MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Software Engineering to Game Design Rail24 Academics 6 06-15-2010 01:44 PM
Switching To First Year Computer Science JakeWill Academics 2 04-18-2009 08:14 AM
Difference between Computer and Software Engineering? Ownaginatios Academics 34 12-16-2008 08:34 PM
Engineering and computer science WavesSea First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-01-2008 01:21 PM

Switching into Software Engineering from Computer Science

Old 02-10-2011 at 09:48 PM   #16
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keish View Post
This was a while back, I had farmer for digital logic which apparently doesn't exist anymore. Farmer is pretty good, his jokes can be funny. Getting him to tell stories was always good times. I had Janicki for 2s03. Worst. Experience. Of. My. Life. Seriously... no idea how that guy became a professor. My friends and I had to learn the material ourselves because his notes were completely useless and illegible and his assignments were more about making your hands cramp by having to write out sorting algorithms long-hand on paper with every SINGLE step shown then actually learning anything. I had nightmares about that stuff because of him.

Standardising the function names isn't a bad idea.. but the problem comes when something doesn't work 100% and you need to give part marks for doing some stuff right. And that doesn't mark someone on how well organized or well documented their code is which is almost more important for software engineering then if the code actually works.
So this has been going on for years now huh? LOL.. I don't know why Mac is torturing se/cs kids through this guy?
Old 02-10-2011 at 10:27 PM   #17
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

SE 2S03 last semester was c++, The prof Dr Qiao expected everyone to know c++. He taught us the basics and then expected us to take it more advanced on the assignments. ie. taught us pointers and then had to use triple pointers on an assignment. Some people had a tough time in that course...
Old 02-10-2011 at 11:21 PM   #18
keish

Liked: 9 Times

At least you weren't expected to take it more advanced on tests. We got raped on some of our 2S03 tests because Janicki liked to introduce new concepts on tests. I always wondered what our average was before he bell-curved the classes because ALL of us would walk out of his tests and wonder wtf just happened.

I seriously can't believe he's still teaching there now though?! We complained HUGE 3 (edit... I think it was 4) years ago about him and filled out ridiculously bad 'prof evaluations' or whatever those were at the end of the year. Maybe they just keep him around to see if kids can handle the stress of 'crunch time' lol
Old 02-11-2011 at 01:58 AM   #19
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
At least you weren't expected to take it more advanced on tests. We got raped on some of our 2S03 tests because Janicki liked to introduce new concepts on tests. I always wondered what our average was before he bell-curved the classes because ALL of us would walk out of his tests and wonder wtf just happened.

I seriously can't believe he's still teaching there now though?! We complained HUGE 3 (edit... I think it was 4) years ago about him and filled out ridiculously bad 'prof evaluations' or whatever those were at the end of the year. Maybe they just keep him around to see if kids can handle the stress of 'crunch time' lol
I guess that's the reason why he teaches Se 2C03 now instead of 2S03. . . LOL
And from what I have heard, he still bell curves like crazy..
Old 02-11-2011 at 09:10 AM   #20
revolution27

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Like I said, you really don't do a lot of coding in software engineering until your 3rd and 4th years when you start doing projects for your classes. I guess you do some in first year... but that's really really really basic coding. I would choose your program based on what you want to do when you finish because they're both geared towards very different targets. Do you want to write code for a motion simulator or a factory robot? Software engineering. Do you want to write software for computers? Computer science.
I guess I'm not really sure which direction I want to go in yet so I'll try to pick one which leaves the most options open for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Ultimately, it's left up to you to learn programming languages. It's not what you want to hear, I know, but it's there all the same. I remember in compsci 2SC3, a few people asked the prof why we were learning OCaml, since it's not used in the industry. His response was that it's not his job to teach you languages that prepare you for your first job; it's his job to instill in you the principles that are fundamental to software development.
If thats the case then he's totally right. I much rather learn the fundamental principles than learn something thats going to be obsolete in a few years.