MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 07-12-2011 at 08:09 AM   #301
devdjd
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Hmm, what to do when your first year summmer starts? (Job or no Job)
One of the things I wished I knew in first year was how to look for work when summer came. I had no parents to help me and I was on my own. I ended up doing many extra things besideds school and was overwhelmed with my science classes that looking for work didn't phase my mind.
Start looking before December for Internships, and possibly February/March for municipal jobs. Start applying for government jobs early so that in a year or 2 you could be contacted. Always volunteer to update your resume. Make sure you take advantage of the Student Success Centre for career and resume advice. It will come in handy. I learned badly from my first year where I had to somehow pay rent with no job. No job + rent = VISA (the worst solution possible).
So my advice is to keep your life balanced by gaining other experiences on top of school. Also pick up an arts. I dance and teach salsa, and it has come in handy when applying for jobs because people remember you. Don't forget, when you are done your degree, your resume is what makes you stand out in the end as well!

Devin Dzelme
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:02 AM   #302
MeganC

Liked: 0 Times

Wish I had known how very similar so many of the courses were to grade 12 and not been so nervous/overwhelmed in the beginning
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:44 AM   #303
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

- Make a lot of study notes during classes.
- Read the textbook ahead of time.
- Bring snacks to class.
- Have a backup of all your important files, technology does fail from time to time.
- Start looking for a summer job / a place to stay next year as early as possible.
- Eat right.
- Make good friends.
- Time goes by waaay too quickly, enjoy the next 4 years to the fullest.

dreamer21, MirandaC like this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 07:10 PM   #304
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I wish I knew that I can email the department to get a seat for a certain course I wanted to take such as Spanish 1Z06 (for example)
I wish I knew about the OSAP Summer School form for summer school
Old 07-18-2011 at 07:24 PM   #305
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
I wish I knew that I can email the department to get a seat for a certain course I wanted to take such as Spanish 1Z06 (for example)
I wish I knew about the OSAP Summer School form for summer school
Not true, wish it was though =(. Emailed the department for Japanese 1Z06 and no luck
Old 07-18-2011 at 07:27 PM   #306
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter02 View Post
Not true, wish it was though =(. Emailed the department for Japanese 1Z06 and no luck
Yep, sadly it's not entirely true. Although, in rare cases, you might get lucky and get a spot. Most of the time however, it doesn't work :(.
Old 07-18-2011 at 07:29 PM   #307
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Yep, sadly it's not entirely true. Although, in rare cases, you might get lucky and get a spot. Most of the time however, it doesn't work :(.
But always worth a try if you really want to take a course but can't get in.
Old 07-18-2011 at 09:14 PM   #308
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Quote:
Second term this past year I emailed the humanities department about a course and when I didn't get a reply I went to the department office and spoke to someone about it and about 5 days later they had a spot for me. You should do this if you really want the course, it's worth a try
Old 07-18-2011 at 10:51 PM   #309
booboo

Liked: 1 Time

Omg there are so many things I wish I knew before I started first year..

Don't just nerd it up for first semester, be consistent. (I made that mistake and I completely gave up during second semester and I regret it)

SLEEP... I pulled soooo many all nighters because I thought it didn't affect me. I ended up getting all delirious and loopy after awhile. Also you should definitely get a few hours of sleep before any exam. I made the mistake of staying up for like 2 days straight and then passed out during my exam for a good 15 minutes.

Do your readings if you have any... one of my upper year friends told me not to worry about readings so I didn't... and it COMPLETELY screwed me over.. it was a disaster.

Don't let all the freedom get to you... you're at Mac for a reason. It's not about how you start, it's about how you finish. Just because you got in doesn't mean you'll stay. So just try your hardest and remember it's school, not a vacation from home

Oh and please please please do not live off junk food. I got hooked on redbull and chips and salsa as my allnighter snack and the outcome was not good. Never felt so gross in my entire life.
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:06 PM   #310
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

This is such a great thread! Thanks to all the senior students for helping us out!

ricechrispy likes this.
Old 07-18-2011 at 11:08 PM   #311
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Review your notes before class.
Suddenly what your professor says won't sound so insane anymore and the lecture will "slow down" a bit.
Highlight the points you need clarification on. If they are not covered properly during class, then ask questions ASAP. Will make your life much easier.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Philipp31 likes this.
Old 07-19-2011 at 01:36 AM   #312
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
I guess that's true but I only learned it when I signed up for my courses for September this year. I was able to get into Japanese 1Z06 first time when I signed up for my first year courses on SOLAR, since I'm a humanities student.
Old 07-19-2011 at 09:17 AM   #313
pineaukeo

Liked: Liked 3 Times

i wish i didnt procrastinate

I wish I studied and did my homework aswell

oh and one more, eat properly!

Last edited by Tailsnake : 07-19-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2011 at 09:21 AM   #314
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineaukeo View Post
i wish i didnt procrastinate
Use the activities you procrastinate with as rewards for completing things on time.
Instead of watching TV (e.g.) and then studying, reverse the order. Set time limits and stick to them. E.g. I will watch 30 minutes of TV after 2 chapters of Bio, and then I'll do two more even if the show hasn't finished.

I find that helps a lot.

Or even just tallying up how much time you spend actually studying and how much you spend procrastinating helps put things into perspective and could be that "boost" you were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineaukeo View Post
oh and one more, eat properly!
Additionally, you can edit one post and add to it instead of posting multiple times.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by Tailsnake : 07-19-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2011 at 10:21 AM  
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

I find it much tougher to procrastinate, if I take a deep breath, and in a logical way analyze my options and realize that right now is the easiest time to do my work, if I hold it off till later I realize how difficult it will be.