MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 07-06-2010 at 08:35 PM   #196
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Most first year professors are terrible. Don't go into a program based on whether you liked ___ 1A03, it's usually not an accurate reflection of the program.

Study smarter not harder. Trying to memorize small details when the course is focused on broader concepts is a waste of time and you won't remember them a week after the test. Instead focus on getting a solid foundation of the material and be able to figure out smaller details as you go. But, if you're in a course like Biochem 2EE3 where small details are key focus on lecture notes. Professors are narcissistic and like quizzing the material that they teach (and research in). Second year and on-ward it becomes less about the textbook and more about what the prof is saying.

Old 07-06-2010 at 09:03 PM   #197
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Most first year professors are terrible. Don't go into a program based on whether you liked ___ 1A03, it's usually not an accurate reflection of the program.
I disagree. I found many first-year profs to be quite good, with a few exceptions. I was all set on going into a bio program, but HATED first-year bio--although I still like biological applications and am really interested in how things can be applied in a medical way, I can't stand memorizing random sh*t that is irrelevant to what I'm interested in. I LOVED first-year chem, especially the chembio unit, which Dr Valliant sold really well. So, I went into chembio and I love it
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:16 PM   #198
mcmurdd1

Liked: 2 Times

The res manager's door is at the side of the building in brandon hall....
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:22 PM   #199
Moson Mo

Liked: 1 Time

yo.. have you been to the orientation? then, you will know..
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:05 PM   #200
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I disagree. I found many first-year profs to be quite good, with a few exceptions. I was all set on going into a bio program, but HATED first-year bio--although I still like biological applications and am really interested in how things can be applied in a medical way, I can't stand memorizing random sh*t that is irrelevant to what I'm interested in. I LOVED first-year chem, especially the chembio unit, which Dr Valliant sold really well. So, I went into chembio and I love it
All of our chem profs were awful in 2006. The only one that was decent was Stover in 1AA3, but I ended up skipping every single class. Then Chem 2OB3 ended up being one of my favourite classes.

First year bio was awful. Upper year courses were much better. Math was the only course that had decent profs but the material was so easy that it wasn't necessary to go to class.

Hopefully it's gotten better since then.

Old 07-06-2010 at 10:11 PM   #201
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
All of our chem profs were awful in 2006. The only one that was decent was Stover in 1AA3, but I ended up skipping every single class. Then Chem 2OB3 ended up being one of my favourite classes.

First year bio was awful. Upper year courses were much better. Math was the only course that had decent profs but the material was so easy that it wasn't necessary to go to class.

Hopefully it's gotten better since then.
Hm, it's definitely gotten better then. There are some really amazing 1st yr chem profs--the amazing ones definitely outnumber the 1-2 bad ones, and even those ones aren't THAT bad

I hated first year bio (both courses) AND 2nd year cell bio. Genetics is the only bio course I've taken at Mac that I've liked, and I'm pretty sure that was just because Dr Dej >>>>>>> other bio profs
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:14 PM   #202
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Hm, it's definitely gotten better then. There are some really amazing 1st yr chem profs--the amazing ones definitely outnumber the 1-2 bad ones, and even those ones aren't THAT bad

I hated first year bio (both courses) AND 2nd year cell bio. Genetics is the only bio course I've taken at Mac that I've liked, and I'm pretty sure that was just because Dr Dej >>>>>>> other bio profs
The first one was molecular and the second part was evolution based right? I couldn't get into that material either. I think Bio ended up being my worst first year marks. Cell stuff was boring, but mostly because you had to memorize lots of useless details (molecular stuff = ugh) but taking it with Dej was fine.

All the upper year physiology stuff was lots of fun though.

