MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Courses to Take in Spring/Summer AnimeGamer31 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 03-25-2012 04:29 PM
Tentative Spring/Summer timetable is out. oranges Academics 26 02-07-2012 04:06 AM
Spring/summer Courses nick Academics 5 05-10-2010 01:07 AM
Spring/Summer Sign Up? Deegs14 Academics 9 03-01-2010 02:37 PM
Spring/Summer Term Deegs14 Academics 14 11-09-2009 03:17 PM

Thinking about the Spring/Summer semester...

Old 11-27-2012 at 01:08 AM   #1
speirac

Liked: 1 Time

Thinking about the Spring/Summer semester...
I am in first year Humanities and plan on transferring to Level II PNB next September. I would like to take a full course load for two summers so that I can graduate a year early. (I have 6 units of transfer credits from another school so I would be able to fit everything in)

Is anyone else doing the same thing/ is this a bad idea?

Also, I noticed the prerequisites for all of my upper year PNB courses require registration in Level III or IV. In taking summer courses, how is it determined what level I am in, and if I will be able to register in these courses?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012 at 01:32 AM   #2
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Taking a full Spring/Summer course load is a bad idea. The material is much more condensed (packing a 12 week courses into less than six). Especially considering you are transferring programs, your grades are vital. This is also true when applying to professional schools, grad school, or seeking employment. Finishing early does not look impressive if the results aren't there. It is much better to get through school in four or even five years with high grades than three years with mediocre grades.

Taking two courses in one summer term is exhausting (I just did it) and taking two full terms would be gruelling and only leave ~3 weeks of relaxation time. Also, there is a decent chance that your schedule would make working difficult to impossible, as well as the fact that the time commitment is very large (week-to-week, the total time commitment is much larger than a standard course).

You remain in a level until September, so until September you will be considered a level I student. Speak with an academic advisor in the Associate Dean of Science office (it's in BSB - go in the front door, take the first left and it is the fist door on the right) about this. Depending on the courses you have taken/are taking, the academic advisor may be able to help you obtain course permissions/seat authorizations, since you will presumably be blocked from the courses on SOLAR either because of your level, or because the courses will be full when you get a chance to register as registration is staggered from the top down - i.e. Level IV has their period open first, then Level III and so on.

Obtaining these waivers will most likely involve visiting the PNB office, the academic advisor in the ADoS office can give you the relevant information.

All the best.

speirac says thanks to Alomar12 for this post.

speirac likes this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 01:39 AM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

from exp. i think u are allow to take only 2 courses max per term in s.s. So you can take a total of 4 for the duration of summer. Additionally, s.s. mainly offers only first courses and a hand full of upper year ones.

As for ur last q im not entirely sure, but as long as u have a min avg to with min core courses, u move up a year. So u'll be registered as a level 2 student in s.s.

hope that helps
Old 11-27-2012 at 10:00 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
from exp. i think u are allow to take only 2 courses max per term in s.s. So you can take a total of 4 for the duration of summer. Additionally, s.s. mainly offers only first courses and a hand full of upper year ones.

As for ur last q im not entirely sure, but as long as u have a min avg to with min core courses, u move up a year. So u'll be registered as a level 2 student in s.s.

hope that helps
No, as was already stated, you remain in a level until September. So this summer, the OP would still be considered a first-year student.

If you would like to take courses that require you to be in level 2+, departments will give you a waiver though, usually without any trouble at all.

Before you start this, you should take a good look at your requirements, the prerequisites, and what would be possible for you to take in the summer. You can look at the courses offered last summer as a guide, but it changes each year and there's no guarantee that a course offered last summer will be offered this summer. It depends on demand and prof availability.

speirac likes this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 11:43 AM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Very, very few Psych and PNB courses are offered during the summer, so you'd have to do pretty much all your non-psych electives in the summer.
additionally, PNB has courses "locked" to certain terms... ex. pnb 2XA3, 2XB3, 2XC3 you HAVE to take them in term 1 of second year so you can take 2XD3 in term 2... those are not offered in the summer.
and then there are a lot of upper year psych courses that require these courses as pre-reqs.

speirac says thanks to anon491 for this post.

speirac likes this.
Old 11-27-2012 at 06:41 PM   #6
MissLissaBee

Liked: 5 Times

Since there aren't as many classes running during the summer semester, when is the spring/summer 2013 course calendar released? So I can figure out which courses I need I can take.
Old 11-27-2012 at 07:31 PM   #7
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLissaBee View Post
Since there aren't as many classes running during the summer semester, when is the spring/summer 2013 course calendar released? So I can figure out which courses I need I can take.
It won't be out until mid/late term 2 if I remember correctly.

MissLissaBee says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 11-27-2012 at 08:51 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I completely disagree about a full summer load being a bad idea. I've always taken a full summer load and managed to work 20-25 hours a week... It's all about time management, and you still get the month of August off. I've always found a month to be more than enough rest.