MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet on res Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-04-2010 04:53 PM
ELM - Slow and lags lux Academics 90 09-15-2009 07:50 AM
Slow Internet? J-Met General Discussion 6 01-24-2009 10:55 AM
"Meatiest" Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili temara.brown Recipes 1 01-05-2009 09:16 PM
Slow LAN Speeds for DC++ BHChew First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-08-2008 11:43 PM

Terribly slow internet

Old 03-15-2010 at 10:39 PM   #31
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
TekSavvy is 41 dollars a month (exactly) on a dry-loop. There is a 200 GB cap and 5 Mb/s down, 800 Kb/s up.

So pretty much almost identical to your service :p. Most likely 'Velcom' also uses the Bell network.
Exactly. and that extra $2 that I have is because of the static ip. At least I win on that, TekSaavy charges $4 for a static ip.

On another note, did anyone hear word on the street that Bell is slowly getting closer to being able to force a cap on these guys?
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:44 PM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I've heard the threat of a 60 GB cap on all the whole sellers a few times now. I *think* Bell is actually losing this one since the government has finally started realizing that they're monopolizing almost all the telecommunications.

Bell freaked out when the government told them to **** off when they tried to stop Wind Mobile from happening. :p
Old 03-15-2010 at 10:47 PM   #33
kldv
Just Some Guy

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I've heard the threat of a 60 GB cap on all the whole sellers a few times now. I *think* Bell is actually losing this one since the government has finally started realizing that they're monopolizing almost all the telecommunications.

Bell freaked out when the government told them to **** off when they tried to stop Wind Mobile from happening. :p
Good to know, I generally only keep up on local tech news once every month or two... so good to hear that's the current state.
Old 03-16-2010 at 01:16 AM   #34
Infester

Liked: 2 Times

I just want to point out that our internet at Mcmaster is pretty good. My friend was downloading some Nvidea software at 6 mb/s which is pretty damn good. the issue is that his direct line in one of the labs is no wehere comprable to what you get for thoroughput. I think the best thing to do when that happens is to reconnect to macconect so your reassigned to a different signal. It ups your connection speed by at least 2x if not more.
Old 03-17-2010
chandirika
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-27-2010 at 10:39 PM   #35
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times

the worse place ive found wireless is surpringly down the hall from the uts office in bsb...weird :S
Old 03-28-2010 at 09:25 AM   #36
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

streaming isn't too stressful on an internet connection it is torrenting that tends to kill the internet. And at the libraries I always see people torrenting.
Old 03-28-2010 at 03:34 PM   #37
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

The 2 best places ive found to use the internet is in ETB and the building beside Thode Library (The chemistry one) dont know the name. I managed to get 1mb/sec at etb and

i ran a speed test at the building beside thode and got 14Mb/s down and 13Mb/s up. Which is amazingly good =P.
Hopefully none of you start coming there .
Old 03-28-2010 at 04:12 PM   #38
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

14 Mb/s down...ehh....