MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion On First Year Profs mtariqq First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 07-11-2014 04:14 PM
Opinion on these profs Sb1995 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-21-2013 10:45 AM
You opinion on attending classes with... Cliu91 Academics 6 10-13-2010 11:24 AM
Math Prof Opinion Pls. **jewel 03** Academics 0 03-11-2009 03:18 PM

Thinking about these math classes…opinion on these profs?

Old 07-10-2014 at 03:11 PM   #1
inkhawk157

Liked: 0 Times

Thinking about these math classes…opinion on these profs?
Would like some opinion on these profs. I want a minor in Math.

1. Ian Hambleton - Math 3B03 (geometry) . Read some critical reviews of him. Probably not gonna take a class with him
2. Andrew Nicas - MATH 3T03 (topology) . He has good reviews. Only one was recent in 2014. Any opinions of this guy?
3. Lia Bronsard - MATH 3X03 (complex analysis). She has horrible reviews, but her site seems to tell me she's actually fair and the RECENT comments seem to support on that too. Anyone had classes with her recently can give me your opinion?
Old 07-13-2014 at 04:52 AM   #2
tamefoxes

I've only taken classes with Bronsard (2xx,3x)but if you keep up with the class and do the homework, you should do very well in class. Her lectures are thorough and do not skip a single detail.

I've only heard things about Nicas and Hambleton but the consensus is that Nicas is a really fair professor (in terms of grading) and Hambleton is hard/expects a lot. I haven't taken any of their classes but I just took topology so it would be nice to have a professor that tells the ta to mark fairly.
Old 07-13-2014 at 06:33 AM   #3
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Be brave and take 3C03 and 3D03 with Minoo
Old 07-13-2014 at 12:14 PM   #4
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
I was thinking about it too. Some of the outdated reviews seemed biased. Until I saw this thread

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...7.html?p=53011

This guy seemed like a veteran in the field, so his opinion weighed a lot on me.
Old 07-13-2014 at 12:19 PM   #5
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamefoxes View Post
I've only taken classes with Bronsard (2xx,3x)but if you keep up with the class and do the homework, you should do very well in class. Her lectures are thorough and do not skip a single detail.

I've only heard things about Nicas and Hambleton but the consensus is that Nicas is a really fair professor (in terms of grading) and Hambleton is hard/expects a lot. I haven't taken any of their classes but I just took topology so it would be nice to have a professor that tells the ta to mark fairly.
Whom did you take topology with?
Old 07-13-2014 at 04:21 PM   #6
tamefoxes

Speissegger. He was tough but in the end it was worth it, plus the final was a lot easier than both midterms and assignments. I would highly suggest doing it with Nicas as well as 3x with Bronsard. Just completed 3x this year as well.
Old 07-14-2014 at 01:21 AM   #7
xThai

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I had 2XX3 and 3X03 with Bronsard and I personally enjoyed her as a prof. I saw really bad reviews about her on ratemyprofs, but honestly, she's not as bad as everyone on ratemyprof says she is. She does have an accent and her handwriting is really messy, but after awhile you get used to it. Her midterms are fair and her marking is fair.
Old 07-14-2014 at 04:10 PM   #8
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Negative comments on ratemyprof are usually written by student who did poorly and didn't want to admit their shortcoming.
Old 07-14-2014 at 08:53 PM   #9
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
Negative comments on ratemyprof are usually written by student who did poorly and didn't want to admit their shortcoming.
I usually look at what level of class did they take. I ignore most first years. There was a Ph.D student comment for bron.
Old 07-15-2014 at 01:59 PM   #10
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Lol what about 4B03 with him?
Old 07-15-2014 at 05:40 PM   #11
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

Bronsard is great, very thorough, you should be fine. She is definitely VERY fair, maybe TOO fair. If the whole class does badly she often bumps up the grade by 5-10% (and for some reason they tend to do badly... I dont think people try in her classes). I've had her 3 times and have had zero complaints.
Nicas has some hilarious puns which I quite enjoyed. I found that his lectures were "above and beyond" what he expected of you.
He gave practice tests which were similar to the real tests. And his assignments didn't contain the harder material from the lectures. I had him for 3B03 though, not 3T. But it should be similar.
Old 07-15-2014 at 06:20 PM   #12
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanieee View Post
Bronsard is great, very thorough, you should be fine. She is definitely VERY fair, maybe TOO fair. If the whole class does badly she often bumps up the grade by 5-10% (and for some reason they tend to do badly... I dont think people try in her classes). I've had her 3 times and have had zero complaints.
Nicas has some hilarious puns which I quite enjoyed. I found that his lectures were "above and beyond" what he expected of you.
He gave practice tests which were similar to the real tests. And his assignments didn't contain the harder material from the lectures. I had him for 3B03 though, not 3T. But it should be similar.
Alright I will definitely take those 2 then! I visited Bron's website and it looked very organized.

Any opinions on Minoo?
Old 07-15-2014 at 08:35 PM   #13
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I had Minoo once, for 2D03, and that made me not want to take his classes again. I even specifically dropped one because he was teaching it. I may have just been academically immature at the time, or too scared of his teaching style, but I didn't enjoy it and thus didn't apply myself. I got an okay grade, my friend aced it, but he stressed me out because his lectures were all over the map.
Old 07-16-2014 at 10:28 PM   #14
xThai

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I had Min-Oo for Stats 2D03 and Math 3C03. Min-Oo has an interesting style of teaching. His lectures are very fast paced and he skips a lot of content because he assumes that everyone is on the same page as him, so a lot of the time, you'll most likely be teaching yourself the material.

His assignments are quite difficult but doable. Midterms are a lot easier than assignments and he gives out a lot of hints for midterms. His exams are similar to his midterms, so as long as you can keep up with the content, you should be fine in his course.
Old 07-18-2014 at 01:44 AM   #15
inkhawk157

Quote:
Originally Posted by xThai View Post
I had Min-Oo for Stats 2D03 and Math 3C03. Min-Oo has an interesting style of teaching. His lectures are very fast paced and he skips a lot of content because he assumes that everyone is on the same page as him, so a lot of the time, you'll most likely be teaching yourself the material.

His assignments are quite difficult but doable. Midterms are a lot easier than assignments and he gives out a lot of hints for midterms. His exams are similar to his midterms, so as long as you can keep up with the content, you should be fine in his course.
I heard he goes off tangent a lot...you mean midterms similar to assignments?