MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vet Bills lawleypop General Discussion 20 01-02-2010 02:34 AM
Average Utility bills **jewel 03** General Discussion 22 12-04-2009 06:43 PM
Why are books so expensive?!?!?! Arnold General Discussion 15 09-22-2008 10:48 PM
Are books more expensive this year, or is it just me? HeatherH Academics 27 08-18-2008 02:55 PM

Are these bills expensive?

Old 04-13-2010 at 02:54 PM   #46

Liked: 31 Times

Cogeco is related to Bell? I have never heard this. The only direct dealings I have come across between them is a joint venture in Quebec on purchasing a media company. I'm not entirely sure that they are related at all other than both being utility companies and being in the same industry. (we routinely deal with cogeco and bell network construction at work and i've never heard of any such relationship). Not saying you are for sure wrong, but it would definately be news to me and i'd be interested to hear how this relationship works.
Old 04-13-2010 at 06:18 PM   #47
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

Our average for 2008-2009 in a 5 person house was:

Cable & Internet: 38.85 (Cable was left hooked up, complain about internet enough you'll get free months..)
Natural Gas: 106.96
Hot Water Tank: 16.89
Hydro: 97.65
Misc: 3.20 (Light bulbs, soap, miscellaneous house hold things)

Total we spent over 8 months was $2108... over 5 people and 8 months was about $53pp/month
Old 04-13-2010 at 06:27 PM   #48
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Our average for 2008-2009 in a 5 person house was:

Cable & Internet: 38.85 (Cable was left hooked up, complain about internet enough you'll get free months..)
Natural Gas: 106.96
Hot Water Tank: 16.89
Hydro: 97.65
Misc: 3.20 (Light bulbs, soap, miscellaneous house hold things)

Total we spent over 8 months was $2108... over 5 people and 8 months was about $53pp/month
Who were your providers, if you don't mind me asking? Like, what company did you pay for Internet, etc?
Old 04-13-2010 at 07:19 PM   #49
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Is it better to do a cable & internet deal?
Or are there cheap basic cable providers out there too? Can anyone share their experiences?
If I go with Teksavvy or Velcom for internet, I dont wanna offset that cheapness with an overly expensive cable deal. (Also do most cable companies want you to do a 12 month contract? Cause my roommates were thinking of hooking it up in September instead of may...)
Old 04-13-2010 at 08:28 PM   #50
DavidR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
Who were your providers, if you don't mind me asking? Like, what company did you pay for Internet, etc?
We had Cogeco. In 2007-2008 we paid double that the above numbers cause we paid for tv and internet. At the end of the year we cancelled and had another housemate sign up so we could take advantage of the new 12-month pricing. Fortunately they didn't disconnect the cable - they just killed the internet and when the guy came to do the "fresh install" (aka swap out a modem for an identical modem = waste of time) he looked up in the trees where the box was and said.. "hope that's okay". Luckily it didn't get audited while we were there and we had free cable.

Somehow they botched the install so I got free installation and a month free as well after complaining
Old 04-13-2010 at 08:32 PM   #51
DavidR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Is it better to do a cable & internet deal?
Or are there cheap basic cable providers out there too? Can anyone share their experiences?
If I go with Teksavvy or Velcom for internet, I dont wanna offset that cheapness with an overly expensive cable deal. (Also do most cable companies want you to do a 12 month contract? Cause my roommates were thinking of hooking it up in September instead of may...)
You usually need to stay for 12-months to get promotional deals ($10 off for the first 12 months) type thing, but other than that you can generally cancel any time. Make sure you give them enough notice, or better yet have them put a note on your account to close it on a certain date.

Melanieee says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 04-13-2010 at 11:20 PM   #52
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
We had Cogeco. In 2007-2008 we paid double that the above numbers cause we paid for tv and internet. At the end of the year we cancelled and had another housemate sign up so we could take advantage of the new 12-month pricing. Fortunately they didn't disconnect the cable - they just killed the internet and when the guy came to do the "fresh install" (aka swap out a modem for an identical modem = waste of time) he looked up in the trees where the box was and said.. "hope that's okay". Luckily it didn't get audited while we were there and we had free cable.

Somehow they botched the install so I got free installation and a month free as well after complaining
thread forwarded to the police