MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last Day to Pay for Summer 2010 classes? Shyne44 Financial Aid 3 05-23-2010 01:13 PM
Question Regarding Summer School Classes eleduc Academics 10 01-05-2010 10:05 PM
summer classes considered second rate darkstar General Discussion 3 08-26-2009 08:28 PM
Summer classes khaotic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-24-2009 06:52 AM
Summer Classes James Academics 3 03-23-2009 12:18 PM

Summer Classes + OSAP

Old 03-02-2011 at 04:16 AM   #1
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

Summer Classes + OSAP
Basically the government is paying for my tuition and so I'm really worried about summer courses.
Does anyone know how it works with OSAP? Or where I could find out?

Question 1: Will they cover it? [if not/they just don't because they're dumb and OSAP-ish, how much are the courses? Same as regular terms I reckon, right?]

Question 2: If they do cover it, how do I let them know I'm going to summer school? When will I get the money? [My sister basically handled my OSAP application in the summer so I'm a little hazy on how the whole thing works ...]

I think those are all of my concerns.

Thanks in advanced

P.S. I read a lot of the threads, but in a skimming fashion and never really got a straight answer from that so I'm asking again: I need two 7.0+ courses for the second year program, and if I take one of the courses in summer school will it count towards that?
Old 03-02-2011 at 04:59 AM   #2
dg1000

Liked: 0 Times

I think you should apply right now, make sure you have 6 units (2 courses) each semester for Spring/Summer 2011. Because you need a full course load to be eligible.

Fill in this Summer Addenum. http://sfas.mcmaster.ca/pdf/2011/summeraddendum.pdf

And hand it in to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Hope that helps!

Also, I think you can pick it up after 1 or 2 weeks of the start of Spring/Summer Term.

NOTE: You do not have to fill out another web application on the osap website for Spring/Summer Term.

Last edited by dg1000 : 03-02-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2011 at 07:56 AM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Yes they do cover it, I've taken summer courses with OSAP in the past.

You have to apply for it in the same manner as for the fall term: Go to the OSAP Website and fill in all the necessary details. They used to have a "summer school" section, but I'm not entirely sure if there still is, as the website has changed drastically.

If you're unsure/can't figure it out, drop into SFAS (School of Financial Aid and Scholarships) in Gilmore Hall and inquire. They should be extremely helpful.

----
P.S. Regarding your P.S. I'm not sure it will because your progress is checked annually after your 2nd semester but before the summer. I could be wrong though. But that usually isn't the end of the world, if you aren't "technically" registered in the honours program you'd like to be in, you can "shadow" it by registering in a general program (automatically happens) and taking the same courses you would be in that year.

Then if you successfully raise your average, you can reapply for entry next year (directly into 3rd year).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Mowicz : 03-02-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2011 at 10:44 AM   #4
Ziggi

Thank you for the help
I will definitely get on this quickly!

Another question while reading the application arose: will this screw up my OSAP for next year? [I'm already a little concerned because I have a job this year, and so they may not give me enough] and I am still planning on taking a full course load in Second Year. But reading through it it scared me a bit.
Has anyone had any problems regarding eligibility or whatever for the following year?

P.S. I'm kind of leaning towards that answer as well.
Hopefully I'm just worrying for nothing and my mark will be in good standing
Old 03-02-2011 at 12:37 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
Thank you for the help
I will definitely get on this quickly!

Another question while reading the application arose: will this screw up my OSAP for next year? [I'm already a little concerned because I have a job this year, and so they may not give me enough] and I am still planning on taking a full course load in Second Year. But reading through it it scared me a bit.
Has anyone had any problems regarding eligibility or whatever for the following year?

P.S. I'm kind of leaning towards that answer as well.
Hopefully I'm just worrying for nothing and my mark will be in good standing
My January release went up a couple hundred bucks dispite making a fair amount of money last semester. Can't help, other than that
Old 04-07-2011 at 01:06 AM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Where did you see the Friday deadline. I read it seven days within starting classes
Old 04-07-2011 at 07:24 PM   #7
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

So if we take one course per summer term, we would not be eligible for osap? and therefore would have to take 2 courses per term to be eligible?

any clarification would be highly appreciated
Old 04-07-2011 at 10:21 PM   #8
Ziggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post
So if we take one course per summer term, we would not be eligible for osap? and therefore would have to take 2 courses per term to be eligible?

any clarification would be highly appreciated
Yup. You need to have 4.5 unites per summer term [for 30 unit course load during regular year], but of course I've only ever heard of 3 unit courses, you need to take 2 courses [6 unites] per term.

So in total, you need 12 units all summer [2 courses per term]

I'm currently waiting for permission to take 2 courses in summer school, but handed in my OSAP already and they emailed me telling me to inform them when I get enrolled in the required number of courses