Old 08-01-2010 at 08:09 PM   #203
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

This is a completely random question, but are we allowed to use our meal plan to make purchases at Pizza Pizza or Tim Hortons? Or is the Basic account only limited to a certain place where we can spend the money?
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:20 PM   #204
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

meal plan does work for pizza pizza... i had money left over and i still use it over the summer on pizza pizza deliveries in toronto... i doubt it works at all tim hortons.. but most def the ones on campus.. like in student centre/ mary keyes/etc.

but the portion used for pizza isnt basic.. its flex(or freedom) i forget which one.. but not basic... unless its a pizza pizza pn campus i guess.. like the one in IAHS/mohawk building

Last edited by giftedchick : 08-01-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:29 PM   #205
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
meal plan does work for pizza pizza... i had money left over and i still use it over the summer on pizza pizza deliveries in toronto... i doubt it works at all tim hortons.. but most def the ones on campus.. like in student centre/ mary keyes/etc.

but the portion used for pizza isnt basic.. its flex(or freedom) i forget which one.. but not basic... unless its a pizza pizza pn campus i guess.. like the one in IAHS/mohawk building
Haha, I don't have a freedom/flex atm. I kind of wanted to cook my meals, 'cause I'm pretty sure the food at Mac isn't something I'd be wanting to eat all the time, just for health reasons. Thanks for your help XD.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:33 PM   #206
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

all meal plans (group a and group b) have a freedom portion. teh amount jus depends on the size you chose
Old 08-01-2010 at 09:34 PM   #207
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

One of the things that I have noticed from most people is that when they come into university they seem to just blend in academically.. What I mean is everyone seems to study like they've been told or advised to by some upper year or a professor. I understand that at this age its very easy to copy what people older than you/ people who have been through first year already have done but this is not smart in my eyes. My biggest tip is spend your first year figuring out how YOU like to study, dont just blindly study/take notes/organize your day like another person because they say its the best way to do something. Everybody is different and the sooner first years/students in general realize that the better thier grades will be. For example, I learned in my first year that taking notes/printing lecture outlines and marking them up wasn't for me. I am one of those people who goes to class and actively listens and doesnt get bogged down writing every little thing the prof says (unless he/she explicitly says something thats not in the syllabus but is testable, I will write that down). I learn using the textbook, google, and youtube not the traditional method of learning. My method hasn't hurt me yet. So yeah understand that you are not going to learn like the stranger sitting beside you in a lecture hall. Explore various methods of learning and figure out how you learn. Its better for your marks to suffer a little in first term but improve dramatically from then on because you've figured out how you learn than for you to go through university learning in a way that appeals to your friend but not you. Thats my little nugget of advice.
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:04 PM   #208
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
One of the things that I have noticed from most people is that when they come into university they seem to just blend in academically.. What I mean is everyone seems to study like they've been told or advised to by some upper year or a professor. I understand that at this age its very easy to copy what people older than you/ people who have been through first year already have done but this is not smart in my eyes. My biggest tip is spend your first year figuring out how YOU like to study, dont just blindly study/take notes/organize your day like another person because they say its the best way to do something. Everybody is different and the sooner first years/students in general realize that the better thier grades will be. For example, I learned in my first year that taking notes/printing lecture outlines and marking them up wasn't for me. I am one of those people who goes to class and actively listens and doesnt get bogged down writing every little thing the prof says (unless he/she explicitly says something thats not in the syllabus but is testable, I will write that down). I learn using the textbook, google, and youtube not the traditional method of learning. My method hasn't hurt me yet. So yeah understand that you are not going to learn like the stranger sitting beside you in a lecture hall. Explore various methods of learning and figure out how you learn. Its better for your marks to suffer a little in first term but improve dramatically from then on because you've figured out how you learn than for you to go through university learning in a way that appeals to your friend but not you. Thats my little nugget of advice.

Speaking about learning: http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp

That should help you figure out what kind of learner you are.
Old 08-02-2010 at 10:20 AM   #209
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
lol I have to remember that one...physics isn't my forte!
LOL. No it isnt.
Old 08-02-2010 at 10:42 AM   #210
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
I 'wish' I knew was the importance of going to office hours and tutor help from the TAs, I tried to learn it all on my own and it was a lot more difficult than it had to be.

I 'wish' I networked more and formed study group sessions.

I 'wish' I had set up a meal plan of some kind (I'm off-campus), so I would have gotten the minor discount on campus food and got rid of the need to sort through my wallet to get moneys (small time reduction..)

I 'wish' I didn't purchase some of the textbooks I didn't end up needing (found on line)

I 'wished I didn't skip math.

I 'wish' I actually put reading week to good use (LAWL)

Thats all I can think of right now.

This is exactly how I feel. I wish I did everything that was stated here. Nicely put.