MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Recent Survey finds only 1-in-4 Mac students would apply to jobs in Hamilton Chad MacInsiders Announcements 34 12-13-2011 04:38 PM
Emergency exercise to take place on campus May 3 Daily News General Discussion 9 04-26-2011 11:57 AM
Study finds alcohol more dangerous and harmful than heroin, cocaine Souldier General Discussion 15 11-02-2010 02:44 PM
Canadian University Students Study Theoretical Zombie Outbreak Fight0 General Discussion 16 08-19-2009 02:58 PM

Study finds students drop exercise when they hit campus

Via Daily News

Regular exercise tends to steeply decline among youth as they move to university or college, according to a study by researchers at McMaster University.

The team found a 24 per cent decrease in physical activity over the 12 years from adolescence to early adulthood. The steepest declines were among young men entering university or college.

The researchers found the rate of decline in physical activity was greater for men than for women, who showed only a modest 1.7 per cent decrease in their overall activity levels. Women were found to be less active in high school.

"It may be that girls experience the greatest declines in physical activity earlier in their adolescence," said Kwan.

Question for the forums: Are you going to the gym/working out less or stopped completely now that you're at Mac?
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-10-2012 at 02:28 PM   #2
Chevalier
Elite Member
Program: not entirely sure
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 203 Times
SOOOOOOOO ture..... lol the only exercise i get now are the walks to and form school and in between classes :p

Biochem47, snowfox like this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-10-2012 at 02:28 PM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
To a certain degree, yes.
Old 01-10-2012 at 02:36 PM   #4
Buszaj
Program: Life Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 125 Times
It hasn't really decreased. Stayed the same or maybe went up a bit.

But I can't blame any student for it decreasing. Most students have to balance school, social life, work, and then exercise on top of that. It's a tough task.

Old 01-10-2012 at 02:50 PM   #5
Bug324
Program: Chemistry
Residence: LP 2011-12

Liked: 25 Times
I'm actually the opposite. I went to an arts high school for four years, and though the girls' sports teams there were actually quite good, I personally did not find I had enough time for sports extra-curriculars on top of wind ensemble/symphony orchestra/flute choir/pit orchestra. Also, my school wasn't within walking distance of my house, so I either got a ride or took the subway. I haven't really done any sports since grade 8.

However, since coming to Mac, I've been walking a lot more (Les Prince, lol, everything's so far away). I'm also on the varsity fencing team now, which is two evenings a week, during which the first hour is all regular fitness rather than actual fencing. I feel a lot healthier than I have in quite a while. I would definitely not be getting as much exercise if it was up to me to make an individual commitment to go to the gym, but being on a team gives me that extra push.
Old 01-10-2012 at 02:54 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 101 Times
since highschool i hardly exercise, so this is quite true. The only exercise i get is going to and from classes. And also going from home to school or vise versa
Old 01-10-2012 at 02:56 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
i excersize the brain muscle all day err day

Old 01-10-2012 at 05:28 PM   #8
Allan
Elite Member
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: Other

Liked: 115 Times
Didn't need to do a study to prove this. Just look how obese people are these days.
Old 01-10-2012 at 05:46 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
:| People who say that they're "too busy to exercise" are just fooling themselves.

Studying is most efficient when you take breaks. One can easily cut out 30 minutes/day of fooling around on the internet/watching TV to do some exercise.

Old 01-10-2012 at 07:56 PM   #10
nomchock
Program: Business
Year: Fourth

Liked: 31 Times
i don't understand how people think walking to/from res and around campus is a suitable (a better word may be sufficient)amount of exercise

to a degree, yes its better then nothing but you're absolutely fooling yourself if you're patting yourself on the back every night thinking "great job chief, i walked for a whole 20 minutes today!"

hit the gym, go for a run play some sports

studying and sleeping are infinitely easier if you have a focused mind
Old 01-11-2012 at 12:14 AM   #11
AngieC
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS !

Liked: 7 Times
I think the only way one can still get a decent amount of exercise in University is to join a team and go to practice , or have a super committed work out buddy (buddies) and make each other go to the pulse or the track or whatever else , other than that even the most committed work out person will eventually drift off their plan since there's no reason beyond their own will power to keep them going and we all know what happens to that

but that's just me : )
Old 01-11-2012 at 08:19 AM   #12
andrewjdg
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 30 Times
First year it significantly decreased. Now it's easy to go the gym 3-4x a week. Some people can find every excuse in the world to NOT exercise though, which is sad.
Old 01-11-2012 at 11:12 AM   #13
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
I found that my activity levels significantly dropped when I started university. However, I was a competitive racer in highschool and didn't have enough time in university to maintain the same level of competitiveness (I tried to race in my first year without training as often and ended up injuring myself). I turned to just coaching younger skaters when I had the time.
Since graduating, I have become more active than I ever was in highschool, training 5-7 times per week and I have continued to coach the younger skaters in the club.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search