MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Fitness Tools jaason87 General Discussion 2 09-11-2010 11:38 PM
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
Fitness Classes at Mac icecreamcone General Discussion 13 08-27-2009 12:06 AM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM

Summer Fitness

Old 07-13-2010 at 09:13 PM   #15
vp15
Program: Life Science
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 4 Times
how do we stay healthy we residing on campus and have limited food choices? what are better options health wise with less fat and sugar and minimal calories?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-13-2010 at 09:55 PM   #16
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD
Year: Other

Liked: 141 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp15 View Post
how do we stay healthy we residing on campus and have limited food choices? what are better options health wise with less fat and sugar and minimal calories?
Cook for yourself, it's really the only way.

Everything on campus is either too expensive or is bad for you.
Old 07-13-2010 at 10:11 PM   #17
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language
Year: Fourth

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Cook for yourself, it's really the only way.

Everything on campus is either too expensive or is bad for you.
Agreed. Fortinos is just down the street, maybe 10-15 minutes walking distance. Stock up on fruits and veggies to eat between meals, they help with speeding up your metabolism and keeping you full.

I really want to start running on the rail trail, but I have crap shoes... must look into these nike shoes; too bad I'm broke.
Old 07-13-2010 at 11:33 PM   #18
Vic.And
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
There are good choices on campus too... commons is being renovated so can't really give you deets on anything there but take time to try out different places and things to eat on campus and you'll find a happy medium
Old 07-14-2010 at 12:59 AM   #19
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
I actually don't like running with music (plus my iPod is from before they had colour, so I don't think its supported ), and was planning on using the wristband. Would you still feel it was worth it if you had to pay $60 for it?

Also, zombiejesus, did you order them online or buy them in person?
Ye, I would get the $60 thing if I couldn't have the chip. I like to train for a goal so it would keep track of that for you.
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:34 AM   #20
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Quote:
I gained a lot more weight when I lived in residence than when I lived off-campus. Cooking your own meals is ideal. It's so much easier to gain weight when you're eating all of that deep fried or high carb meals. I ate a lot of chicken and tuna. Exercise is probably the most important aspect to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Oh, and binge drinking isn't that cool nor is it healthy.
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:37 AM   #21
Geek
Account Disabled by User
Program: Engineering Physics & Society, minor in Philosophy
Year: Fifth
Residence: Moulton Hall 07-08, Les Prince Hall 08-09, SOCS

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
- Don't get fries and a drink with your meal.
- Go vegetarian! Bridges has amazing, healthy food, and a lot of it is stir fried/baked so its not as terrible for you as a lot of other campus food. If not completely vegetarian then at least cut down on unhealthy meat in the form of burgers, chicken strips, deep fried anything, etc.
- Don't order pizza every night for a week (been there done that, terrible terrible idea)
- Instead of snacking on donuts/muffins/candy in between classes buy fruit and bring it to class.
- The calories in coffee/tea/pop/beer really add up
- Take a fitness class! i just started doing this (I'm taking dance classes) and its super fun and a decent workout. I wish I'd started before.
- Get enough sleep. When I pull all nighters and I'm exhausted the next day I eat more to feel better. It's gross.

First year in general will probably be terribly unhealthy, no matter how hard you try but you can attempt to minimize the damage. I started eating a lot better once I moved off campus and had to learn to cook for myself.
Old 07-14-2010 at 09:54 AM   #22
Scrappy
Faculty: Engineering
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1 Time
If you have an iPhone you can also use the RunKeeper (free) app. It uses GPS to track your runs. I use it and like it quite a bit. Their website is http://runkeeper.com/.

0t10, adrian all say thanks to Scrappy for this post.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:18 AM   #23
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Odd question: Does anybody else sneeze after they work out? I used to think it was just my sinuses that were acting up because...they always are. But after a surgery and even when I'm on all my antihistamines, it still happens.

A personal tip that I'd share is that if you experience tightness in your chest and a feeling like throwing up, or itchiness "inside" the chest cavity accompanied by laboured breathing and wheezing for prolonged periods of time after exercising, you might want to see your doctor to determine if you have asthma.
That's what happened to me all throughout middle school and I couldn't finish the same workouts everybody else did, thinking I was just out of shape or not trying hard enough.
I take 2 puffs of Ventolin now and it makes exercising a dramatically more enjoyable experience.

*This was not a paid advertisement.

Edit: Another thing I find really useful is timing your runs (especially your runs) to songs, not minutes. I also recommend breaking periodically for stretches and doing at least 10 minutes or 15 minutes if you can of a walk afterward (just a walk to reduce some of that burn)
As well, since cardio is really important, it may help to remember that any form of intense movement where you're pushing yourself could qualify so breaking into a dance for 5 minutes between a run may look stupid but it'll probably help you laugh and not feel as drained out, especially if you're starting.

