MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks exuberant888 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2010 08:00 PM
Textbooks Qadd Academics 2 08-02-2010 12:19 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Textbooks to buy/not to buy

Old 08-17-2009 at 06:45 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I had a question about IClickers, you only get one, correct? Even if you need it for more than one course? Or is it just set up for a specific course :S.
That is correct, you only need one. It's registered under your MacID so whenever you use it, your answer will be linked to your MacID.

daisy says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-17-2009 at 06:59 PM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Phew! Thanks! Now I don't have to buy 3 different ones
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:02 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Phew! Thanks! Now I don't have to buy 3 different ones
Yep, you can buy a used one off students as well. Just make sure they still have the code in the back of the iClicker. Then you can re-register it under your MacID.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:11 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Attend some lectures before you buy any textbooks. You'll know pretty quickly which classes you'll need the book for. If the prof immediately starts quoting the book and taking diagrams from it, and asking you to read, and then asking questions from the book, etc., then it's obvious you need the text.

Other courses hardly use the text, and will allow you to download all the notes online, etc.

You really should attend the courses yourself first for a lecture or two before you decide what you want/need to buy or not.
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:50 PM   #20
yas1

Liked: 0 Times

I need econ 1bb3, if i buy it used would it come with aplia subscription as well or do I have to buy it new?
Also, for chem, bio, math texts had their required editions at titles... should i buy them now or wait for first week of classes? I wana buy them used n ppl are saying that used texts run out by first week? ... I need advice plzzz!
Old 08-17-2009 at 07:53 PM   #21
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yas1 View Post
I need econ 1bb3, if i buy it used would it come with aplia subscription as well or do I have to buy it new?
Also, for chem, bio, math texts had their required editions at titles... should i buy them now or wait for first week of classes? I wana buy them used n ppl are saying that used texts run out by first week? ... I need advice plzzz!
Don't buy the econ textbook. Just buy the aplia subscription online and it'll give you access to the textbook online. Much cheaper then buying the actual book (they explain how to buy aplia in class).
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:20 PM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
I had a question about IClickers, you only get one, correct? Even if you need it for more than one course? Or is it just set up for a specific course :S.
Just to add, make sure you write the serial number down somewhere as soon as you get it. You need it to register the i>Clicker; so it will still be needed if you ever plan to sell it.

Whoever designed the material for the serial number sticker was really stupid and made it out of a material that rubs off very easily (unlike the rest of the stickers on the thing... go figure ).

daisy, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:23 PM   #23
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Just to add, make sure you write the serial number down somewhere as soon as you get it. You need it to register the i>Clicker; so it will still be needed if you ever plan to sell it.

Whoever designed the material for the serial number sticker was really stupid and made it out of a material that rubs off very easily (unlike the rest of the stickers on the thing... go figure ).
Lol, I wondered the same thing. Why does only this sticker rub off while the entire other stickers don't. You'd think they would use the same material.

But yeah, you can still get the serial number even after it rubs off, it just takes a little work.
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:30 PM   #24
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

I'm looking at the first year book required for calc 1a03 and it says:

"CALCULUS ET/ 2 PIN CODES / 2 SOLUTIONS MANUALS"

All the used books I've found do not included the pin codes.. what are they for? Should I still get the books without them? (everything else is the same like the edition etc).
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:35 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post
I'm looking at the first year book required for calc 1a03 and it says:

"CALCULUS ET/ 2 PIN CODES / 2 SOLUTIONS MANUALS"

All the used books I've found do not included the pin codes.. what are they for? Should I still get the books without them? (everything else is the same like the edition etc).
The pin codes are for webassign. If they are still using them you'll have to buy them off webassign itself. It's 25$ for 1 pin code. If you are taking Math 1AA3 and Math 1A03 you'll need 2 pin codes (Assuming that both courses still use webassign, which they probably do).

So basically, if you can find a used book 50$ cheaper or more than a new book with the pin codes, it would be worth buying the used book.

And yes, you will need to use webassign. It's marked assignments (which are basically just questions).

paperplanes says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-17-2009 at 08:38 PM   #26
kimrose

Liked: 0 Times

I found a lot of the online packs that come with the textbook to be useless. I never bought the study guides for bio or chem and I did just fine without them.
Old 08-18-2009 at 10:31 AM   #27
iki_31
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Textbooks for sale
I have textbooks for sale!!!

Chem 1A03

PETRUCCI - CHEMISTRY (TEXT/SSM/MEDIAPAK)(3 PART PACKAGE)

PETRUCCI - STUDENT STUDY GUIDE TO ACCOMPANY GENERAL CHEMISTRY
PETRUCCI - STUDENT MEDIA PAK FOR GENERAL CHEMISTRY

Biology 1M03

BOYD/SILK - HOW HUMANS EVOLVED (WITH CD-ROM) - FULLY PACKAGED

FREEMAN - STUDY GUIDE TO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
FREEMAN - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL #2)(TEXTBOOK ONLY)
FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)
FREEMAN/PECHENIK - BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE (VOL # 1 AND 2)(WITH SHORT GUIDE TO WRITING)

Physics 1B03

CCW - PHYSICS 1B03 LAB MANUAL
KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS W/MOD PHYSICS : A STRATEGIC APPROACH

Psychology 1X03

GRAY P - PSYCHOLOGY

Math 1LS3
ADLER - MODELING THE DYNAMICS OF LIFE

ADLER - STUDENT SOL MANUAL TO ACC MODELING THE DYNAMICS OF LIFE
Old 08-18-2009 at 05:10 PM   #28
Harrisium

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I'm wondering if its important to get all the components of the "pakages" named on the required list. For example, the calculus textbook comes in a 5 part package from Titles (I'm not really sure what's in that though). I'm guessing things like the solutions manuals are pretty important, but are the study guides?

I'm buying used, and some of the sellers aren't advertising all of the items listed. Are all of those components necessary, or am i better off just buying the texts alone?
Old 08-18-2009 at 05:16 PM   #29
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrisium View Post
I'm wondering if its important to get all the components of the "pakages" named on the required list. For example, the calculus textbook comes in a 5 part package from Titles (I'm not really sure what's in that though). I'm guessing things like the solutions manuals are pretty important, but are the study guides?

I'm buying used, and some of the sellers aren't advertising all of the items listed. Are all of those components necessary, or am i better off just buying the texts alone?
The 5 part package is the textbook, 2 solution manuals, a calc lab book, and Maple 11 software.

None of the required stuff include study guides.

Harrisium likes this.
Old 08-18-2009 at 06:01 PM   #30
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

does anyone recommend buying the text for second year ecology, or second year plant biology?