MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer school before 1st Year TeleKey Academics 5 06-15-2010 07:24 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
HELP with summer school and 2nd year program!!! jh890 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-09-2009 12:49 AM
More than 6 Units at Summer School Shaan_7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 04-19-2009 02:36 PM
Summer School, 2nd year commerce dhillon11 Academics 1 04-11-2009 11:19 AM

summer school or more units in 2nd year??

Old 01-19-2011 at 12:32 AM   #1
rmfldkdtm

Liked: 1 Time

summer school or more units in 2nd year??
so im in first year commerce

i might drop a 3unit course

so my total unit in first year would be 27

to make them 30units

do i have to take summer school or i can take 33units in 2nd year

cuz i dun really like taking summer school
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:39 AM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfldkdtm View Post

to make them 30units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
minimum of 24 to go onto year 2, to get into honors commerce 3 you will need to take an additional 2 courses.
Taken from a recent thread

Here is the official statement from the University that agrees with above post.

Last edited by PHLN : 01-19-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:53 AM   #3
rmfldkdtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Taken from a recent thread

Here is the official statement from the University that agrees with above post.
so does that mean i dun have to do summer school?
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:56 AM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:

to make them 30units

you could take 33 units in second year if you have a 7.0 CA. I strongly suggest you dont, second year commerce is much more difficult than first year and in order to do well you will need to have excellent time management to deal with 6 courses.
Old 01-19-2011 at 12:57 AM   #5
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
so does that mean i dun have to do summer school?
I fixed the first link.

From the info, it doesn't look like you have to do summer school for this year given that you meet all other requirement and not solely on units.

Quote:
you could take 33 units in second year if you have a 7.0 CA. I strongly suggest you dont, second year commerce is much more difficult than first year and in order to do well you will need to have excellent time management to deal with 6 courses.
I agree with this.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:10 AM   #6
rmfldkdtm

Quote:
so say i have a CA below 7, they dun let me take extra unit?
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:11 AM   #7
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
so say i have a CA below 7, they dun let me take extra unit?
That is correct, you will not be able to overload or take 33 units.
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:19 AM   #8
rmfldkdtm

Quote:
That is correct, you will not be able to overload or take 33 units.
so if my CA is below 7.0 end of the year, my only choice is to take summer school?
Old 01-19-2011 at 01:23 AM   #9
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Quote:
so if my CA is below 7.0 end of the year, my only choice is to take summer school?
yes, if you have CA below 7 in first year i strongly suggest you either reconsider your program choice or too start trying. To actually be successful with a B. Com degree from Mcmaster you need a high CA. Mcmaster is not a feeder school and you really have to network hard and have the grades to back it up. So too reiterate start trying, every mark matters.
Old 01-19-2011 at 07:19 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Nevermind! lol

Old 04-11-2011 at 12:42 AM   #11
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

hey man, this is prob too late, however instead of overloading in 2nd year. you could just take summer school this year. if you're already done all 30 units, you could instead just take some summer courses for 2nd yr this summer. essentially they have this thing call spring/summer, atm we've completed fall/winter. anyways there is 2 terms that are 1 month ea. term 1 - may- mid jun and term 2 - near end of june-auugust. and you're only allowed a maximum of 12 units total or 4 classes in summer. so personally, im taking 2 courses per term because its easy and basicalyl for commerce classes you would meet on either mon and weds or tues and thurs depending on course and its 3 hrs per class so 6 hrs a week. usually it will be something like mons and weds you're either early in day and on tues and thurs that course will be late at night 7-9. im recommending you should do this. because each year you need 30 units or 10 classes. so why not break you're workload into 4 terms? so take 2 summer terms. so you'll be: 2 course, 2 course | during school year you can do 3 in term 1, and then 4 in term 2. that way everything is more spread out and you can concentrate much better and dedicate more of your studying time to each course. because i heard that in 2nd yr. if you're taking 5 courses per term. it feels like you have a midterm every other week( my guess is that you have like 2 or 3 midterms for every class) and i heard that usually there is one on friday night, and then one way early on sat night. so i think if you went 2, 2, 3, 4 or 2, 2, 4, 3 you would have less quizzes, tests, assignments, midterms and so more time to study. that way you're work will be higher quality and you will get better marks and you're CA will be high, this is crucial because you need a 6.0 to get into honours b.a. commerce in 3rd yr, and you need high CA for internship if you're interested in 4th yr. sorry for this long-ass boring paragraph.