MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week 2009 Photos Days 6-8 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-20-2009 06:32 PM
Test Days? blackdragon Academics 16 08-06-2009 11:31 AM
12 Days of Quarters... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-18-2009 10:20 PM
The McMaster World Congress is taking place this week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-15-2008 11:54 AM
Snow Days smiley12 General Discussion 2 12-17-2007 12:32 AM

who is taking 3 days off per week ??

Old 08-25-2010 at 01:50 PM   #16
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I believe there is a strong correlation between having entire week days off and difficulty in finding a job after school is done.

gmoney likes this.
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:05 PM   #17
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I believe there is a strong correlation between having entire week days off and difficulty in finding a job after school is done.

Really? Interesting theory. I was developing a similar one of my own where in there is a strong correlation between McMaster's science students and egos the size of an eighteen-wheeler.

Guess what sweetheart, just because you like math or science or computers and I like history or language or the arts doesn't make either of us better than the other one.

There are favourable AND available jobs in BOTH fields. I'm pretty sure most lawyers don't come from engineering backgrounds and no one typically sees them struggling for a position or cash. Not that how much a person makes defines their job satisfaction anyway.

I know the saying goes "Don't feed the troll" but I'm really sick of listening to students from one disipline ripping on students of another. Just because we all do different work or attend labs vs. lectures or write papers vs. doing experiments or spend more hours in class vs. out of class reading or studying DOES not make one better than the other, just different. The world will always need both teachers AND doctors, scientists AND historians, musicians AND engineers so why not quit griping and just appreciate that while you are learning how to work with computers, someone is learning how to teach your kid one day.

Gah!

AelyaS, lorend all say thanks to eleduc for this post.

J-Met, Kathy2, kimzy, lorend like this.
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:30 PM   #18
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

^Amen to that.

This is how conversations usually go when I tell people I'm going to McMaster

Person: so, where are you going to school?

Me: McMaster

Person: [extremely excited, sometimes may exhibit flushed cheeks or dilated pupils] REALLY? OMG, THAT'S SO COOL. YOU'RE GOING TO LIFE SCIENCES/HEALTH SCIENCES/ENGINEERING/NURSING, RIGHT?

Me: I'm going for English.

Person: [visibly deflates] Oh. English? Really? Why?
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:34 PM   #19
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

In term 2, I have Tuesdays off also, I just have a tutorial on thursdays for term 2 as well so it might be 3 days of school for me for a few weeks
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:35 PM   #20
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

well look does my timetable look good ??????
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:38 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
^Amen to that.

This is how conversations usually go when I tell people I'm going to McMaster

Person: so, where are you going to school?

Me: McMaster

Person: [extremely excited, sometimes may exhibit flushed cheeks or dilated pupils] REALLY? OMG, THAT'S SO COOL. YOU'RE GOING TO LIFE SCIENCES/HEALTH SCIENCES/ENGINEERING/NURSING, RIGHT?

Me: I'm going for English.

Person: [visibly deflates] Oh. English? Really? Why?
People are just not informed about education. In a world where technology advances so quickly and where people want to live as long as possible, that's all they know about. It's really sad that those are often the only things that are valued when other subjects are equally as important like culture and languages (especially since everyone is flying everywhere).
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:39 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post

well look does my timetable look good ??????
You might want to consider moving Psych somewhere else. Maybe in the Monday 12:30 slot if that exists.
Old 08-25-2010 at 05:55 PM   #23
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

everything is full! but i was able to change it to We 16:30 - 17:20

i think this is a little better
Old 08-25-2010 at 06:01 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
everything is full! but i was able to change it to We 16:30 - 17:20

i think this is a little better
Yeah, that works too.
Old 08-25-2010 at 06:32 PM   #25
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
what is this non sense 3 days off per week? srsly?
god dame it
I was happy enough that I only had 2 lecture on friday but 3 days off?
I could fit 3 week days off into my schedule. I originally had that, but then switched a class to Tues/Thurs morning to make the long days a little less brutal.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:42 PM   #26
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Lucky first years. Not one of my classes has more than one core. My timetable is set in stone.
Old 08-25-2010 at 07:59 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
You SoSci people
I'm in Social Science and I was never able to take any week days off for 4 years. :( I'm coming back for another degree and I still won't be able to. I don't know how people do it!
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:31 PM   #28
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleduc View Post
Really? Interesting theory. I was developing a similar one of my own where in there is a strong correlation between McMaster's science students and egos the size of an eighteen-wheeler.

Guess what sweetheart, just because you like math or science or computers and I like history or language or the arts doesn't make either of us better than the other one.

There are favourable AND available jobs in BOTH fields. I'm pretty sure most lawyers don't come from engineering backgrounds and no one typically sees them struggling for a position or cash. Not that how much a person makes defines their job satisfaction anyway.

I know the saying goes "Don't feed the troll" but I'm really sick of listening to students from one disipline ripping on students of another. Just because we all do different work or attend labs vs. lectures or write papers vs. doing experiments or spend more hours in class vs. out of class reading or studying DOES not make one better than the other, just different. The world will always need both teachers AND doctors, scientists AND historians, musicians AND engineers so why not quit griping and just appreciate that while you are learning how to work with computers, someone is learning how to teach your kid one day.

Gah!
Is it just me or did he (i.e., the person you're replying to) not mention anything about being in science versus being in soc sci / humanities?

Your arguments are valid, but they seem to be directed to a post that doesn't warrant it.

But it's lolsy that this seems to show you recognize and admit that only humanities / soc sci programs allow for days off compared to science programs.
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:44 PM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Is it just me or did he (i.e., the person you're replying to) not mention anything about being in science versus being in soc sci / humanities?

Your arguments are valid, but they seem to be directed to a post that doesn't warrant it.

But it's lolsy that this seems to show you recognize and admit that only humanities / soc sci programs allow for days off compared to science programs.
I know a couple science students that have days off :\
Old 08-25-2010 at 08:51 PM   #30
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Yeah, that's my point lol, Ownaginatios didn't mention anything about science versus soc sci and humanities, yet the post replying to it assumed that's what it was about.