MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about summer school and grad school apps bruni Academics 4 05-05-2012 07:05 AM
High School/Grade 11/Summer School. cchels Academics 20 01-23-2012 09:43 PM
Night/Summer School? (high school level) Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-20-2011 01:12 PM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Summer School...your thoughts?

Old 11-06-2012 at 12:31 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Summer School...your thoughts?
I am a first year Commerce student looking to take summer classes to ease the workload of next year. I also plan on getting a part-time job nearby to help make money to pay off my student debt. Here are my proposed options at the moment:

Option #1 - Take 2 courses both in the FIRST semester of summer school, and get a part-time job for the entire summer (I'd just set my work schedule around classes). This option would mean I would have a month and a half off the second half of the summer so I could get more hours in at work and maybe work-in a trip with friends somewhere.

Option #2 - Take 2 courses, one in EACH of the semesters of summer school. I would get a part time job and also base my work schedule around classes. This would ease my workload from school and give me a more consistent amount of part-time work. The disadvantage is that I will have basically no summer off. No free time at all and will be put right back into more coursework in September.

What do you think? Anyone with previous experience of this wort of situation?
Old 11-06-2012 at 12:50 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

i wouldnt even take summer school since i think its best to take 5 courses/term no matter what. if it were me, i'd just work all summer and just do the courses i need to in 2nd year. if only considering the options you laid out, i'd go with the first one. get summer school done asap and then just work and relax the rest of summer.
Old 11-06-2012 at 02:26 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Or you could take night classes and work full time during the summer. That is what most people do.

Commie42 says thanks to starfish for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-06-2012 at 02:40 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
i wouldnt even take summer school since i think its best to take 5 courses/term no matter what. if it were me, i'd just work all summer and just do the courses i need to in 2nd year. if only considering the options you laid out, i'd go with the first one. get summer school done asap and then just work and relax the rest of summer.
2nd year business is brutal. Definitely reducing my course-load over the summer.
Old 11-06-2012 at 03:03 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Many people took like 2aa3 accounting or 2ba3 organizational behaviour in the summer to ease the work load. I would take 2 in 1 term (if you can handle it mind you it is fast paced) or 1 night class each term +part time

Commie42 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-06-2012 at 03:08 PM   #6
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

i took stats and OB in the summer just to ease the course load for second year. you can still work because class is only 2 days a week. It really helps because second year commerce is a lot of work.

Commie42 says thanks to shreebee for this post.

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-06-2012 at 03:17 PM   #7
Commie42
Elite Member

Would you guys recommend 2 night classes in one term instead of 2 day classes in one term?
Old 11-06-2012 at 03:40 PM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
Would you guys recommend 2 night classes in one term instead of 2 day classes in one term?
It depends entirely on you and whether you function better in the day or night. Some people don't like being in school until 10 pm. I take full time course loads and have done for the past 2 summers. It's a lot of work to keep up with, but remember that exams are in class and end in July. You have the entire month of August off.

Commie42 says thanks to lizziepizzie for this post.
Old 11-06-2012 at 04:34 PM   #9
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I would take a full summer courseload... I always liked getting my required courses outta the way so I could take just a few during the year with electives. A full summer courseload (4 courses) allows you to get summer OSAP and will seriously take a load off your mind for the year.

I'm in econ and a lot of friends in classes are in commerce and from what I understand, econ 2X03 and finance are the common ones to take in the summer. Take the former with Holmes... trust. A lot of 2nd year econs are offered in the summer as well, a lot of commerce students take them as electives.

As Lizzie said, you get the month of August off... for me, it's more than enough time for rest. It's not hard at all to work part time and do full time summer school, I've always done it working 20 or so hours. You definitely have enough time to have fun. The pressure it takes off you during the year is worth it.
Old 11-06-2012 at 05:18 PM   #10
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

I'm thinking about taking summer courses too. A lot of the upper years I have talked to say that the workload really picks up in second-year commerce.

Does anyone know when the list of courses for the spring/summer sessions come out?

Commie42 likes this.
Old 11-06-2012 at 06:01 PM   #11
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I'm thinking about taking summer courses too. A lot of the upper years I have talked to say that the workload really picks up in second-year commerce.

Does anyone know when the list of courses for the spring/summer sessions come out?
I believe it comes out some time in feb-march. but not 100% sure

Brendan says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 11-06-2012 at 06:08 PM   #12
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHiggins View Post
2nd year business is brutal. Definitely reducing my course-load over the summer.
brutal isnt the word i would use but i still recommend what i told you before.