MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
summer course residence wonnamp Residence & Housing 8 02-28-2010 08:22 PM
Summer Positions: Scotia Global Risk Management Hiring For Summer! Alison MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-08-2010 03:04 PM
HSR Summer passes for Summer Students? aviaf General Discussion 3 05-13-2009 03:52 AM
The Residence Flu katie_batt General Discussion 9 09-19-2008 12:27 PM

summer residence

Old 10-28-2008 at 12:44 PM   #1
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

summer residence
hey
I am living on-campus rt now and was wondering what are my options for living on campus or close to the univ during summer..so i can attend summer school plus i need a place to reside nyways.
also how effective are summer school courses and is the 2 month time period enough to get through the course and understand the material well?

thanks
Old 10-28-2008 at 03:05 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hey Minnie,
The rez that's open during the summertime is Keyes and you can definitely choose to stay in there. However, I'd also recommend looking into an off-campus room as they'd be much more likely to be cheaper since there will be people looking to sublet their rooms when they're away.

As for summer school courses, I had found that they are just as effective if not more. You only have to focus on two subjects instead of five at once. The classes are usually in three hour chuncks twice a week, which can be someone draining. However, it's all definitely about your preference.
Old 10-28-2008 at 05:14 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I agree with Temara. Keep in mind that if you live on campus during the summer it's going to be a lot quieter and only La Piazza will be operating (Commons occasionally)

Old 10-28-2008 at 05:30 PM   #4
Richa

ooh thanks for letting me know bout keyes..and i guess i'll be looking into the offcampus res. 2..
but for oncampus..do they charge you the same amount for living on campus as during the school year?...or do they have some other payment charges?...also about the courses is it necessary that you take 2 of them?...or is it recommended to take 2?
n what is the summer school period?...does it start immediately as our school year ends?
Old 10-28-2008 at 07:45 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

The summer school year starts in May. Exactly what day would be released probably sometime around March. It would end in August, usually early-mid of that month. Like with the regular school year, you have two semesters. May and June, then July and August. Some classes are full summer courses, so all 4 months, some are only half, ie: one of the two terms.

I've never heard if it being necessary that you take at least 2 summer courses and it would only be recommended if you actually needed those courses. You can talk to an academic advisor about the details but the courses that are going to be offered for summer school won't be available till around March on the Registrar's website. On the other hand, you could always ask upper years of your program as to which courses are usually offered in the summer, to give you an idea.
For example: Latin and Greek are never offered, there's not enough interest, while several 1st year Eng courses are.

Last edited by lorend : 10-28-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 at 08:55 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Actually the Registrar's office has long already posted info as to the start/end dates of spring/summer 2009:

Term 1 -- Mon May 4 - Fri Jun 19
Term 2 -- Mon Jun 22 - Fri Aug 7

But your courses will only be twice a week (as previously stated), unless you have labs (e.g. for science courses), and to my knowledge, there are no Friday classes.

The maximum recommended number of courses you can take per term is 2. So from May to August, you could take 1 - 4 courses.
Old 10-28-2008 at 09:43 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

You are right in saying that there are no classes on Friday

Old 10-29-2008 at 01:51 AM   #8
Richa

thank u so much for the information
Old 10-29-2008 at 07:18 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
Actually the Registrar's office has long already posted info as to the start/end dates of spring/summer 2009:

Term 1 -- Mon May 4 - Fri Jun 19
Term 2 -- Mon Jun 22 - Fri Aug 7

But your courses will only be twice a week (as previously stated), unless you have labs (e.g. for science courses), and to my knowledge, there are no Friday classes.

The maximum recommended number of courses you can take per term is 2. So from May to August, you could take 1 - 4 courses.
You actually may have a class scheduled on Friday, but during the day. It is not very likely, though.

Also, some programs offer courses during the day as well as at night M-F. So it is possible to do three courses each term if you really wanted to.

But, if you are thinking about working this summer you don't want to over-burden yourself, especially if you're working full-time hours.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-30-2008 at 10:32 PM   #10
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I'm surprised no one mentioned Les Prince.
Well I lived in Les Prince for a week this summer. Awesome considering there were some people in there when I stayed. Also quite a lot of people run daily on the olympic track and frisbee games keep happening on the olympic track field.
To add to that Summer Camps take place. So there's a lesser chance of you feeling lonely.

Plus If you're planning to stay for more than a month, you'll be paying $25/27 per day. That's pretty much what people on campus are paying now for Les Prince.

DO NOT go for Keyes unless you have more people planning to share the apartment, Keyes is Expensive unless you're cool with a $3000-ish / month rent for it...

And I have a question of my own...is 4 the Maximum number of courses I can take?
Can't I take like a special permission and do 6 courses?
Old 10-31-2008 at 07:25 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It depends on when the courses you want to take are offered, as I mentioned above.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-01-2008 at 06:07 PM   #12
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Yes, you could potentially obtain permission to take 6 courses, but really, would you want to spend your summer taking that many courses...?

Also, isn't 6 courses considered full-time? Or do all summer students automatically get part-time status? (just curious if anyone knows...)
Old 11-01-2008 at 06:56 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

3 classes each term is considered full-time. Most summer students are considered part-time students because of this.

Old 11-01-2008 at 07:08 PM   #14
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
The summer school year starts in May. Exactly what day would be released probably sometime around March. It would end in August, usually early-mid of that month. Like with the regular school year, you have two semesters. May and June, then July and August. Some classes are full summer courses, so all 4 months, some are only half, ie: one of the two terms.

I've never heard if it being necessary that you take at least 2 summer courses and it would only be recommended if you actually needed those courses. You can talk to an academic advisor about the details but the courses that are going to be offered for summer school won't be available till around March on the Registrar's website. On the other hand, you could always ask upper years of your program as to which courses are usually offered in the summer, to give you an idea.
For example: Latin and Greek are never offered, there's not enough interest, while several 1st year Eng courses are.
To be more specific about the ENG courses... all of the first year courses are offered in the summer with the exception of ENG 1P03 (due to it being a 2-term course).
Old 11-01-2008 at 09:15 PM   #15
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
To be more specific about the ENG courses... all of the first year courses are offered in the summer with the exception of ENG 1P03 (due to it being a 2-term course).

ENG 1P03 is offered as part of LEAP in the summer. I know two people who took it...

And well the only reason I want to take as many courses as possible over the summer is...
Because...
A. If I change faculties I dont wanna start from year one.
B. If I remain with my faculty, I wanna finish stupid courses like 1P03 in 4 weeks instead of 8 months...

I'll go ask them about taking 6 courses over the summer.