MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
textbooks sana.banana Academics 8 12-19-2010 08:16 PM
textbooks jaason87 Academics 5 04-19-2010 01:16 AM
Textbooks to buy/not to buy bilalbagha First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 98 09-11-2009 04:31 PM
when to buy textbooks? cddbc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-20-2009 11:04 PM

Textbooks

Old 07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM   #1
unspoken

Liked: 0 Times

Textbooks
hello. when should first yrs start buying books? and how do we know what books to buy?
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:14 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

You can ask upper years or search older course outlines. Chances are wait for the first day of each class and buy them within the first week. Remember, buying online like MI/FB/kajiji saves you about half than original!
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:21 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

For textbooks, check out the "Textbook & Course Materials Search":
http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/c...urs ematerial
Looks like it's not yet updated for the new school year.

It's totally up to you when you want to buy the books, some people wait until the prof tells them what textbook to use..they don't want to rush because they are scared they will buy old editions and waste their money..but from my experience old books (in my opinion and my case) are the same as new books (few minor changes here and there, but not a big deal). My friend was using a chem book from another university in my chem class and still managed to kill that class
My physics prof in first year told us that any edition you have is good (we were using the 8th edition and he said if you are using the 5th edition you will be fine !)

If you are in science, I can't comment on anything, I am just saying from my experience when I was in first year eng..
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:24 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Typically u have to wait for the university book store called "Titles" to release the book list for the Fall - Winter semester for undergrads, which usually comes out close to Sept.
http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/ >> this is the site

all u have to do is make the selections and allow it tell u wat books u need based on ur courses.

Otherwise if your and eager beaver, as Ken said u can google old course outlines and get the book cheap off other online stores and sites like Kijiji. Abe books click here seems to be pretty good too, i usually get alot my from here. In fact all my second year books were from Abe

any way

welcome to mac

**sorry jimmy, ur post wasnt there wen i was answering

MI should really allow for live update**

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-03-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: adding more info and corrections
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:27 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

I wouldn't buy them until like 1-3 weeks after school starts, depending on the class and how much the book is needed. And buy your books off of other people. New books at titles are a ripoff, especially in first year. I only touched the textbooks for my bio classes but that is because I didn't go to class. Most kids in science regret buying most of their books, but that could be different for you.
Old 07-03-2012 at 09:29 PM   #6
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

"live update" would be pretty cool

Last edited by jim1 : 07-05-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2012 at 11:59 AM   #7
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

You can usually find used books on MI, and you can even ask the person who is selling it if they took the same course as you with the same prof. And they can tell you how much you might need the book.

But I wouldn't buy them in advance, one time for a Comp Sci course I still hadnt bought the book and within the first class the prof said "oh yea and the book? you can buy it if you want, but you dont have to, I wrote it, but all the info is on the slides, I wont reference the book at all"
And thus I saved money.

But I also wouldnt wait 3 weeks to buy them, because personally by that point, I'll have no motivation to back track and read what I hadn't read at the beginning.
Old 07-05-2012 at 12:45 PM   #8
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

According to titles, the fall textbook listing will be posted on August 9th (http://www.bookstore.mcmaste r.ca/c...urs ematerial ). But as others have mentioned, it is wise for you to wait till at least the first day of classes to determine whether or not the textbook is required.

jon.john23 says thanks to Purple2309 for this post.
Old 07-05-2012 at 01:04 PM   #9
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

But sometimes it depends on the subject. I mean, I am usually very inclined to buy my Math textbooks early so I can get them cheaper, but thats because I never expect a math book to not be used, its my major and profs love their practice problems.

Its usually my electives I wait until the first day, and usually bargain my way out of buying them - like if I think the prof makes good slides I wont buy it, or if I have a friend to split it with. Because I know I will never want to look at that elective's textbook again, so I never really want to buy it in the first place.
Old 07-05-2012 at 03:06 PM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
You can usually find used books on MI, and you can even ask the person who is selling it if they took the same course as you with the same prof. And they can tell you how much you might need the book.

But I wouldn't buy them in advance, one time for a Comp Sci course I still hadnt bought the book and within the first class the prof said "oh yea and the book? you can buy it if you want, but you dont have to, I wrote it, but all the info is on the slides, I wont reference the book at all"
And thus I saved money.

But I also wouldnt wait 3 weeks to buy them, because personally by that point, I'll have no motivation to back track and read what I hadn't read at the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
But sometimes it depends on the subject. I mean, I am usually very inclined to buy my Math textbooks early so I can get them cheaper, but thats because I never expect a math book to not be used, its my major and profs love their practice problems.

Its usually my electives I wait until the first day, and usually bargain my way out of buying them - like if I think the prof makes good slides I wont buy it, or if I have a friend to split it with. Because I know I will never want to look at that elective's textbook again, so I never really want to buy it in the first place.
Lmfao like a 2 hour break in telling your life story of text books haha thanks for the good read!