@Feona: A lot of companies seem to have equally good running shoes. Nikes are definitely a nice investment, I only own one pair of shoes that are not Nikes but there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
Your shoes should fit your foot type. So even though they constantly tout their newest releases, you might be able to find a nice pair of "uglier" Nikes or running shoes that provide your foot with the stability it needs instead of buying a $150+ pair that is effectively useless for you personally. Since my feet have no arches, Shox don't really do anything for me but my orthotics do wonders. Turns out I needed a shoe with foam instead of the ones I have, which costs less than half the price.

Another thing I'd like to share - if you are buying Nikes, I'd recommend looking into their newer releases: I think they have a Livestrong line now for 100 bucks or 120? I never knew that the classic Nikes (the casual street shoes with the large swoosh symbol) had a leather base, for anybody who doesn't wear leather. (I found out after 5 pairs of Nikes)

http://www.nikebiz.com/media/pr/2009...rPolic y.html

Some of the newer models have plastic and foam and rubber though.

As well: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19930508/

Never has my apparel disgusted me more.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-14-2010 at 10:33 AM.

adrian likes this.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:26 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Odd question: Does anybody else sneeze after they work out? I used to think it was just my sinuses that were acting up because...they always are. But after a surgery and even when I'm on all my antihistamines, it still happens.

A personal tip that I'd share is that if you experience tightness in your chest and a feeling like throwing up, or itchiness "inside" the chest cavity accompanied by laboured breathing and wheezing for prolonged periods of time after exercising, you might want to see your doctor to determine if you have asthma.
That's what happened to me all throughout middle school and I couldn't finish the same workouts everybody else did, thinking I was just out of shape or not trying hard enough.
I take 2 puffs of Ventolin now and it makes exercising a dramatically more enjoyable experience.

*This was not a paid advertisement.
Also, if you feel like vomiting chances are you should slow down your workout. Walk around a bit. there really is no point in working out that hard if you are just going to feel sick and vomit, it totally kills your workout.
Old 07-14-2010 at 10:35 AM   #25
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
I gained a lot more weight when I lived in residence than when I lived off-campus. Cooking your own meals is ideal. It's so much easier to gain weight when you're eating all of that deep fried or high carb meals. I ate a lot of chicken and tuna. Exercise is probably the most important aspect to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Oh, and binge drinking isn't that cool nor is it healthy.
I enjoy watching people get wasted and then claiming: They must head to the gym the next day!
Kidneys & liver > fat cells (in terms of importance)

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-14-2010 at 12:36 PM   #26
Jellybeanz
Program: Science

Liked: 23 Times
I know that this is going to sound terribly cliché, but if you have trouble finding motivation to maintain a regular workout routine, find a sport or activity that you enjoy (especially if you're like me and can't stand running/jogging)! Whether it's volleyball, ultimate frisbee, swimming or hockey, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a decent workout and the best part is that it doesn't feel tedious like a regular workout because you're enjoying yourself.

These activities don't have to be at a competitive level by any means. Simply join an intramural team, or round up a group of friends! I play hockey during the winter, and though I'm not particularly good at it, I find myself completely exhausted after a game. Also, most sports develop more aspects of your overall fitness such as hand-eye coordination, balance and functional strength in comparison to isolation workouts or simply running on a elliptical machine.
Old 07-14-2010 at 04:36 PM   #27
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeanz View Post
I know that this is going to sound terribly cliché, but if you have trouble finding motivation to maintain a regular workout routine, find a sport or activity that you enjoy (especially if you're like me and can't stand running/jogging)! Whether it's volleyball, ultimate frisbee, swimming or hockey, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a decent workout and the best part is that it doesn't feel tedious like a regular workout because you're enjoying yourself.

These activities don't have to be at a competitive level by any means. Simply join an intramural team, or round up a group of friends! I play hockey during the winter, and though I'm not particularly good at it, I find myself completely exhausted after a game. Also, most sports develop more aspects of your overall fitness such as hand-eye coordination, balance and functional strength in comparison to isolation workouts or simply running on a elliptical machine.
Also, you're more likely to have varied workouts if you do a bunch of different fitness classes or sports which tricks the muscles and gets them to work harder. If you just end up going to the gym and doing the elliptical eventually the body gets used to the routine and doesn't use up as much energy and you'll lose less weight.
Old 07-14-2010 at 05:09 PM   #28
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD

Liked: 141 Times
Asics over Nike anyday.
Old 07-15-2010
theks
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Article Tools