Summer Courses hishkabab Academics 7 01-11-2009 09:11 PM
Summer Courses neb21 Academics 2 12-20-2007 11:42 PM

Summer Courses in GPA

Old 12-24-2013 at 05:52 PM   #1
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time

Summer Courses in GPA
Hey guys,

How are summer courses calculated in the GPA. The reason I am asking is because I took a course this past summer and didn't do too great. However, This semester I did decent but if the summer mark from last summer is included in this year's GPA, it would really mess things up :S.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2013 at 06:01 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

CA (cumulative average) is calculated with all the courses you've taken in your university career. That being said, your summer courses will be included in the calculation of CA. That's what most programs look at.
Old 12-24-2013 at 07:04 PM   #3
gunsnroses

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
CA (cumulative average) is calculated with all the courses you've taken in your university career. That being said, your summer courses will be included in the calculation of CA. That's what most programs look at.
I actually had a similar question. But what I think the OP is asking is, would the summer course he/she took in first year be a part of their first year GPA or their second year GPA.

I had the same question, because, for me, on degree audit the summer course (which was taken in the summer of first year) appears with the courses I took during second year, however, on grade report, it appears with the courses I took first year. This would make a huge difference on my cGPA, because from what I've read cGPA is calculated by averaging the average GPA of each year, so it would be better if the course taken in the summer of first year were to be included in the average of first year.

Any clarification about what year this course would be associated with would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-24-2013 at 08:04 PM   #4
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
I actually had a similar question. But what I think the OP is asking is, would the summer course he/she took in first year be a part of their first year GPA or their second year GPA.

I had the same question, because, for me, on degree audit the summer course (which was taken in the summer of first year) appears with the courses I took during second year, however, on grade report, it appears with the courses I took first year. This would make a huge difference on my cGPA, because from what I've read cGPA is calculated by averaging the average GPA of each year, so it would be better if the course taken in the summer of first year were to be included in the average of first year.

Any clarification about what year this course would be associated with would be greatly appreciated!
Yeah, that's actually what I meant
Old 12-24-2013 at 08:54 PM   #5
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post

Sorry I misread your question. I can actually relate since I took summer courses after first year. I think it's included in the second year GPA since first year is already fixed. At least after it has been reviewed in May...
Old 12-25-2013 at 12:50 AM   #6
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

You're not technically in second year until classes start in September - you can't register in courses like SOC SCI 2EL0 over the summer before your second year because of that - so I would guess that it counts toward your first year.
Old 12-25-2013 at 01:45 AM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Just be aware that not all programs in 2nd year look at 1st year summer (engineering for example)
Old 12-25-2013 at 10:09 AM   #8
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
You're not technically in second year until classes start in September - you can't register in courses like SOC SCI 2EL0 over the summer before your second year because of that - so I would guess that it counts toward your first year.
actually you can as long as you have the pre-reqs. i took a second year course in the summer after first year. and OP on my degree audit it's added to the first year list.
Old 12-25-2013 at 10:41 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It's true that you're not considered in second year until September of your second year. You can still take some second year courses in the summer, just not ones that require you to be above level 1 (though many if not all of those you can get special permission to take anyways). The courses that simply have level 1 prereqs aren't a problem, though.

It counts towards your CA. There is no such thing as first year CA, second year CA, etc. CA encompasses ALL the courses you took at Mac, regardless of when you took them.
SA = sessional average. Spring/summer is considered a session, so if you take one course then and get a 12, then you have a SA of 12 for that session.

Having said that, for the purposes of Dean's list, the summer courses will count for your second year. I know that for a fact, otherwise I wouldn't have got Dean's list in my second year (9.4 SA but 12 and 11 in summer courses the summer before).