rrtt
Elite Member
Faculty: Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 56 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Sorry, allow me to rephrase.
I would only get married for the image. Especially if I was some sort of politician, or if I knew it would help me with sponsors or whatever. (but I'd let the person I was marrying know. too much drama otherwise)
[/color][/color]
Right. But Tiger Woods has children, and if he did get married for the image, it doesn’t seem like his wife knew. Plus, doing something for the “image” can completely backfire (case in point). It is better just to be true to yourself. But this is all speculation. I doubt Tiger Woods got married and had children just for the image.

I am really having a hard time understanding why someone would defend Tiger Woods. What he did was wrong...plain and simple.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 12-15-2009 at 07:29 PM   #47
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
Right. But Tiger Woods has children, and if he did get married for the image, it doesn’t seem like his wife knew. Plus, doing something for the “image” can completely backfire (case in point). It is better just to be true to yourself. But this is all speculation. I doubt Tiger Woods got married and had children just for the image.

I am really having a hard time understanding why someone would defend Tiger Woods. What he did was wrong...plain and simple.
Wrong is subjective... plain and simple.

XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-15-2009 at 07:34 PM   #48
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:
I'm not being forced to think this way. Sex is just sex. There's no magic behind it. This isn't a Disney movie.

Then you must be doing it wrong or with the wrong person. :| Or something is wrong.

I clearly cant quote.

Last edited by jo87 : 12-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 at 09:54 PM   #49
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
Then you must be doing it wrong or with the wrong person. :| Or something is wrong.
You really need to understand that different people have differen outlooks on many things, and sex is definitely one of them. For you to think that sex is magical and you should only ever do it when married with your one true love is fine... for you. It's naive of you to think that your perspective is superior, especially since there's a lot of people who live very different lives from what you seem to envision as ideal.

My point is this: To you or anyone else, sex might be something super special that you should take very seriously and all that jazz. To someone else, it's simply a fun activity. Who's "right"? Nobody, and it's not worth arguing over.

Did Tiger make a mistake? Yes, I think so... Unless Tiger has an open relationship with his wife (which happens fairly often... don't act like it's unheard of). The problem is that he didn't have an open relationship, which implies that he promised to be faithful to his wife.
Old 12-15-2009 at 10:36 PM   #50
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
You really need to understand that different people have differen outlooks on many things, and sex is definitely one of them. For you to think that sex is magical and you should only ever do it when married with your one true love is fine... for you. It's naive of you to think that your perspective is superior, especially since there's a lot of people who live very different lives from what you seem to envision as ideal.

My point is this: To you or anyone else, sex might be something super special that you should take very seriously and all that jazz. To someone else, it's simply a fun activity. Who's "right"? Nobody, and it's not worth arguing over.

Did Tiger make a mistake? Yes, I think so... Unless Tiger has an open relationship with his wife (which happens fairly often... don't act like it's unheard of). The problem is that he didn't have an open relationship, which implies that he promised to be faithful to his wife.

I don't see where I put sex should only be done when married, I was simply saying if it's not magical then something is wrong. Maybe your idea of magical and mine are different. Magical could either be, hot, mind blowing sex or passionate, love making or fun or whatever kind you have. Don't jump to conclusions.
Old 12-16-2009 at 07:15 AM   #51
Duarch
Program: BioPsych
Year: Fourth

Liked: 19 Times
I think what lawleypop meants by "sex isn't magical" is that it's not a phenomenon that goes above and beyond the norm. It isn't special. It is a physical, and at times an emotional, act that is required for the continuation of our species, we happen to take pleasure from it and it happens quite often.

What tiger woods did was wrong in that he broke the trust of his wife. Him forgetting their anniversary or not picking her up from the airport would be wrong too but it's not as "forbidden" as sexual affairs. That's the only reason the media pounced on it.

That's just my take on it.
Old 12-17-2009 at 10:34 AM   #52
andrew22
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 238 Times
Yo Tiger, you're good and all, and imma let you finish, but Chris Henry had the best domestic dispute involving a truck in 2009!
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:10 PM   #53
RTinkess31
Program: Computer Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: Keyes 08/09

Liked: 43 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Yo Tiger, you're good and all, and imma let you finish, but Chris Henry had the best domestic dispute involving a truck in 2009!
Much too soon.
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:11 PM   #54
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Guy hasn't even been dead 24 hours. :(
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:39 PM   #55
Alchemist11
Elite Member
Program: Life Science
Residence: A

Liked: 553 Times
All his sponsorships are like .. distancing themselves away from him with their reasoning being "he is no longer the right representative for us". That's cute. Now they're going to choose someone else who's probably doing the same thing, but just hasn't been caught yet.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 12-17-2009 at 03:44 PM   #56
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
All his sponsorships are like .. distancing themselves away from him with their reasoning being "he is no longer the right representative for us". That's cute. Now they're going to choose someone else who's probably doing the same thing, but just hasn't been caught yet.
Because what he did is totally representative of his golfing abilities.

If you wanna sell some clubs, you get Tiger to represent you. If you say "these clubs will make you play like Tiger," people are gonna buy them.

rage.

Old 12-17-2009 at 03:54 PM   #57
brendanp
Program: Biology

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Because what he did is totally representative of his golfing abilities.

If you wanna sell some clubs, you get Tiger to represent you. If you say "these clubs will make you play like Tiger," people are gonna buy them.

rage.
most of tiger woods ads don't have anything to do with golf, like the ones for gillette. sure he is swinging a club, but how that has anything to do with shaving or shaving related products beats me. he sells stuff because he is famous and has a good image(or had), not because of his abilities(although that is what made him famous i guess). so now that he has a bad image, people may not make the same positive association they used to, and bam, there goes his sponsorships.
Old 12-17-2009 at 04:00 PM   #58
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
most of tiger woods ads don't have anything to do with golf, like the ones for gillette. sure he is swinging a club, but how that has anything to do with shaving or shaving related products beats me. he sells stuff because he is famous and has a good image(or had), not because of his abilities(although that is what made him famous i guess). so now that he has a bad image, people may not make the same positive association they used to, and bam, there goes his sponsorships.
It was one example.

And yes, his image is the world's most famous sportsman. "Tiger shaves with gillette razors, and maybe you can someday be just as good as him if you shave with gillette!"

If you can honestly tell me that people bought gillette razors because his image is of having a perfect family and NOT of him being the world's most famous/richest sportsman, then I'll concede defeat.

Old 12-17-2009 at 04:21 PM   #59
andrew22
Account Locked
Year: First

Liked: 238 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinkess31 View Post
Much too soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Guy hasn't even been dead 24 hours. :(
heh with both of your annoyed looking avatars it makes it neat looking. be nice to the drunk driving fan of underage girls waa. pfft

at least he went down doing what he loved: breaking the law in a truck and fighting with women.
Old 12-17-2009 at 04:41 PM   #60
brendanp
Program: Biology

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
It was one example.

And yes, his image is the world's most famous sportsman. "Tiger shaves with gillette razors, and maybe you can someday be just as good as him if you shave with gillette!"

If you can honestly tell me that people bought gillette razors because his image is of having a perfect family and NOT of him being the world's most famous/richest sportsman, then I'll concede defeat.
all i'm saying is that his affairs didn't make him worse at golf, or take away his many accomplishments, so there is a reason the companies are withdrawing their sponsorships. maybe the companies are making a mistake, maybe they are right, i don't know. either way, they think people will view their products negatively if they view him negatively.

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread