MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-28-2010 at 04:41 AM   #181
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

Thanks jhan523!
Old 06-28-2010 at 09:28 AM   #182
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

couldn't be bothered reading the thread, but after a horrendous first year, one piece of advice i would give is treat school LIKE A JOB. You WORK your ass off from 8 - 6,and then have drinks/enjoy yourself later. I think too many people (me included) come into uni having a sufficient level of intelligence and expect to have a great time and make great friends, while effortlessly keeping their marks up at the same time; without putting forth the effort day after day. Where are all my friends now that all my options have been very limited; and i virtually have to repeat the year, nowhere to be seen.

During the day (work hours)i will only be interested in making connections that can get me a job/increase my marks; and then have fun with the idiots whose company i enjoy AFTER work hours.

Despite what those perky C.A.'s tell you about how FUN university should be the stark reality for me anyways is your there to get PAID eventually so keep your head down (make connections though) and WORK, you have the rest of your life to relax afterwards.

can you tell im ranting

JeetDevDesai says thanks to manap3000 for this post.

Old 06-28-2010 at 09:55 PM   #183
JeetDevDesai

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
couldn't be bothered reading the thread, but after a horrendous first year, one piece of advice i would give is treat school LIKE A JOB. You WORK your ass off from 8 - 6,and then have drinks/enjoy yourself later. I think too many people (me included) come into uni having a sufficient level of intelligence and expect to have a great time and make great friends, while effortlessly keeping their marks up at the same time; without putting forth the effort day after day. Where are all my friends now that all my options have been very limited; and i virtually have to repeat the year, nowhere to be seen.

During the day (work hours)i will only be interested in making connections that can get me a job/increase my marks; and then have fun with the idiots whose company i enjoy AFTER work hours.

Despite what those perky C.A.'s tell you about how FUN university should be the stark reality for me anyways is your there to get PAID eventually so keep your head down (make connections though) and WORK, you have the rest of your life to relax afterwards.

can you tell im ranting
thank you...that by far seems to be the most legit advise!
Old 06-29-2010 at 07:27 AM   #184
JeetDevDesai

This is the website for lectures of MACROeconomics: http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/oshaubr/econC01.html

but i am looking for one for MICROeconomics!!!

HELp?????????
Old 07-01-2010 at 02:30 PM   #185
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/hholmes/1B03_Class/ Here you go jeet.

Btw, what classes did you pick? I'm going into the same program, thats why I just wanted to get an idea of what people are taking. ^_^

JeetDevDesai says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 07-04-2010 at 05:32 AM   #186
JeetDevDesai

So are there online eBooks/ notes/ for courses like biology, chemistry?????
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:53 AM   #187
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyong View Post
Where is this place? Maybe I'll take your word for it.
If somebody hasn't already replied, it's this small shwarma restaurant in Streetsville. It's a few minutes away from the Streetsville GO Station. If you want to Google Map it, it should be Osmow's Grill, either in Streetsville or Mississauga. I believe they have a Brampton location but I've never been.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-05-2010 at 05:36 AM   #188
JeetDevDesai

SCIENCE 1A00

Where do I do this course online since it has to be completed online!
Old 07-05-2010 at 07:45 AM   #189
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

It will be on whatever our new online system is called.. WebCT before, then E-Learning @ Mac (ELM), and now I'm not sure what the new system is called actually.. There's no big hurry to do it just yet, and it's verrryyyy easy. You basically just watch some videos and answer questions pertaining to lab safety and chemical disposal, etc.
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:40 AM   #190
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
It will be on whatever our new online system is called.. WebCT before, then E-Learning @ Mac (ELM), and now I'm not sure what the new system is called actually.. There's no big hurry to do it just yet, and it's verrryyyy easy. You basically just watch some videos and answer questions pertaining to lab safety and chemical disposal, etc.
avenue to learn: http://avenue.mcmaster.ca

Sci 1A00 didn't show up for a while, though...I definitely remember doing it in res, and not prior to school starting. It's too early to be worrying about it now!
Old 07-05-2010 at 06:08 PM   #191
lux

Liked: 318 Times

ZzzzZZ
Sleep is more important that studying before an exam. (in my opinion) Some may argue otherwise, but those are the people who drink coffee nonstop, have no long term memory, and have grey hair and breakout during exams --> vs. Which one would you rather be when sitting at a desk for 3 hours?
Old 07-05-2010 at 06:27 PM   #192
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nila* View Post
Tastes good for the first couple of bites, then you start feeling kinda disgusting.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 07-05-2010 at 07:33 PM   #193
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post

can you tell im ranting
There are two things that my grade 12 business teacher told me about university, and I've really taken his advice seriously, and I feel its why I preformed so well in my first year.
The first is one thing you stated, you should treat your studies at university as a job, but obviously one that you put way more hours into.
The second piece of advice he gave me, and what I feel to be the most important is to go to university to learn, not to get a job.
I think the later piece of advice is something more people should look at when thinking about their studies. Honestly, you should be at university because you want to learn - not because you want to get moar monies.

Old 07-05-2010 at 07:39 PM   #194
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Sleep is more important that studying before an exam. (in my opinion) Some may argue otherwise, but those are the people who drink coffee nonstop, have no long term memory, and have grey hair and breakout during exams --> vs. Which one would you rather be when sitting at a desk for 3 hours?
Yeah, sleep and being relaxed before an exam. If had an exam the following day I would spend the evening watching a movie, playing a video game, etc. Doing something relaxing the day before an exam is really important because it usually ensures you'll get a good night sleep and you'll won't have your nerves shot from over studying the night before.
Old 07-06-2010 at 11:07 AM   #195
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

This may have been mentioned already (I can't be bothered to read through all of the replies lol), but I will say that is so so so important to stay on top of things and even start them early if you can. I know it seems redundant and overdone, but I watched way too many people scramble this year to finish up projects and study for tests the night before, and the majority of the time it did not work out in their favour. If you have a huge assignment due at the end of the term, just start working on it bit by bit so by the time it's due all you have to finish up is the revision and then you can hand it in.