MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Gap - 40% off + Free shipping Chad Student Deals & Discounts 0 09-13-2010 08:39 AM
The West Wing manaya Movies & Television 7 08-23-2010 08:35 PM
Substance free floor in Brandon Hall? Didi.a.g Brandon Hall Forum 10 08-19-2010 08:23 PM
If they were Free..? Sport fan Athletics & Recreation 18 03-30-2010 08:15 AM
Whidden Hall's Substance-Free wing? ppppp Whidden Hall Forum 5 07-09-2008 11:04 PM

Substance-Free Wing

Old 04-21-2009 at 03:56 PM   #16
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Nope, it's eighteen. My bf turned 18 the week before he came to university, then arrived at Mac no longer legally able to drink.

And yes, 4AM. University can turn you nocturnal or nocturnal-er.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-21-2009 at 06:06 PM   #17
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Drinking is not necessary to be part of a group in rez, if it is then they are not very good friends.
The drinking age in Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec is 18 and everywhere else is 19. And I enjoyed driving when I was 14, I believe at one point in Alberta you were able to get your learners at 12 if you lived on a farm so you could help out with the work.
There are many near nocturnal people in rez like one of my roommates who went to bed between 3 and 4 am and got up around 2 in the afternoon. Kind of annoying but I lived with it (probably should have complained but thats not who I am).
Old 04-23-2009 at 01:33 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Drinking is not necessary to be part of a group in rez, if it is then they are not very good friends.
You've obviously been reading the ads in the student centre bathrooms.

Something to the affect of friends can't have fun without drinking, maybe you need new friends.

I agree in any case.
Old 04-24-2009 at 12:55 PM   #19
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Bahahahahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
Yeah, I'm planning on applying to a substance-free wing.
Whats it like?
So. Substance free was on fourth floor whidden this year. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but realistically you are not going to find a substance free wing anywhere on campus. Most people on my floor this year did not even request substance free, yet, we were placed on this floor. Unfortunately... students will not change their lifestyles for that of others. The only real difference is that you cannot have open alcohol in the common room or hall ways.

All I can say is that you need to stay true to your own morals. If you have a real problem with people drinking around you, you might not enjoy rez... it's everywhere!
Old 04-30-2009 at 01:55 PM   #20
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Coming from an avid drinker, you do not need to booze up to have fun. I know a few guys that went through most of university without touching a drink yet hung out with people who drank a lot. Expect to see a lot of it, and expect that you might feel pressured a bit. But remember, when it comes down to it, you dont need to do it. Just say "Im fine without a drink thanks" at gatherings, most people are reasonable and will respect your decision.

Even if you choose not to hang out with drinkers in their happy hour, there is still plenty of fun to be had in clubs and the thousands of other on campus activities.

lorend, PilotMal all say thanks to ash0000 for this post.
Old 04-30-2009 at 06:09 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It can also be quite humouristic to be one of the only sober ones in the room...

Last edited by jhan523 : 04-30-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-01-2009 at 04:03 AM   #22
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
Just say "Im fine without a drink thanks" at gatherings, most people are reasonable and will respect your decision.
This.
I know people who don't drink, and they way they go about it makes a huge difference. If they just say they don't drink, or don't want a drink, no one bugs them about it. If they go on and on about it, and are, for lack of a better word, obnoxious about it, it annoys the other people there and they start pushing that person to drink and act obnoxious back (in this case, the person acts holier-than-thou for not drinking all the time, even when no one's drinking, like at 9am - it gets old fast).