MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
! Summer School / Co-op Help Kurt_ Academics 9 05-02-2009 11:06 AM
Summer School fleenagirl Academics 1 04-29-2009 06:29 PM
Summer school :( tammy37 Academics 3 12-24-2008 11:49 PM

Summer School?

Old 02-23-2011 at 01:12 PM   #1
MacDai

Liked: 0 Times

Summer School?
I am pretty confused about the summer school registration, would someone please help
I heard that you can take 2 semister of courses, one from may to june, and one from july to augest.
My question is that do we pick the time when we want to take it or does it depend on the schedule that the school provide? If the school provide the schedule, when does it come out? Since I am going to plan my vacation soon.

Within the summer, can i take any course that i wish? even the pass/fail or normal credit course or electives?

I have also heard that when you take the course in summer school, they will not count that average towards your GPA, so is it worth it if i take nursing stats NURSING 2R03 INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS FOR NURSING?

please give me some suggestions,
Thanks
Old 02-23-2011 at 01:17 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm pretty sure you can take more, I think it's up to 12 units, it could be more but I'm not too sure. The timetable was released today https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/ so now you can look when everything is. Any course you take at mac will count towards your GPA, but it may be a good idea to get stats out of the way because it's the only course you'll have to focus on, instead of worrying about your other courses on top of stats.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:25 PM   #3
MacDai

Thanks, but i'm not too sure how the website works, i've used it before. However, how can i tell the course that i select is for summer or just normal school year?
And how would i know if it is may to june or july to augest?
if its says 1D, does that mean it's may to june?
Old 02-26-2011 at 09:27 PM   #4
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Under session make sure you have selected "spring/summer 2011" then it will tell you what's being offered in the spring/summer if you see a course that says "NOT OFFERED" that means it won't be during the spring/summer session.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

MacDai says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 10:04 PM   #5
MacDai

for nusing stats,
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/... =2R03&t=1&d=D
does that mean that its offered in term 1 of may to june? how do you check how many hours in total?
Old 02-26-2011 at 11:06 PM   #6
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

The spring summer runs the same as the normal year. 1 means May - June, 2 means July - August and 3 means May - August. That course is offered in term 1, may 2nd till June 17

There are two cores that run Monday and Wednesday from 9 am till 12 or Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am till 12. So you have two classes a week for 3 hours each and you are lucky enough to have the option of either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday.

You can only take 12 units in the summer without special permission.

You can book your classes beginning march 22 and the stats class you want says you must have permission from the instructor but doesn't list an instructor so you'll want to look into that soon.

MacDai says thanks to darkstar for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 11:09 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

If the instructor isn't listed, you can try to give the department a call and ask if they have assigned anyone yet. Sometimes the professor just isn't listed.

MacDai says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 02-26-2011 at 11:22 PM   #8
MacDai

I was wondering where would i book the class after i recieve the permission? online or in person somewhere?

ps. Thanks for all the replies. it helped me alot
Old 02-26-2011 at 11:33 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDai View Post
I was wondering where would i book the class after i recieve the permission? online or in person somewhere?

ps. Thanks for all the replies. it helped me alot
Once you get permission, you will be able to register via SOLAR.

MacDai says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:50 PM   #10
omgmt

Liked: 21 Times

Does anyone know how much it costs?
I have a CST plan and apparently they pay for the full time studies and if i were to take summer school , since it's part time do you think they'd pay for that too? :S
Old 03-02-2011 at 06:55 PM   #11
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmt View Post
Does anyone know how much it costs?
A course from the science department were $525 last year.
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:25 PM   #12
jh890

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
The spring summer runs the same as the normal year. 1 means May - June, 2 means July - August and 3 means May - August. That course is offered in term 1, may 2nd till June 17

There are two cores that run Monday and Wednesday from 9 am till 12 or Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am till 12. So you have two classes a week for 3 hours each and you are lucky enough to have the option of either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday.

You can only take 12 units in the summer without special permission.

You can book your classes beginning march 22 and the stats class you want says you must have permission from the instructor but doesn't list an instructor so you'll want to look into that soon.
Are you sure that the registration for summer courses is March 22nd? I want to know so I can pick my courses fast!

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011 at 01:26 PM   #13
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh890 View Post
Are you sure that the registration for summer courses is March 22nd? I want to know so I can pick my courses fast!

Thanks!
March 21st now.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /registered/

Jason036 says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 03-08-2011 at 10:39 PM   #14
jh890

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2011 at 07:48 PM   #15
cypher

Liked: 7 Times

This might be a stupid question, but just wanted to clarify: registration doesn't even open until the 21st? I heard it was going to up during the first week of March...or at least that's what Sally Williams told me.