MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Flasher loose in Westdale .. again Kathy2 General Discussion 59 06-17-2010 08:57 PM
Tiger Woods Matthew K Athletics & Recreation 63 12-20-2009 03:05 AM
Underwear Thief at loose near McMaster! huzaifa47 General Discussion 34 10-28-2009 05:24 PM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM

Tiger loose in Hamilton ..?

Old 04-08-2010 at 10:33 AM   #31
zaverim

Liked: 4 Times

The dude in the phsb video: Jason Riley: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Riley

an ex CFL-er apparantly....
Old 04-08-2010 at 10:39 AM   #32
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaverim View Post
The dude in the phsb video: Jason Riley: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Riley

an ex CFL-er apparantly....
I highly doubt that man is 51 years old. I'd say he's 40 at the most.

He looks 30 something to me.
Old 04-08-2010 at 11:00 AM   #33
hmmmmmm

Liked: 1 Time

Hamilton
Hamilton the one of the poorest cities? The average family income is roughly 51k/annum. The city has twice the landmass of Toronto, and many different downtown communities. The downtown isn't the only place crime take's place it happens all over the city in every city, you just don't hear about it on the news. Crime rates are typically higher in sub-urban and rural settings, Stats Canada released an article to this effect;

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...ime-stats.html

In closing to judge a city the size of Hamilton on the shady neighbourhood that makes up 1/15th of the land mass is just stupid. Hamilton has the 3rd highest economic growth factor in Canada right now just below Toronto and Vancouver, the top medical university in Canada, the CANMET laboratory, over a hundred water falls, plenty of conservation areas, almost monthly spring to fall festivals, a great nightlife, plenty of shopping districts, great traffic planning, and it's only getting better since Eisenberger took over from the last shitty mayor.
Old 04-08-2010 at 11:32 AM   #34
Parnian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmmmm View Post
Hamilton the one of the poorest cities? The average family income is roughly 51k/annum. The city has twice the landmass of Toronto, and many different downtown communities. The downtown isn't the only place crime take's place it happens all over the city in every city, you just don't hear about it on the news. Crime rates are typically higher in sub-urban and rural settings, Stats Canada released an article to this effect;

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...ime-stats.html

In closing to judge a city the size of Hamilton on the shady neighbourhood that makes up 1/15th of the land mass is just stupid. Hamilton has the 3rd highest economic growth factor in Canada right now just below Toronto and Vancouver, the top medical university in Canada, the CANMET laboratory, over a hundred water falls, plenty of conservation areas, almost monthly spring to fall festivals, a great nightlife, plenty of shopping districts, great traffic planning, and it's only getting better since Eisenberger took over from the last shitty mayor.
http://www.hamiltonpoverty.c a/docs...ts_s heet.pdf

http://www.sprc.hamilton.on. ca/Rep...tyRepo rt.pdf

http://www.community-fdn.ca/doc/HCFPR040218.pdf

"Directing 100 per cent of our Community Fund towards poverty is a significant step, and one that we're taking because of the city's particular needs," says Carolyn Milne, President and CEO of Hamilton Community Foundation. "Hamilton's poverty rate, at 22 per cent, is above both the provincial and
national average, and there are a host of complex conditions playing into that, including the number of minimum wage jobs, cuts in welfare payments, housing problems and more."

"Dr. Ryan said the relevance of the Tackling Poverty Together announcement is underscored by the recent news of Stelco's application for creditor protection, Camco's forthcoming closure and the departure of Levi Strauss from Hamilton. "These and other challenges exacerbate an already critical situation in terms of people's ability to meet their basic living expenses. One in five Hamiltonians is living in poverty, and the rate is even higher for children, seniors, single parent families and immigrants. At no other time in our 50-year history as a community foundation have we had as powerful a mandate."

In conclusion, offer more statistics, less talk of pink and fluffy things Hamilton's rich and privileged have to offer that 1/5 Hamiltonians cannot even afford to use/have.
Old 04-08-2010 at 03:30 PM   #35
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

kate mckenna:

Old 04-08-2010 at 05:32 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
You guys laugh now, but just you watch. One day there will be a tiger terrorizing downtown Hamilton and no one will listen until it's too late.

That's why I always have a fun-pak of Frosted Flakes on me at all times.

On-topic: I sort of agree with Kathy. The homeless who talk to you downtown are kind of odd, but from what I've seen, they're harmless for the most part. The atmosphere just gets a little tense when the sun goes down because it's a little more difficult to distinguish between the safe strangers and the potentially dangerous ones. But then again, I'm not an attractive female so maybe that's why the homeless don't approach me as much. :(

...So I just realized that actually wasn't on-topic (considering the topic was initially about tigers), but it seemed more relevant than my first comment. =\

Edit: watching the Arthur vid now.

1. What did they do Arthur's voice? I swear he sounded older when I was watching the show.

2. How did Francine just dribble a basketball on sand?

3. "You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?"
I agree, Arthur used to sound older and different. Buster sounds the same though.
That line: "You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?" is hilarious!

Kind of funny that the episode is called "Buster the Myth Maker", because on the show Mythbusters, their dummy is called "Buster"

I never understood how Arthur could have a pet dog, yet some kids at the school were dogs.. How can animals have pet animals?

Entropy likes this.
Old 04-08-2010 at 06:44 PM   #37
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

You know, looking at the title again, I thought "Gee if I didn't know what this thread was about, I would've thought Tiger Woods was out and hitting the bars in Hamilton..."
Old 04-08-2010 at 09:11 PM   #38
hmmmmmm

Your poverty report is from Hamilton and does not offer a community comparison. The things I said are statistics, such as the average family income, the economic growth factor of 3.3%, the size, etc. The poverty report you gave me indicated a poverty rate of 20%, not 22%, AND the data is based on a census from 2001! Pretty Outdated.
Old 04-08-2010 at 09:31 PM   #39
Parnian

Quote:
Your poverty report is from Hamilton and does not offer a community comparison. The things I said are statistics, such as the average family income, the economic growth factor of 3.3%, the size, etc. The poverty report you gave me indicated a poverty rate of 20%, not 22%, AND the data is based on a census from 2001! Pretty Outdated.
First of all, what are you even wanting to say here? If you're arguing that Hamilton is combating homelessness and improving in that regard lately, I agree with that due to the Poverty Project that was recently implemented.

If you're arguing that Hamilton's reputation is in some way comparable to Toronto's, you're very misguided. People from Japan know about Toronto, they do not know about Hamilton. Hamilton has nothing to offer in that scale.

Lastly, instead of saying my statistics are outdated, provide your own links.
Old 04-08-2010 at 10:09 PM   #40
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree, Arthur used to sound older and different. Buster sounds the same though.
That line: "You really think someone would do that? Just go on the Internet and tell lies?" is hilarious!

Kind of funny that the episode is called "Buster the Myth Maker", because on the show Mythbusters, their dummy is called "Buster"

I never understood how Arthur could have a pet dog, yet some kids at the school were dogs.. How can animals have pet animals?
Tell that to Mickey Mouse.

Or Goofy. When you think about it, Goofy having Pluto as a pet is the equivalent of humans having children as pets. =\

I didn't even catch the Mythbusters parallel, nice find. =p
Old 04-09-2010 at 08:05 AM   #41
hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
First of all, what are you even wanting to say here? If you're arguing that Hamilton is combating homelessness and improving in that regard lately, I agree with that due to the Poverty Project that was recently implemented.

If you're arguing that Hamilton's reputation is in some way comparable to Toronto's, you're very misguided. People from Japan know about Toronto, they do not know about Hamilton. Hamilton has nothing to offer in that scale.

Lastly, instead of saying my statistics are outdated, provide your own links.
The poverty project is not a recent implementation it's approximately 10 years old

Hamilton's unemployment rate CURRENTLY is 0.3% below the national average.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/750627

Hamilton's economic growth is 3rd in the country trailing only Toronto and Vancouver;

http://www.thespec.com/article/749729

Hamilton is one of the top 4 immigrant settling destinations in the country(there are many sources, they vary on what the position is amongst the top 3);

http://www.cnmag.ca/issue-16/34-issu...-for-newcomers

And no my point is not that Hamilton is as world Famous as Toronto. Toronto is the largest city in the country, the argument is that Hamilton is a pretty good place to live with plenty to offer. And that the reputation of Hamilton as a whole should not be based on Cannon and Barton neighbourhoods, there are plenty of shady neighbourhoods in Toronto too. And people from other Country's do know about Hamilton. A lot of people from outside Canada are intrigued by the split city design(the escarpment dividing the upper city and the lower city). Your view point that any community falling short of Toronto's amusement centers could not possibly be a place people would want to go is stupid. People travel to plenty of small cities, towns, villages, etc. with absolutely no amusement/entertainment districts. All the things Hamilton has to offer are the things that Hamiltonians take for granted. I still don't get why my foreign friends would rather live here in Hamilton than in Australia or England... but they do.
Old 04-11-2010 at 09:45 PM   #42
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnian View Post
Good joke but I wouldn't doubt some people actually falling for it and getting worried. Again, downtown Hamilton = scary shit.
You think Hamilton is scary? Lol.......
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:01 PM   #43
teal

Liked: 0 Times

It's Bogus!!!!! See the link below to see who's behind this! (Whois report).

http://www.mainesubies.com/tcbs/index.html

Last edited by teal : 04-13-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:44 PM   #44
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
You think Hamilton is scary? Lol.......
People have these misconceptions about Hamilton and it's unfortunate.

I've explored Hamilton throughout my 4 years here, and everyone else should as well. It's a rewarding experience, and it's not scary or dangerous.
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:45 PM   #45
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Here's something interesting I read in Famous (the magazine you get at the movies). It's an interview with Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin from Superbad) about filming "Kick Ass" in Hamilton. You can see the article here, on page 30:
http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/Famou...l2010_lo. pdf

"We filmed in Hamilton. I hated it. Hated it. It was so bad. It was a bad area, but you've gotta do what you do for a movie."
Asked to expand, he says that aside from the sketchy neighbourhood, the people were rude, and then tells the following story. "We were at a bar and it was Open Mic Night so one guy was covering the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I believe, and I was playing pool with a friend in the back. And we were just talking, we were conversing and drinking, and three guys run up to us and go, 'Some guy's playing his heart out up there and you can't even have the respect to watch him!' And we're like, 'Dude, there's a pool table back here, you're like 30 feet away, that's the point of the bar. There's Open Mic Night and there's a pool table, it's what you do'. And he got so upset with us. It was very strange.