Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow teksavvy eric_3490 General Discussion 10 01-14-2011 09:58 AM
Alternative Welcome Week lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-13-2010 08:55 AM
TekSavvy Cable! blackdragon Computers & Tech 26 06-25-2010 03:26 PM
TekSavvy elvindsouza Computers & Tech 36 02-24-2010 07:24 AM
Alternative Video Solution Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-21-2006 09:49 PM

Teksavvy alternative?

Members have rated post #350482 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:18 AM   #1
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Teksavvy alternative?
I'm currently with Rogers cable internet, and my contract is coming to an end. I originally planned on switching over to Teksavvy, as they offer 300 GB of data per month.

However, now that it sounds like Teksavvy is going to rat out its customers for downloading illegal content, is there another ISP that offers similar monthly cap space and prices?
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:26 AM   #2
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

http://www.start.ca

Same amount of data @ 16 Mbps.
I currently have that plan and pay $62.09 per month including taxes and w.e other fees.

I'm paying for 16 Mbps but for some reason I have 32 Mbps. Pretty decent provider, very few issues so far.

Allan says thanks to guerilla for this post.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:35 AM   #3
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I'm currently with Rogers cable internet, and my contract is coming to an end. I originally planned on switching over to Teksavvy, as they offer 300 GB of data per month.

However, now that it sounds like Teksavvy is going to rat out its customers for downloading illegal content, is there another ISP that offers similar monthly cap space and prices?
I'm pretty sure they don't "rat" out their customers. Unless something really drastic has changed within the last 8 months or so. They use Bell's lines, was it to provide service? So, Bell complains, and then they take it out on the customers. You can pay an additional fee/mo to TekSavvy to add filtering to your line so you can be worry free as far as the ISP is concerned.
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:40 AM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't "rat" out their customers. Unless something really drastic has changed within the last 8 months or so. They use Bell's lines, was it to provide service? So, Bell complains, and then they take it out on the customers. You can pay an additional fee/mo to TekSavvy to add filtering to your line so you can be worry free as far as the ISP is concerned.
Yes, something drastic has happened. They're going to be served with a court order soon from a Film company. You can read about it on their blog: http://blogs.teksavvy.com/2012/12/10...ement-lawsuit/
Old 12-16-2012 at 01:41 AM   #5
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

ugh all that fuss over The Hurt Locker
Old 12-16-2012 at 03:21 AM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Shouldn't matter. Pirating is legal for personal entertainment in Canada even though all the ISP's look down on it as an excuse to save more Bandwidth

VitaSoy says thanks to Leeoku for this post.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:05 AM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
However, now that it sounds like Teksavvy is going to rat out its customers for downloading illegal content
{Face palm}

How do you read this: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/why-teksa...er-information

and conclude "ratting out" ?

Especially with "Notice of Motion - received December 7th, 2012
The Notice of Motion serves as TekSavvy’s notice that some of our customers’ names and contact information are being requested by way of a motion to the Federal Court of Canada so that Voltage can pursue its claims against them. The Notice of Motion was served on us on December 7th."

TekSavvy is not ratting out its customers. If the Canadian Justice system forces a Canadian ISP to hand over customer information to a non-Canadian source, you have only you elected federal government to blame... Not TekSavvy.

Afzal, starfish like this.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:13 AM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
{Face palm}

The Notice of Motion serves as TekSavvy’s notice that some of our customers’ names and contact information are being requested by way of a motion to the Federal Court of Canada so that Voltage can pursue its claims against them. The Notice of Motion was served on us on December 7th."

TekSavvy is not ratting out its customers. If the Canadian Justice system forces a Canadian ISP to hand over customer information to a non-Canadian source, you have only you elected federal government to blame... Not TekSavvy.
I was thinking the same thing.
@OP,

Take some time to read that appropriately..and then come back here.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:32 AM   #9
LymeDisease

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:

Hello, please excuse my poor English and grammar.

I'm currently getting internet from Electronicbox.net.
http://www.electronicbox.net /en/on...ernet/dsl.html

They're a small company that provides internet/telephone for Quebec and Ontario and most of the packages you buy from them do not involve a contract.
Their support center for Ontario is in Toronto, so you know you won't get an overseas agent.
I've been using it since first semester and haven't had any problems.

If you're into download a lot of "files that are around 600mb to 1.2gb" then you'll like them.
For most of their deals, they let you have unlimited downloading from 2AM to 11AM, which means that you can leave your torrent on while you sleep and download as much as you want.

I like to download a lot, but I'm always afraid of going over the limit. So what I do is I do most of my downloading during the "free period" and then I use the internet for school during the day (which is <1gb a day).

Problems:
Involves a moderately pricey investment
- have to rent/buy a modem (only have to do this if you don't own one, which is true if you're with Rogers since they provide you with one)
- if said modem does not have wireless capabilities, you have to buy a wireless networking device (unless everyone uses ethernet cables)
- if you use DSL, like me, you have to buy those filters to put on your phone line ($5 a piece from the company, which they ship to you, although you can buy them from ebay for $1 a piece)

Pros:
- Great customer support.
- Large downloading limit for less price than Bell or Rogers (I used DSL, 250gb, 6mbps for $33.95/month)

Hope this helps and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:36 AM   #10
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
{Face palm}

Yes, I know that Teksavvy just wants to comply with the law, however it doesn't even sound like they would be putting up a fight, which won't go over well with their customers. Anyways, my main question is finding an alternative ISP that will be 'safer' to use.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:38 AM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Yes, I know that Teksavvy just wants to comply with the law, however it doesn't even sound like they would be putting up a fight, which won't go over well with their customers. Anyways, my main question is finding an alternative ISP that will be 'safer' to use.
None of them are safer to use in terms of that really. Of course TekSavvy wants to comply with the law because they don't want to be shut down?
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:45 AM   #12
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Allan.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 12-16-2012 at 09:59 AM   #13
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

ZOMG face palm just went to head smash.

They're not telling ANYONE about illegal activities.

The company went to the Canadian court and said, "I have this evidence that these IP's were downloading copyright content" (Statement of Claim - filed November 14th, 2012
The Statement of Claim was filed November 14th, this is a general submission to the court outlining the claims against as yet unknown defendants. TekSavvy has not been formally served with this document aswe are not a defendant in the case. We obtained a copy from the Court as it is relevant to our customers
)

Court said to TekSavvy, "If we decide to allow this inquiry into your cutomer's activities, you will have to abide by the law." TekSavvy said, "OKAY" (Notice of Motion - received December 7th, 2012
The Notice of Motion serves as TekSavvy’s notice that some of our customers’ names and contact information are being requested by way of a motion to the Federal Court of Canada so that Voltage can pursue its claims against them. The Notice of Motion was served on us on December 7th.
)

TekSavvy (let's use the police on the door scenario) ran downstairs to its housemate (us, as customers) and said, "YO! DUDE! POLICE CAME BY, THEY MIGHT COME BY AGAIN, ON THIS DAY, THIS TIME!"... Hence the letter they sent to all their customers warning them about this motion.

So where in there did they rat anyone out?

As herBs said, and as I said, read that link. Get informed. Stop being uninformed when you assume.
Old 12-16-2012 at 10:50 AM   #14
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
And further to my last post...yes, it is ratting out.

Think of this example. If you knew that your best friend was involved in illegal activities, and one day the police come knocking on your door to question you about it, and you tell the police about your friend's illegal activities...that counts as ratting out. Even though you've done nothing wrong legally, and are simply complying with the law...in your friend's point of view, you have ratted them out. Maybe you should take some time to learn what ratting out means.
You're completely misinformed Allan. Get someone else to read it and provide their opinion for you..
Old 12-16-2012 at 12:04 PM   #15
Allan
Elite Member

Quote:
ZOMG face palm just went to head smash.

They're not telling ANYONE about illegal activities.

The company went to the Canadian court and said, "I have this evidence that these IP's were downloading copyright content" (Statement of Claim - filed November 14th, 2012
The Statement of Claim was filed November 14th, this is a general submission to the court outlining the claims against as yet unknown defendants. TekSavvy has not been formally served with this document aswe are not a defendant in the case. We obtained a copy from the Court as it is relevant to our customers
)

Court said to TekSavvy, "If we decide to allow this inquiry into your cutomer's activities, you will have to abide by the law." TekSavvy said, "OKAY" (Notice of Motion - received December 7th, 2012
The Notice of Motion serves as TekSavvy’s notice that some of our customers’ names and contact information are being requested by way of a motion to the Federal Court of Canada so that Voltage can pursue its claims against them. The Notice of Motion was served on us on December 7th.
)

TekSavvy (let's use the police on the door scenario) ran downstairs to its housemate (us, as customers) and said, "YO! DUDE! POLICE CAME BY, THEY MIGHT COME BY AGAIN, ON THIS DAY, THIS TIME!"... Hence the letter they sent to all their customers warning them about this motion.

So where in there did they rat anyone out?

As herBs said, and as I said, read that link. Get informed. Stop being uninformed when you assume.
OMG...Face Palm and Head Smash for myself also.

Read my original post. When did I ever say TekSavvy ratted anyone out? I said, "it sounds like Teksavvy is going to rat out its customers". That is in FUTURE TENSE. I haven't accused them of doing anything wrong or telling anyone about illegal activities. At this point, it sounds like they will simply be giving out personal information, however this won't go well with their customers.

mike_302, you obviously have too much time on your hands. Stop over-analyzing the smallest of statements, and stop trying make it sound like I said things that I never did. If you're not going to be helpful in answering my actual question...then don't post anything at all.