MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Degroote School of Business (2009) lorend Academics 25 07-16-2009 05:30 PM
Summer Orientation Program 2009 Lizz87 MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-04-2009 12:05 PM

summer school 2009

Old 02-22-2009 at 05:21 PM   #31
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

I'm in Engineering 1. Is it possible to take courses for 2nd year course during the summer? Do I have to get permission from the dean?
Old 02-22-2009 at 06:09 PM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You can take second year courses, yes. However, if you fail the prerequisite course this term and/or are not accepted into Engineering you will not be able to complete the course.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-22-2009 at 06:56 PM   #33
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

Does anyone happen to know who the Department Head for Mathematics is?
Old 02-22-2009 at 08:43 PM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Pelinovsky is the undergraduate Chair. Boden is the department chair.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-22-2009 at 08:57 PM   #35
jade177

Liked: 8 Times

So, if I'm a first year student wanting to take a summer school course through another school, which of the two do I talk to?
Old 02-22-2009 at 11:51 PM   #36
neff

Liked: 0 Times

does mac offer any online summer courses?
Old 02-23-2009 at 08:29 AM   #37
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

The Spring/Summer 2009 Master Timetable is now up.

https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Old 02-23-2009 at 05:28 PM   #38
johnaa

When can we start applying for summer school?
Old 02-23-2009 at 11:27 PM   #39
Skip

hey guys, i have 2 questions:

how much will the tuition cost if i did 2 courses over one term? these are social science/ humanities electives i plan on taking, so yeah.

and secondly,

where do we find out about the courses offered at mac sumer school?

thanks.
Old 02-24-2009 at 02:01 AM   #40
jt7788

I've heard of people taking online courses from other universities in the past. Does anyone know which universities we can take courses from?
Old 02-24-2009 at 09:58 AM   #41
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

I know each faculty has a set of preapproved courses that are considered to be equivalents. Usually they are a list of courses that students have already taken and have been reviewed by professors in the past.
I'm not sure about others, but if you are in the faculty of science, check out http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...lop2/equiv.php

As well, I was told that if you are interested in taking a course at another university and think it may qualify as an equivalent, you may submit it to the Dean's office. This just requires you to contact the other university and obtain a detailed course outline so that the professor can compare course material.
Once again though, this is what I was told for the faculty of science, so i'm not sure if it's true for others.
Old 02-24-2009 at 02:43 PM   #42
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
I know each faculty has a set of preapproved courses that are considered to be equivalents. Usually they are a list of courses that students have already taken and have been reviewed by professors in the past.
I'm not sure about others, but if you are in the faculty of science, check out http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~as...lop2/equiv.php

As well, I was told that if you are interested in taking a course at another university and think it may qualify as an equivalent, you may submit it to the Dean's office. This just requires you to contact the other university and obtain a detailed course outline so that the professor can compare course material.
Once again though, this is what I was told for the faculty of science, so i'm not sure if it's true for others.
Actually, each faculty doesn't have pre-approved courses that are considered to be equivalents. Science does for sure. The rest of the faculties don't seem to.

bugab00 says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 02-24-2009 at 03:27 PM   #43
leah.d

You seem the have the answers Dan. Do you know when is the first day that I can register on SOLAR for spring summer session 09? I cannot find the date anywhere on the stupid unorganized Mac website!
Old 02-24-2009 at 03:31 PM   #44
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
hey guys, i have 2 questions:

how much will the tuition cost if i did 2 courses over one term? these are social science/ humanities electives i plan on taking, so yeah.
Here are the fees per unit:
http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/SAC_fees.htm

Quote:
and secondly,

where do we find out about the courses offered at mac sumer school?

thanks.
The Master Timetable, which is at this link (as posted earlier by someone else).
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Old 02-24-2009 at 03:34 PM   #45
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

And I don't believe it says anywhere what the opening date for registration is yet.

If you check MUGSI, SOLAR should show up soon with an opening date, or I think it show up on this page: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /regis...egistered.html

So far, I can only see that the registrar gives people until May 8 to add courses. (http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /registered/)