MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-21-2010 at 09:08 PM   #106
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
I could've sworn the restaurants name was Basilique.

What is basilisk?
Basilique=restaurant

basilisk=legendary "king of serpents" that can kill by looking at you, also known as the giant snake monster from Harry Potter

Old 06-21-2010 at 09:34 PM   #107
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Basilique=restaurant

basilisk=legendary "king of serpents" that can kill by looking at you, also known as the giant snake monster from Harry Potter
Well the basilisk predates Harry Potter by a couple of hundred years...

Last edited by Tailsnake : 06-21-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2010 at 09:55 PM   #108
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yes, but that's what most people know it as, hence the "also known as" part. Many of the creatures in Harry Potter come from real legends.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:01 AM   #109
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

Ok I am really confused about the course selections stuff and my date to select courses is coming up fast! June 27th....

now whats the protocol for this timetable making what is a good timetable for life sci if my final goal is to become a surgeon in medical school...

my short term goal is to change to health science 2nd year!

how do i plan the timetable?
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:06 AM   #110
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
Ok I am really confused about the course selections stuff and my date to select courses is coming up fast! June 27th....

now whats the protocol for this timetable making what is a good timetable for life sci if my final goal is to become a surgeon in medical school...

my short term goal is to change to health science 2nd year!

how do i plan the timetable?
Use the undergraduate calendar to pick your courses: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/
You use the MasterTimeTable to see what terms the courses you want are being offered as well as the times of the sections: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/
Use Excel or Word to make a timetable using the information that you found.

You won't be able to pick your sections, but this allows you to make a conflict free timetable and you can use it for reference when switching sections in August.

You should already have/be looking into medical school prerequisites. They are different at each medical school. You should especially look into this if you plan on going to the States, they have many requirements.

If you want to switch into Health Science, then you'll have to figure out the courses you need to complete this year in order to be eligible. You can find this information in the undergraduate calendar or by calling the Health Sciences department. (Just call McMaster, 0 for operator and ask for the Health Sciences department).

JeetDevDesai says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 02:49 AM   #111
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Things I wish I knew:

- How to socialize more.

Yeah, that's about it.

*Resumes antisocial/nerdy activities*
Old 06-22-2010 at 05:12 AM   #112
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Well MacInsiders is one step closer
Old 06-22-2010 at 06:42 AM   #113
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Osmows in Mississauga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other shwarma place you know of.

This inequality is so large that: Any other shwarma place you know of = 0 and Osmows in Mississauga = + infinity.

That is all.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

AelyaS likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 07:01 AM   #114
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

- Don't waste your time and plan your day ahead of time.
as in what you are going to do/want to achieve during breaks and after classes.
- Unlike what other people say, you CAN watch tv shows. Just make sure you can control yourself and only watch a reasonable number of episodes (1~2, depending on your workload) I used it as an reward for myself after completing my tasks daily.
- Make sure you don't pull an all nighter unless it REALLY REALLY requires you to do it. Some people claim (no offense) "OMG I studied so much. I pulled an all nighter!". No. That ain't a good method. Make sure you study EFFECTIVELY. Only you can find out what is right for you. For example, I learn the most in lectures - so I try to gather as MUCH as possible in lectures and, instead of studying 24/7, I review notes and try to think of what profs said. PLEASE PLEASE don't study 24/7. That purely is dumb in my opinion. Study for a handful amount of time and you are good. The more you "STUDY" (or MSN, or staring at the wall), the less focused you get and the less effective your studying gets. Your brain needs a break.
- Get in shape. I personally failed on this one actually. I was able to keep up with it during the first term, but as work piled up (oh yes. health scis do have work.- they get owned by group work) I couldn't do it. But in retrospect, I think I could have found a block of time, if I really wanted. Exercise is also a great way to relieve your stress coming from studying.

bhatoai, JeetDevDesai all say thanks to hyvaa for this post.

bhatoai, JeetDevDesai like this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 07:01 AM   #115
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

For shawarmas or greek salad I would say go to Montford's!! Love that place! It's in westdale too.

Old 06-22-2010 at 07:31 AM   #116
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Here's a food related one: GO TO BRIDGES. I think a lot of people pass on it because everything there is vegetarian, but in my opinion Bridges has THE BEST food on campus. Period. =D

JeetDevDesai says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

ingénieur.xo likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:20 AM   #117
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Here's a food related one: GO TO BRIDGES. I think a lot of people pass on it because everything there is vegetarian, but in my opinion Bridges has THE BEST food on campus. Period. =D
I completely agree. It might be a tad expensive if you aren't on meal plan, but their food is really filling and not super greasy
Old 06-22-2010 at 08:37 AM   #118
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Osmows in Mississauga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other shwarma place you know of.

This inequality is so large that: Any other shwarma place you know of = 0 and Osmows in Mississauga = + infinity.

That is all.
Where is this place? Maybe I'll take your word for it.

Old 06-22-2010 at 08:55 AM   #119
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Really?

As a vegetarian I didnt even like the food

to each his own i guess.
Old 06-22-2010 at 09:06 AM   #120
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
I could've sworn the restaurants name was Basilique.

What is basilisk?
lol...I've always called it bassilisk cause Im a bit more fimiliar with those