MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 05-17-2011 at 11:38 AM   #256
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Also, take a break from studying every half hour so you don't ruin your eyes, even if it's just for a minute or two. In first year I always got headaches from reading textbooks, and it cut into the amount of time I was able to spend studying. Additionally, on my way out of the library my vision was essentially shot.

After seeing my optometrist, she informed me that reading something close to you (like a textbook or computer screen) strains the muscles in your eye because they're trying to focus on something near you. When you look up, the muscles have a difficult time retracting so they can focus on things in the distance. With your muscles strained for a long period of time, there's a very good chance you'll get a headache, and the longer you strain the muscles, the more time they'll take to retract when they need to focus on things in the distance. Sounds obvious, but people often forget this. She suggested that for every half hour I'm looking at something up close, I take a minute to stare at something far away to let my eye muscles retract. It helped a lot with how long I was able to study this year, and I no longer have a problem with headaches from reading.

It may sound stupid, but some people (myself included) don't think about things like this, and it really affects the amount of time you can study, not to mention the quality of the studying you do.

/optometryrant

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:42 AM   #257
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishk33 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned before
...but NEVER ...i repeat NEVERRRRRRRR EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR take a course just because other students think it's easy. I ****ed up my C.A by taking courses as my electives that were "considered easy". And I am not saying they weren't.. some had tests that were easy BUT omfg.. if you dont like the material you wont study.. atleast I wont study. I have to love the course and its content to do really well. This would be the biggest regret of my university life :(

And I know it's not because I can't focus or I am dumb because I have gotten straight 12s in courses like: cell bio, cytoplasm, animal physiology and other courses that were very sciency and fascinating. But then I decided to take courses like earth science -_- and geography 1Ha3

So in the end, it really matters what YOU LIKE.. dont listen to people. The most I do to see if I like a course or not.. read the course description, talk to the prof ( this has helped me alotttttt), check the prof rating and jump in. Because I bet most of the people drop their C.As because they're not interested in their courses.
Kinda like when I decided to take linguistics and plant bio

"SUCH EASY 12'S MANNNNNNNN derppp"

Not at all.
Old 05-17-2011 at 11:43 AM   #258
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Seconded about the eyes-break-thing. That is definitely important, especially when you start going cross-eyed.
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:12 PM   #259
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post

Not at all.
EDIT: Shouldn't say what I just said on a thread for incoming students...

But seriously, you should have dropped that class like I did. Not a single shit was given over the loss of that class, even though I had to make up for the units.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 at 02:21 PM   #260
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post

Not at all.
It's because of things like this that I have vowed never to take Geography or Enviro Sci. I know for sure I'll get bored out of my mind, even though soooo many people take these courses!

Just saw this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
Edit: Considering I just finished my first year it's pretty sad how many of these posts would've helped me. Maybe I should have read it before the year ended...
True. But then again, you don't truly learn until you experience it. How many times have I heard upper year students and professors going on and on about studying in advance, not putting things off for the last minute, doing the practice questions, etc..? I still didn't. My bad, but now I know that if I want to get good grades (>10), I definitely need to cover those bases too.

Last edited by Faer : 05-17-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2011 at 02:25 PM   #261
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
It's because of things like this that I have vowed never to take Geography or Enviro Sci. I know for sure I'll get bored out of my mind, even though soooo many people take these courses!
That's a good idea. First-year Geography is easy, but dull to people who aren't interested in it. Additionally, the group projects can bring your mark way down (I think about 20-30% of your mark is determined by the group projects). An "easy 12" if luck is on your side come group-picking time.
Old 05-17-2011 at 02:28 PM   #262
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
That's a good idea. First-year Geography is easy, but dull to people who aren't interested in it. Additionally, the group projects can bring your mark way down (I think about 20-30% of your mark is determined by the group projects). An "easy 12" if luck is on your side come group-picking time.
Mhm, group projects should never make up a large part of the grade. I mean, even if I'm bored, I'm sure I can pull off a decent mark, but if you have group members who just aren't that serious about their grades...it sucks. Big time. It's all right if you don't want to do well, but I really don't think anyone has the right to endanger the other's grade. Which is where the 'group' part comes in. *sigh*

alh24, RememberTwce like this.
Old 05-17-2011 at 03:12 PM   #263
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
True. But then again, you don't truly learn until you experience it. How many times have I heard upper year students and professors going on and on about studying in advance, not putting things off for the last minute, doing the practice questions, etc..? I still didn't. My bad, but now I know that if I want to get good grades (>10), I definitely need to cover those bases too.
You are very right. Despite all previous warnings I still skipped classes, delayed readings and left studying to the day before.

At least we know for next year.

It's probably been mentioned but another good tip is knowing the distinction between just going to class and going to class + being awake to take notes. Learn when you should just choose to sleep in and when you should sleep early the night before so you will have enough energy the following morning.
Old 05-18-2011 at 02:51 AM   #264
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
It's probably been mentioned but another good tip is knowing the distinction between just going to class and going to class + being awake to take notes. Learn when you should just choose to sleep in and when you should sleep early the night before so you will have enough energy the following morning.
You know, it never made any difference for me. O_O I would sleep like 6-8 hours every night and STILL fall asleep in my bio lectures. Embarrassing, especially since I always sat front row. xD
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:31 AM   #265
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
You know, it never made any difference for me. O_O I would sleep like 6-8 hours every night and STILL fall asleep in my bio lectures. Embarrassing, especially since I always sat front row. xD
Lol, one time i fell asleep in my chem lecture, i woke up and my proff was standing infront of me. ( I sat in the front row.)

tatski-p likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 07:54 AM   #266
Faer
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
Lol, one time i fell asleep in my chem lecture, i woke up and my proff was standing infront of me. ( I sat in the front row.)
Hopefully your professor didn't say anything? Dr. Kajuira caught me once...I think... xD She told me I could use Reading Week to catch up on my sleep...

Which reminds me...

NEVER FALL ASLEEP IN DR. LANDRY'S CLASS. EVER.

He notices, especially if you do it every single lecture. Then he singles you out. Makes fun of you. And at the end of term, offers you a cookie for sleeping through every class.

So, DON'T EVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE.

Old 05-18-2011 at 09:47 AM   #267
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I only fall asleep in tsh128

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 05-18-2011 at 11:24 AM   #268
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

This is a good thread I hope it never dies. More stuff I wish I knew...

1) CALM THE F*** DOWN. I spent first year and part of second year in a state of constant anxiety to the point that it started to really affect me physically... I was throwing up before midterms, getting nightmares etc, it sucked. Long story short I eventually promised myself to make happiness my top priority, and surprise surprise, my grades skyrocketed. Treat yourself well.

2) Start sending out resumes in December/January if you want a legit summer job.

3) Take advantage of the services provided by your faculty's Careers/Co-op office. They will show you how to write a proper resume and cover letter so you can get said legit summer job. (I didn't even know it existed before I took Science 2C00 haha)

4) Orgo is seriously not that bad.

5) Spend more time with your housemates, you will miss them once summer rolls around

AelyaS, mangam3, MirandaC like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 03:23 AM   #269
KMMF

Liked: 3 Times

I found that second year in science was much harder than first year. The work load increases and overall the courses are more difficult. Enjoy your time here and make good friends. And mugsi/solar is awful, so prepare yourself for sleepless nights!

BlueWave likes this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 05:40 PM   #270
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I only fall asleep in tsh128
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one. With the lights off and Dr. Cameron talking Plant Bio, it was the only lecture hall I can actually fall asleep in -__-