MacInsiders Logo
Old 03-29-2010 at 03:01 PM   #1
Sport fan
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 2 Times
If they were Free..?
I got a lot of feedback on my last question so I thought I would post another one to see the feedback I get from it.

If McMaster Athletics were free (all of them from Football to Basketball and Volleyball) would you attend more games? If you're going to comment would you please also indicate if you have ever been to a McMaster sporting event.

Thanks for all your help

Cassanova likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 03-29-2010 at 03:09 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport fan View Post
If McMaster Athletics were free (all of them from Football to Basketball and Volleyball) would you attend more games? If you're going to comment would you please also indicate if you have ever been to a McMaster sporting event.
No and no.
Old 03-29-2010 at 03:39 PM   #3
rrtt
Elite Member
Faculty: Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 56 Times
No and yes.

Money isn’t the reason I don’t attend games. It's more my lack of interest. I am not a huge sports person.

Last edited by rrtt : 03-29-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Old 03-29-2010 at 03:55 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
No and no.
This..
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:07 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
No, and No. I don't care about the money, I just find sports boring.
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:09 PM   #6
Souldier
Account Disabled by User
Year: Second

Liked: 258 Times
No and no, I'm pretty sure most people that go to watch McMaster's sports teams play have friends on the team.
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:10 PM   #7
temptingf8
Elite Member
Program: Energy Engineering Technologies (Renewable)

Liked: 129 Times
No and yes.

I've been once, but that was because I was part of a team running an event next to the football field.

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 03-29-2010 at 04:45 PM   #8
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters

Liked: 453 Times
No and Yes, The only game I went to this year was to support a few girls on my floor that play so ticket price wasn't a real issue.
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:51 PM   #9
Serene
Elite Member
Program: Chemistry
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 173 Times
I prefer to participate in sports rather than watching them, makes me feel lazy in a way.

So no. And like the others mentioned, I don't think money is the issue here.
Old 03-29-2010 at 05:43 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
Yes. I go to football games whenever I can, but it's annoying to spend $10 every time. It really adds up, especially when I have to drive to watch the away games. If they were free, I would go to way more. Sometimes I don't go just because it costs a lot of money.

I don't know about volleyball or anything else though. I'm really only interested in our football team.
Old 03-29-2010 at 05:49 PM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport fan View Post
I got a lot of feedback on my last question so I thought I would post another one to see the feedback I get from it.

Thanks for all your help
I would not attend more games if they were free.

I have been to a McMaster sporting event before.
Old 03-29-2010 at 06:36 PM   #12
Katy
Account Disabled by User
Program: Environmental Science
Year: Third

Liked: 6 Times
I would go to ALOT more then I already do, and I go to quite a few. I think for the most part, unless its alumni, family, or friends that get dragged out to the games the majority of MAC students who attend games are fellow varsity athletes who are supporting their school. Just saying from a varsity athletes perspective.
Old 03-29-2010 at 07:05 PM   #13
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems

Liked: 598 Times
If you want more people to come out to games, it has nothing to do with money. It's a cultural issue.

Start studying how things work in the US - right from kindergarten, the school spirit/jock worship starts, and it is a deeply ingrained part of the culture. More people regularly attend high school football games in the states than the average university event in Canada.

As for answers to the questions - free games would not get me out more often, and yes, I've attended plenty of games in my time here.

scott000 likes this.
Old 03-29-2010 at 07:12 PM   #14
Kareko
Program: Biology
Year: Fifth

Liked: 8 Times
I would say no and no as well, though in first year I considered going to one becasue our CA seemed really enthusiastic and was completely turned off by the fact it was charged.

I think if you allowed ppl a few home games for free it might help with later turnout (maybe)
Old 03-29-2010 at 08:36 PM   #15
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor

Liked: 361 Times
Mens/Women's Soccer & Rugby are completely free but have much much lower attendance then the big 3 aka Football, Volleyball & Basketball.

Paradoxically the former two sports(more specifically) Rugby have also been very successful over the past few years. Men's Soccer won OUA Men's Division this year while Men's Rugby has won 5 OUA Gold's in the last 7 years or something.

Hence I guess it comes down to Taunton's point about culture, I have been playing competitive soccer since I was 10 so I guess it was natural for me to have an affinity for the Soccer team. I also attended alot of Rugby games because I like it much more then Football.

As much as I try I will never be able to enjoy or associate myself with Football, BasketBall or Volleyball the same way because those are not sports I grew up with.

But at the same time it is my major beef with a few organizations responsible for promoting sports on campus(athrec & maroons) that its usually the Big 3 that get all the attention and not Soccer for example that a has a massive minority following on campus. The minorities for example aren't familiar with the nuances of Volleyball or Football the same way traditionally Canadian culture is more focused on Football & not Soccer or Rugby. Hence they will usually not attend these sports in my opinion unless they are following their friends/housemates/floormates or have friends on the team etc.

If we have to promote sports ticket prices aren't the end and all solution, a lot of it is the culture shift that needs to be enacted. People need to build a connection with their teams, by connection I mean a point where they recognize player names and styles from a distance and start personally feeling good/bad at a win/loss.

Like in USA even college teams have some diehard fans who can openly be seen crying at a playoff loss! It is not that hard for us to reach that point if we try hard enough, I feel as if it is basic human nature to develop natural loyalty towards a "Group"(In this case a team).

UWO has free attendance so maybe you should start using them for cross analysis?

There was also this survey at Dalhousie that I can't that asked people why they attend or not attend games. I'll see if I can relocate it

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread