MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
How to get to Hamilton GO centre? Strategy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 10-04-2010 11:17 AM
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
Leaving Utensils in the Common Room goodnews.inc Residence & Housing 12 08-14-2010 11:08 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

Ti-Cats Leaving Hamilton

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are leaving town.

In a letter to Mayor Fred Eisenberger issued this afternoon, TiCats owner Bob Young says after next year, “there will be no home for Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the city where we shared so much success and positive experiences together.” He adds the team will play out its last days in the city at Ivor Wynne stadium.

Young says Eisenberger’s refusal to adopt the east mountain site that ultimately pushed the team out of the city.

“You remain fixated on the West Harbour Stadium and without a strong political champion in Hamilton, it is impossible to continue our efforts with respect to the East Mountain proposal,” the letter reads.

“As such, I cannot be part of a process that destines us to financial failure before the first shovel goes in the ground. As owner of the Tiger-Cats, I cannot and will not be party to such an ill-advised concept.”

A Ticat source confirms that they are pulling their money off the table for the East Mountain stadium as well. There's concern that the relationship with the city has become so sullied that even if the East Mountain was selected, that negotiating all the other elements: lease, naming rights etc etc would be next to impossible.

No confirmation - or denial - on the Quebec City report yet.

Councillor Sam Merulla has been informed that the Cats have a $17 million deal with Quebec City, though that has yet to be confirmed with either the municipality or the Cats. In an email, Cats president Scott Mitchell refused to comment further, saying “the statement speaks for itself” and he “will not be, nor will anybody else be commenting further.”

Calls to Eisenberger, MPP Sophia Aggelonitis, and Pan Am CEO Ian Troop have yet to be returned.

Watch thespec.com for more updates.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:21 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
There are bigger problems in Hamilton other than the TiCats and this stadium. I wish the municipal government would put as much time and effort into other more important issues as they do with this stadium. I'm so sick of hearing about it.

andrew22, Kareko all say thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:00 PM   #3
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
We should write an article here everytime a company shuts down and people end up jobless.
Old 08-09-2010 at 08:42 PM   #4
Goce
Elite Member
Program: Political Science
Year: Other

Liked: 36 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
There are bigger problems in Hamilton other than the TiCats and this stadium. I wish the municipal government would put as much time and effort into other more important issues as they do with this stadium. I'm so sick of hearing about it.
There are bigger problems but this does impact more than just the municipal government and the team. Many people will be affected by this. Personally, I don't like American football so there isn't any loss for me in terms of entertainment. I'm also happy that the City has shown some backbone by not caving. It's good to know that the revitalization project isn't just all talk.

BeckieB, scott000 like this.

Old 08-10-2010 at 04:16 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Year: Alumni
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
****ing hypocrites

http://www.thespec.com/article/704705

scott000 says thanks to micadjems for this post.

scott000, Shmowen like this.
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:40 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 103 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
LOL. Nice find.
Old 08-10-2010 at 04:49 PM   #7
cjdzl
G0DFATHER
Program: Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 229 Times
who the hell watches the CFL anyway?
Old 08-10-2010 at 05:21 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
who the hell watches the CFL anyway?
People that want to watch a mainly dominant throwing game and less tactics than the NFL? The 3 down rule in CFL kills the game in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2010 at 05:26 PM   #9
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor
Program: Classics
Year: Masters

Liked: 141 Times
So much for those Tiger Cat posters plastered everywhere.....
Old 08-12-2010 at 12:19 AM   #10
andrew22
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 238 Times
"As the most recent owner of the Tiger-Cats, I have always believed that my primary responsibility to the organization, the fans and to the memory of my family, who I have honoured with this ownership, was to ensure that the team would remain sustainable moving forward. By that, I mean, ECONOMICALLY sustainable."

lol Mr. Robert (Bob) Young, what a guy

hopefully hamilton can skip stadiums, and use the money for something helpful.

Last edited by andrew22 : 08-12-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search