MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
what is summer school like? x1chinadollx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-30-2011 08:24 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Hard Courses During Fall/Winter or Spring/Summer? smiles Academics 14 08-20-2009 09:37 PM

Summer school credits towards changing fall/winter CA

Old 05-30-2011 at 12:44 AM   #1
quiazorj

Liked: 0 Times

Summer school credits towards changing fall/winter CA
Can summer school credits be accounted towards the CA achieved during the year? And could it possibly help towards 2nd year program eligibility? please help.
Old 05-30-2011 at 01:47 AM   #2
zorattiMatt

Liked: 1 Time

I posted a very similar question to yours about 20 minutes ago... except mine took 1500 characters and included half a dozen other specific questions, haha! So far, I was told to talk to an academic adviser.
Old 05-30-2011 at 06:37 AM   #3
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiazorj View Post
Can summer school credits be accounted towards the CA achieved during the year? And could it possibly help towards 2nd year program eligibility? please help.
The grades you get from summer school counts for next years GPA. Let's say you just finished first year and now you are taking summer school, your sessional average for 1st year is set and final, and the summer school grades will be accounted for in your 2nd year's sessional average.

As for your 2nd question... it depends. Some program will allow you to finish a required course for eligibility during the summer and it is usually explicitly stated on your grade report. It will say something like:

ELIGIBLE FOR ___________,
MUST COMPLETE (course) DURING SUMMER 2010

If it doesn't... then its usually tough luck.
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:05 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
The grades you get from summer school counts for next years GPA. Let's say you just finished first year and now you are taking summer school, your sessional average for 1st year is set and final, and the summer school grades will be accounted for in your 2nd year's sessional average.

As for your 2nd question... it depends. Some program will allow you to finish a required course for eligibility during the summer and it is usually explicitly stated on your grade report. It will say something like:

ELIGIBLE FOR ___________,
MUST COMPLETE (course) DURING SUMMER 2010

If it doesn't... then its usually tough luck.
Summer school is a session in itself, separated from the fall/winter session. I think you are mixing it up with the review, there academic review only occurs in may or august but ONLY IF the student has taken 18 units since the last academic review. Most people take more than 18 units in winter/fall, but not in spring/summer. As a result, the courses in spring/summer are taking into account the following year for things such as the DHL or PL.
Old 05-30-2011 at 02:31 PM   #5
quiazorj

What's DHL or PL?

so I want to get into molecular bio and genetics, but i didn't get in. and im hoping to get in by the beginning of third year. can i still shadow the courses of this program during second year? im so confused on what to do next.
Old 05-30-2011 at 03:02 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
What's DHL or PL?

so I want to get into molecular bio and genetics, but i didn't get in. and im hoping to get in by the beginning of third year. can i still shadow the courses of this program during second year? im so confused on what to do next.
DHL is Dean's Honour List and PL is the Provost List.

Yes, should be too hard. There aren't any 2nd year Mol Biol courses, in fact most students in biology or biology related programs take roughly the same courses.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1930.html

You don't have to take Stats this year either. The material is that of level II but it's actually a course designed for 3rd years who plan to take a thesis in 4th year.

So basically just take a bunch of bio, which you should be doing anyways.
Old 05-30-2011 at 03:17 PM   #7
quiazorj

thanks a lot! now i have at least some idea on what to do in the fall
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:45 PM   #8
quiazorj

one last question, im taking a course this summer cause i failed it during the year. Would that mark still be accounted towards my CA of second year? or would it go on my first year transcript? cause it would seem pretty illogical if someone were to fail a course retake, and it wouldnt affect their CA.
Old 05-30-2011 at 11:55 PM   #9
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Your sessional average cannot be changed, only your CA will be affected. Entrance to second year programs is based on seasonal averages.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:00 AM   #10
quiazorj

im aware that the failed course will still be taken into account. but the CA will change when i repeat the course right? and if this does happen, is it possible i can get reviewed again for the programs i want?
(straight answers would be very helpful please; no jibberjabber)
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:03 AM   #11
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
im aware that the failed course will still be taken into account. but the CA will change when i repeat the course right? and if this does happen, is it possible i can get reviewed again for the programs i want?
(straight answers would be very helpful please; no jibberjabber)
What dont you understand? Maybe you should read what i had posted again. Your sessional average will not change which is what is used to determine if you are eligible for the program. If your current sessional average does not meed the required average you WILL NOT be able to reapply until then end of the 11/12.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:16 AM   #12
quiazorj

i sorta get it now, just checked that CA and sessional average are different. it seems unfair that if you fail something it won't really help out until the following year, not the upcoming one. :(