MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 06-22-2010 at 09:06 AM   #121
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluandExile View Post
Really?

As a vegetarian I didnt even like the food

to each his own i guess.
Haha.. I became a vegetarian when I came to McMaster last year and Bridges was one of the defining reasons I managed to stick with it. Those soy chicken burgers, oh man. And the chili on flatbread? I daresay that's the best thing on campus. Plus all the awesome specials..
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:17 AM   #122
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

why do people say find a method of studying and then add in to never pull all nighters? Maybe all nighters work for soMe people and here you are telling them not to and to find a new method.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 06-22-2010 at 11:36 AM   #123
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Considering memory consolidation occurs during sleep...
Old 06-22-2010 at 11:59 AM   #124
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I wish I'd known about the OMBUDS office in first year. They're there to help settle disputes with professors.

One two separate occasions, I had issues with professors (namely, their refusal to regrade a paper/midterm that was clearly poorly marked in the first place), and wound up with lower grades than I deserved in both courses (I'm almost certain).

The OMBUDS office is a place where you can go to complain about such issues, and they'll provide you with sufficient mediation to resolve the conflict. So if you're ever feeling mistreated, think OMBUDS. Just keep it in mind!

http://www.mcmaster.ca/ombuds/

JeetDevDesai says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

JeetDevDesai likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:01 PM   #125
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Osmows in Mississauga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other shwarma place you know of.

This inequality is so large that: Any other shwarma place you know of = 0 and Osmows in Mississauga = + infinity.

That is all.
You can't compare 0 and {infinity} using a linear ordering...lol (< or >).

What you mean to say is that any other place is epsilon > 0, and small, while Osmows is 1/epsilon. Haha

Mahratta likes this.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:04 PM   #126
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
why do people say find a method of studying and then add in to never pull all nighters? Maybe all nighters work for soMe people and here you are telling them not to and to find a new method.
LOL
Failure @ Basic Psych Memory Consolidation Principles

Equivalent of what you said for something that may be more familiar to people:
Quote:
why do people say find a diet you can stick to if you wanna lose weight and keep it off and then add in to not eat ridiculously fatty foods with almost no nutritional value? Maybe eating ridiculously fatty foods with almost no nutritional value works for some people and here you are telling them not to and to find a new method.

JeetDevDesai says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

Old 06-22-2010 at 12:20 PM   #127
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Maybe im a rare exception, but the one time I pulled an all nighter for a midterm was the best I ever did on any midterm. And it was in chem... the class I found the hardest.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:21 PM   #128
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

THNAK you ppl.........you guys are great help

THANK YOU ALL!!!
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:32 PM   #129
JeetDevDesai

Liked: 3 Times

I just have another quick question:

Which is better meal plan if you are living off-campus?

or

No meal plan at all would be better?
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:37 PM   #130
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

You can get an off-campus meal plan--there are details on the hospitality services website It's much more flexible than the on-campus meal plans.
Old 06-22-2010 at 12:44 PM   #131
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeetDevDesai View Post
I just have another quick question:

Which is better meal plan if you are living off-campus?

or

No meal plan at all would be better?
It really depends how much you're cooking/eating at home, but having some cash in your freedom account is always convenient. I was spending approx. $86 a week on food when I lived on campus in first year (went home for weekends) and I would've been perfectly fine with the second smallest On-Campus meal plan. If you're off campus the term meal plan requires about $55 a week, so it's really only worth it if you almost never plan to eat at home. For snacks on campus union market is usually just as cheap, if not cheaper than most places where you can use your meal plan to pay.

The best way to be safe would be to put $500 of a freedom account and just see how long that lasts you in first semester. If you don't use all of it throughout the semester then just having some cash on your freedom account is probably the best idea, if you do run out, you might want to look into getting a term meal plan since you'll save a bit more money.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:12 PM   #132
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Well I got a 10 and an 11 last semester in two classes that were pure memorization while pulling all nighters the day before the exams/midterms to study so if that's a fail....

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Sandra Shan says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:14 PM   #133
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The best way to be safe would be to put $500 of a freedom account and just see how long that lasts you in first semester.
Yes, I agree. It's always good to have some money on your freedom account for convenience sake whether or not you're on or off campus. Some places off campus accept 'flex' dollars as they're called.

You'll thank yourself for it when you're wandering around hungry at 3:00 AM into places like Gino's Pizza, too drunk to enter your bank card number.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:18 PM   #134
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Sometimes, all-nighters can be necessary for doing well on a test, however it's definitely not the most effective way to study. For example, for cell bio we were given approx 400 MC questions with answers, and told that our test would be a selection of these questions only. The test was on some journal articles that I only vaguely knew--I certainly had no idea what was going on at the level of detail we were being tested at. The night before the test, for a few hours, I went over the 400MC questions and memorized their answers. I barely even looked at the question, just at the combination of choices given and memorized which one to pick. I ended up with an 80 on that test, so it was a pretty decent mark, but I didn't learn a thing. I could have gotten 100 on the test if I'd spent more time memorizing answers instead of sleeping, but I wouldn't have learned/retained the material any better. While all-nighters can have the desired effect of getting a good grade, it's not something that should be relied on, imho.

Sandra Shan says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 06-22-2010 at 01:24 PM   #135
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

this is what scares me about engineering classes..being surrounded by too many nerds.

mc_kumar likes this.