MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug problem. amyshi General Discussion 41 10-12-2010 09:10 PM
Problem! noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2009 12:21 PM
Elm Problem jaucep General Discussion 68 09-13-2009 12:36 AM
ELM problem maverick1990 General Discussion 10 09-09-2009 03:07 PM
is this a problem? sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-12-2008 11:28 AM

Symantec Problem

Old 07-18-2010 at 10:48 PM   #1
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Symantec Problem
It says that Proactive Threat Protection is off because protection definitions are too old. Then it says to click to fix it and I did. It showed the live update box and then beside Definitions it says, "Waiting for updates."

It never does that though...gah how do I fix this?

My laptop is new though. Got it last Tuesday. And the antivirus software is from my mom's workplace - she works in an university. so would the conflict be from that...somehow? @[email protected];

i updated stuff yesterday fine...and today...this happened.

thanksssss
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:52 PM   #2
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Have you seen this solution: http://service1.symantec.com /SUPPO...07091713544248?

Also I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials rather than Norton. Just a suggestion.
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:53 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
Have you seen this solution: http://service1.symantec.com /SUPPO...07091713544248?

Also I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials rather than Norton. Just a suggestion.
I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old 07-18-2010 at 10:57 PM   #4
Desda
Elite Member

o0o0o0o0o0o thanks a bunch guys

Erm is Microsoft Security Essentials an antivirus program for free? :/ So you're saying I should remove Norton and just DL/use that?

And is it okey to have two antivirus programs on your computer and running at the same time? Like Norton and Malwarebytes? Or does that mess with your computer...
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:01 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post
o0o0o0o0o0o thanks a bunch guys

Erm is Microsoft Security Essentials an antivirus program for free? :/ So you're saying I should remove Norton and just DL/use that?

And is it okey to have two antivirus programs on your computer and running at the same time? Like Norton and Malwarebytes? Or does that mess with your computer...
You should avoid having two anti-virus programs running at the same time. They interfere with each other.

It's free, you just need a valid windows operating system.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:04 PM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Alright, taking your word for it

So first thing is to remove Norton, right? Erm, just go in the Control Panel and stuff? Yes? *panic*
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:04 PM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Ya having two anti-virus programs running simultaneously is not going to end well. One time I actually had two running (forgot I already had one) and when I did a scan one said the other was a virus/malicious sfwr lol.

Anyways here's a link to MSE: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Desda says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:07 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Alright, taking your word for it

So first thing is to remove Norton, right? Erm, just go in the Control Panel and stuff? Yes? *panic*
Yes, should be in the control panel somewhere. Should say "Uninstall Programs" or "Add/Remove Programs" or something of the sort.

I totally forgot that you can just go to the folder of the program, there should be an uninstall file there.

Desda says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:12 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Ditch it, get MSE or ESET

Desda says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:23 PM   #10
Desda
Elite Member

So...does MSE conflict with Windows Defender? Is Windows Defender an antivirus software? o_O; It came with the computer...ermmm yeahhh so what is it?

Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:25 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Disable Windows Defender, its terrible.

Once you do that get MSE and if you dont like it get the Nod32 trial

Desda says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:30 PM   #12
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

If you're willing to spend, get NOD32.

If not, Microsoft Security Essentials or AVira will do. Also have MalwareBytes installed on a thumb drive.
You'll thank me later.

Norton AntiVirus needs an un-installer from Symantec. It may screw up
your firewall if you just use Windows uninstaller.

It's a PITA getting Norton out of your system.

Desda says thanks to VastHorizon for this post.
Old 07-18-2010 at 11:59 PM   #13
Desda
Elite Member

Excuse my ignorance again...but what's a thumb drive? I used to have only Malwarebytes and uhh I liked it. So...what do I do about it...

What do you mean by "needing an un-installer from Symantec?" How do I know if Norton is completely out of my system? I had Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, by the way. I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled it...and along with that, its LiveUpdate thing went away too. So erm, I just checked my Windows Firewall and it says its doing fine.

I heard that AVira was a firewall? Not an antivirus software...?

Thanksssssssssss
Old 07-19-2010 at 12:20 AM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance again...but what's a thumb drive? I used to have only Malwarebytes and uhh I liked it. So...what do I do about it...

What do you mean by "needing an un-installer from Symantec?" How do I know if Norton is completely out of my system? I had Symantec Endpoint Protection installed, by the way. I went into the Control Panel and uninstalled it...and along with that, its LiveUpdate thing went away too. So erm, I just checked my Windows Firewall and it says its doing fine.

I heard that AVira was a firewall? Not an antivirus software...?

Thanksssssssssss
1. Thumb Drive = USB Drive. You have to search for a portable version of the program.

2. It just means you have to use the uninstaller that Norton provides. It should be in the folder that contains the anti-virus programs.

3. Avira is an antivirus. I've used it before, I like Avast better though. But I don't think anything beats MSE. I don't even realize it's running or scanning.
Old 07-19-2010 at 12:39 AM   #15
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

Symantec Endpoint Protection is a completely different antivirus than the normal norton antivirus crap. Plus if I recall it doesn't expire. I have used Endpoint Version 12 and no problems so far.