MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
studying tips for CHEM ENG 2D04 MIDTERM jon.john23 Academics 9 10-02-2011 02:47 PM
studying for tests?! aw07 General Discussion 3 09-17-2011 12:08 AM
How do you organize your studying throughout the day? omgwtfitsp First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-15-2011 09:20 PM
Anyone else having trouble studying jeboi7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 01-11-2011 07:25 PM
Studying Methods sycoman Academics 2 09-15-2008 04:44 PM

studying for chem to the VERY last two days before

Old 10-12-2011 at 01:34 AM   #1
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

studying for chem to the VERY last two days before
I know this isss the fault of my oh so developed organizational skills...but has anyone everr left chem til the very last two days before the exam...i meaaan never opening the textbook, going to classes or reading the slides...and stil managed to pull a 70 + on the midterm....
Old 10-12-2011 at 01:36 AM   #2
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

whatevess first test is easy u just gotta hold it steady

JonC89 likes this.
Old 10-12-2011 at 06:21 AM   #3
omgwtfitsp
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

join the crew man! haha just try looking at the practise test and answering them with what you know. then afterwards, go through all the questions you didn't get right and look into their concepts into more detail like in the textbook or whichever.
Old 10-12-2011 at 07:47 AM   #4
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

Are you actually telling him thats okay....

Back to the real world: Try your best to read through all the slides, but more importantly work through all the practice problems you can.... and you will pass. Not sure about a 70+, but you may be a genius and pull an amazing mark. Not that a genius would pull what you just did, but definitely don't try that again.

You may not realize it now, but if you don't pull yourself together and attempt to get decent marks you're closing a lot of doors on yourself, specifically into upper year programs that have a higher CA cut-off. One chem midterm won't kill you, but you should learn from this. There's no point spending tens of thousands of dollars only to get a degree in a program you weren't interested in, since you missed the GPA cut-off of the program of your dreams by a measly one or two grade points... I've literally seen that happen (my friend missed the Biochem cut-off by 1.5 grade points and is now stuck in Bio.... not that Bio is a bad program, she just didn't want to stay in Life Sci, and Bio was the only other science program she got into after 1st year.)
Old 10-12-2011 at 07:56 AM   #5
lux

Liked: 318 Times

gET YO aCT TOGETHAaa & WELCOME TO UNIVERSITY!!!
Old 10-12-2011 at 07:59 AM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

I left studying to the Thursday before the test (the test was on Friday), I stayed up until 4AM. I still did good, but I WOULD NOT recommend it. I nearly fell asleep during the test... So it definitely is possible. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011 at 10:05 AM   #7
spyridm

Liked: 46 Times

It depends on how good you are at chem naturally... or if you are "naturally smart" (pardon me saying that< i hate the expression, but it is true)
I literally did no chem, (except for the labs and mastering chem) until the day before the midterms each time...now i could have gotten better if i studied before hand, but i did end up with 80+ on 3/4 midterms....
**N.B. 3/4 so be very careful
Old 10-12-2011 at 12:01 PM   #8
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Obviously this was not a good idea, but depending on how good you are at chem, I'd say a 70+ is definitely doable

I would say to go over the slides, make sure you understand all of the concepts and then practice them using the tutorials. I never found the textbook questions or MC very useful, but that's up to you. If you have time afterwards, then maybe do a practice midterm.

And make sure you study the real-life applications they put in the slides, there will definitely be a few questions about those concepts on the midterm
Old 10-12-2011 at 01:57 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

meh 2 days is lots of time. When you get to upper years that have 6 courses, all way more time consuming it becomes natural to get behind in courses and then cram last minute for midterms. You should have done something tho. doing nothing in a course is a real bad idea. Besides if i remember correctly first year chem is like 50% review on the first midterm, although it was one of the harder tests.
There some good traditions for some first year chem tests so listen up if any reps walk in after the test.
Old 10-12-2011 at 04:35 PM   #10
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

You said you never went to class?

If you just hadn't studied, I would have said you might have been able to scrape a 70. But never attending the lectures...
Old 10-12-2011 at 05:32 PM   #11
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw07 View Post
I know this isss the fault of my oh so developed organizational skills...but has anyone everr left chem til the very last two days before the exam...i meaaan never opening the textbook, going to classes or reading the slides...and stil managed to pull a 70 + on the midterm....
to answer your question, i did exactly ^^^ and failed the midterm...

it all depends on how good u r and dont think that b.c u got a 75+ in chem in high school, that u will be able to pull the same mark here ... first year chem tests are all multiple choice and can be tricky in some areas

anyway, like another above poster said...2 days is a lot of time...so get ur act together and start studying smart (which means do the tutorials, go over the slides and make sure u know everything inside out, and then do textbook questions)

best of luck on the midterm