MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-22-2010 at 01:44 PM   #136
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I'd recommend against getting a meal plan if you live off campus. I had one at first, and while it was a bit more convenient I was spending way too much money on campus food. Cooking for yourself is cheaper, healthier, and often better tasting- getting into the habit early doesn't hurt.

Incidentally, most of the money was spent at Bridges. Agreed that its the best food on campus.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:50 PM   #137
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Depending on how far you commute a campus meal plan may be a good idea even if you prefer to make your own food.

It takes me an hour to go home and an hour to come back. Around exam time and midterms I never get a chance to go home to eat.

Also, if you end up with classes first thing in the morning, and evening classes you might be stuck on campus for two meals+snacks. I learnt eventually that I just couldn't pack enough food.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:51 PM   #138
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Also the place across from the University isn't that good. I'd go to one of the places in westdale that were mentioned already for Shawarma.
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:19 PM   #139
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
I just have another quick question:

Which is better meal plan if you are living off-campus?

or

No meal plan at all would be better?
I lived off-campus last year, and never really got the point of the Freedom Plan. Its suppose to make the food tax-free, but that isn't really consistent for all stores, and if you're not getting the tax off, then there really is no point in getting a meal plan. Straight up cash is a lot simpler, and far more versatile.

But ya as the OP said, it depends on how much you decide to eat on campus. I didn't eat on campus at all cause I lived pretty close to West End, The Hub, and Fortinos. It was just easier for me to grab something from those places.

Oh and if you're thinking of living off-campus, I'm gonna add a few more "advices":

1) DON'T live off-campus first year. Just live res. There is a lot more to do when ur res

2) Don't sign a 12 month contract if your renting later than May. Most landlords are kinda desperate right now to find people to rent their places, so get an 8 month contract, and bargain with the price as much as possible. Trust me, there isn't much demand for rentals after May.

3) You're microwave is your best friend. You're gonna be pretty busy, so find foods that can prepped with microwave. Oh and your brown, so a rice cooker is a must

4) If you're not renting a place with a group of people you know, then pick the place based on who lives there, instead of how nice the place is. You'll get used to a smaller room. You won't get used to living with douche-bags.
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:21 PM   #140
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

I wish I knew how awesome the food at bridges was, that cyclefit at the pulse was included in you're pulse membership, to look for textbooks that other students were selling because they are almost always cheaper than what titles charges (even for used!)
Another thing a lot of people don't know about is the centre for student development. I worked there last summer an they have a tonne of resources such as personal counseling, academic skills workshops, ELS support, test and exam deferrals and note takers for students with disabilities...I would honestly keep the CSD in mind, they can be extremely helpful during stressful times!! They are locted in the basement of the student centre room B107
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:23 PM   #141
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
this is what scares me about engineering classes..being surrounded by too many nerds.
That's an attitude you're destined to lose eventually. When you start needing nerds' help, you'll be glad they're there.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2010 at 03:32 PM   #142
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
this is what scares me about engineering classes..being surrounded by too many nerds.
You can run but we will find you and make you groan with our lame Chemistry jokes.
Resistance is futile.
Surrender now.
We expect your dignity on our doorstep by dawn at which point we shall mail you your Harry Potter glasses.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-22-2010 at 08:20 PM   #143
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

Thank you guys for answering my question about the meal plan and all

BUT

i forgot to say that I CAN'T COOK FOR MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

so now if you please help me choose what plan is good?
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:35 PM   #144
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Thank you guys for answering my question about the meal plan and all

BUT

i forgot to say that I CAN'T COOK FOR MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

so now if you please help me choose what plan is good?
I assumed u can't cook. Ur a guy...it goes without saying that u cant cook.

Like I said, get a microwave. If you want, you can get one of those coolers, so you can just bring food from home.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to lmasud for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:40 PM   #145
JeetDevDesai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmasud View Post
I assumed u can't cook. Ur a guy...it goes without saying that u cant cook.

Like I said, get a microwave. If you want, you can get one of those coolers, so you can just bring food from home.
I am coming from British COlumbia.......so idk if bringing food from home would be such a delicious idea!!! lol
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:43 PM   #146
JeetDevDesai

Also what type of laptop would be better at mCmaster?

An apple or microsoft?

I was thinking a mac would be better since mcmaster is called mac and all!
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:46 PM   #147
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I have a mac, and the only issue i've had with it is that minitab (the software used for stats2B03) doesn't work on macs. I could solve this problem if I partitioned my hard drive, but I'm far too lazy. Either type of computer should be fine.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:47 PM   #148
JeetDevDesai

i am not gonna take stats so a mac should be good right?
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:50 PM   #149
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Most science programs require stats, as well as many professional schools, so it's too early to say for sure that you won't takes stats. I hate hate hate stats with a passion but got screwed into taking it as a prereq for pharmacy. But, even if you do take stats, and you have a Mac, you can do the stuff using Minitab in the computer labs on campus. So, yes, a Mac will be fine.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to nerual for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:56 PM   #150
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
i am not gonna take stats so a mac should be good right?
Basically, if you know what you're doing on a PC, you'll save some cash getting that and you'll likely get a more powerful computer (especially important for gamers). If you're one of the 75% of University students who seems to feel the need to click on and run every sketchy thing they can find online on their PC, you should probably pony up for a Mac, it'll save you from yourself and it's shiny and has great battery-life.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.