MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time Table JayChu Academics 65 08-09-2011 10:12 AM
Time table lin_aj Academics 3 08-09-2011 04:40 AM
My Mock ENG I Time table, what do you think? :) TabbishAziz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 07-28-2011 10:06 PM
Need help with my time table. thisisje First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-12-2010 10:48 PM
on my time table... sj316 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-12-2008 11:35 AM

Time table generator

Members have rated post #317724 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 06-05-2012 at 05:52 PM   #76
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoa View Post
This is actually wickedly cool, and helps elevate my concerns for registering for my classes.

See, I am a fall 2012 1st year student and have zero knowledge of how it works.
Your creation look like it will make it sooooo much easier.

Sadly I have to ask what does the following mean;

Select a core - C-1 / C-2
Select a tutorial T-1 through T-10
Select Lab - L1 though L10

I know the required courses needed for Engineering 1, but need to know what does this choices represent.

Please help, I don;t want to start on a bad foot. Thanks !
C = Core meaning Lectures
T = Tutorial
L = Lab

You choose one of each (If there is the option, some courses don't have tutorial and/or labs)
Each section has its own time slots.
Old 06-05-2012 at 06:10 PM   #77
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
This is actually wickedly cool, and helps elevate my concerns for registering for my classes.

I know the required courses needed for Engineering 1, but need to know what does this choices represent.

Hey so when it says C1 or C2 it just means lecture so either one lecture or the other

T1- T10 are tutorials - usually in tutorials you have teaching assistants. depending on what type of class it is, you will get assignments or have discussions, get help with class work etc

L1 - L10 - so these are labs where you do experiments

usually you pick a tutorial and lab that go hand in hand so lets says if you pick L5 then you also pick T5 and they alternate week by week.

If you need further explanation let me know.
Old 06-05-2012 at 07:34 PM   #78
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:

first off, congrats on choosing mac! you won't regret the choice hehe.
a Core is basically a lecture, and the C-1/C-2 is in regards to which lecture section you'd be. for example, first year chem is mandatory for everyone in healthsci, science, and engineering, so the sheer number of students creates a need for many lecture sections. It doesn't really matter which lecture section you choose, since they all cover the same materials, but it kinda makes it easier to make your schedule.

A tutorial is the smaller sized class, usually around 15/20 students, with a TA, meeting (usually) on a weekly basis to cover material about the course but separate from the lecture material (depends on the course). there's so many to choose because there's so many students, for example the first year chem example-so many students, they need tutorials, so the school opens many sections. again, doesn't matter which time you choose but it makes scheduling a little bit easier.

Labs are similar to tutorials, and some courses will have both, some have one of the 2, others have neither (depends on the class!). they're basically a test of knowledge, practical application of knowledge and tools and stuff like that, used in the science/eng/healthsci faculties. again, there's so many in courses like chem because of the sheer number of students.

tl;dr-doesn't matter which you choose, as long as it fits into your schedule.
Old 06-05-2012 at 09:44 PM   #79
luke11992

Liked: 0 Times

this is great!
thanks a lot
Old 06-05-2012 at 09:53 PM   #80
negussj

Liked: 0 Times

this is going to sound childish...any way of making the courses appear different colours?
Old 06-05-2012 at 10:17 PM   #81
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by negussj View Post
this is going to sound childish...any way of making the courses appear different colours?
It's possible, but I'm not sure if everyone else wants it. The way it looks now is similar to how it looks on the actual timetable.

I can try and make it optional though; I'll probably get to that tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2012 at 10:57 PM   #82
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It's possible, but I'm not sure if everyone else wants it. The way it looks now is similar to how it looks on the actual timetable.

i don't know if this is possible, but goddammit i love your brain!
Old 06-05-2012 at 11:15 PM   #83
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post

Weren't you going to see if you could export the timetable it to Excel? If not everyone wants to have different coloured courses then those that do could just export it to Excel and change it themselves.
Old 06-06-2012 at 02:35 AM   #84
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Sweet stuff Dillon! Wish I had this idea :p

Will probably use it next year. Also love the more readable timetable. Much better than mtt. Could use some styling though (MMedia students, this is where you come in)
Old 06-06-2012 at 08:23 AM   #85
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Could use some styling though (MMedia students, this is where you come in)
Haha yes.... I'm pretty bad at making pretty interfaces.
Old 06-06-2012 at 10:16 AM   #86
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Okay guys, the thing should work properly in Firefox (and possibly other browsers) now. I changed the way the table is generated so that I could output something readable by excel, and a side effect of that appears to have fixed the strange issues with Firefox where everything appears under Monday. Apparently Firefox freaks out if you hide elements in CSS...?

I'll probably get around to making the timetables downloadable as excel tables either late today or early tomorrow.

Biochem47, icecubz, nerual, Watoko like this.
Old 06-06-2012 at 05:21 PM   #87
sam_akbari

Liked: 23 Times

Hey Dillon!

It works on Firefox and Opera so Way to Go!

Thanks a ton budd! You made my long, dreadful hours of planning into a 5 minute sitch. YOU THE MAN!
Old 06-06-2012 at 05:26 PM   #88
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Hey, im using chrome and found this bug. When I undo one of the courses in the 2nd term, the cells from the row the course was in, get transported to the previous row.

Last edited by Twinkle : 06-06-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2012 at 05:29 PM   #89
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Hey, im using chrome and found this glitch. When I undo one of the courses in the 2nd term, the cells from the row the course was in, get transported to the previous row.
Yup, I've actually caught and fixed that bug. I'll upload it with my other changes in a while.
Old 06-06-2012 at 06:25 PM   #90
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I bow to you.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences