative agreement that their bargaining committees will each recommend for ratification. The tentative agreement means there will be no pickets at the University Wednesday.

Employees in the bargaining unit will have the opportunity to vote on the tentative agreement within the next few days.

Details of the time, date and location of the ratification vote will be announced as soon as they have been confirmed. SEIU Local 2 represents operations and maintenance workers, skilled trades and custodians and cleaners at McMaster.

Entropy likes this.
Old 10-12-2010 at 09:32 PM   #97
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

no strike. at least not yet. They reached a tentative agreement an hour ago.
Old 10-12-2010 at 09:58 PM   #98
plutoz

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumchoda View Post
Can't wait to wake up early so I can sit with my car on, waiting on cootes for for a half hour.
You know you can shut your engine off while waiting... But it looks like it might not be an issue now
Old 10-12-2010 at 10:33 PM   #99
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Sweet!

I'm totally against the University admin screwing people over but man does the bus re-routing suck.
Old 10-14-2010 at 10:19 PM   #100
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Sweet!

I'm totally against the University admin screwing people over but man does the bus re-routing suck.
There only time it IS fun is when the bus goes towards Dundas and gets back onto the 407 near Burlington. Pwetty, and you get to see the whole city/university.