MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010 Chad Academics 237 09-07-2011 10:40 PM
first thread of 2011 Juve General Discussion 6 01-01-2011 12:32 PM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/2011 Master Course Timetable danallan Academics 6 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Timetable Checking and Help Thread 2011

Old 06-07-2011 at 12:25 AM   #31
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otoshigami View Post
I want to take the Beginner's Intensive Japanese 1Z06 course for my elective requirement but I heard that it fills up pretty quick, which sucks because I don't get to register until June 29 and it'll probably be full by then :(

But I've also heard that you can somehow get a spot reserved in that course by contacting the Humanities or Linguistics department. Can anybody corroborate that?

If manage to show them that you really, really, reeeeeeeeally want to take the course, they might. You're in engineering, and your electives are severely limited. Manage to show them that their course is important to you, and all things considered, they'll open a seat for you.
Old 06-07-2011 at 06:00 AM   #32
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Ace, no one answered my question. </3
Old 06-07-2011 at 06:09 AM   #33
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Okay, first actual timetable to check!

I know that term 2 mornings are a bit messed up; I originally had another class scheduled in there, too, but Mmedia 1B03 looked more fun. I don't think I'll mind getting up early too much. I'm not exactly a morning person, but I figure that this way I can go to some classes earlier in the day, then study later. If I don't schedule any courses until noon, then I won't get up. I will thank myself later for it, if that makes any sense.

ALSO...just so you know, the times on the left for Term 2 get strange near the bottom, since mmedia start on the hour and all the others start on the half hour - I was too lazy to add more rows for the rest of the day.

My back-up courses are: Math 1C03, Comp Sci 1F03, Ojibwe 1Z03, Mmedia 1A03, and Anthrop 1A03.

Sooo...any suggestions?
Hey, so on the 27th (or whenever you pick your courses) you just pick your course. Then Mac makes a timetable for you and releases it in August sometime (just FYI). It is great that you have got it all figured out, cause in August you then can change it.

Some advice....I'd stay away from Dumont and Stover for chem. Dumont was terrible for first year chem imo. Stover wasn't too good either. Also, my chems were at the same times as yours....the dumont class on friday at 4:30pm was brutal....sooo brutal.

Last edited by Biochem47 : 06-07-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Bug324 says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 06-07-2011 at 06:51 AM   #34
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochem47 View Post
Some advice....I'd stay away from Dumont and Stover for chem. Dumont was terrible for first year chem imo. Stover wasn't too good either. Also, my chems were at the same times as yours....the dumont class on friday at 4:30pm was brutal....sooo brutal.
Dumont is doing all but one of the lectures for 1A03, but I think the last one would fit...has anyone ever had Emslie?

For 1AA3, I really would like to get Lock, but I don't know if it will be possible - maybe when SOLAR does sectioning it will come up with some magical solution.
Old 06-07-2011 at 07:12 AM   #35
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Anyone taken BIO 2L03 with Jacobs?
Old 06-07-2011 at 10:38 AM   #36
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Anyone taken BIO 2L03 with Jacobs?
Yep, what would you like to know about it? =D

This was probably my favourite class last year. The in-class component is relatively dry, but the labs are really cool! Plus the exam is a take-home assignment that you can finish pretty easily with the help of others in the class. Hands down, these will be the best organized and orchestrated labs you will do in second year!

pavlov says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:04 AM   #37
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Dumont is doing all but one of the lectures for 1A03
You poor souls :( Go with the other teacher....anyone is better than Dumont.

EDIT: and yes, Lock is amazing. I ended up going to a lot of her lectures.
Old 06-07-2011 at 11:19 AM   #38
TheCrucible

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Dumont is doing all but one of the lectures for 1A03, but I think the last one would fit...has anyone ever had Emslie?

For 1AA3, I really would like to get Lock, but I don't know if it will be possible - maybe when SOLAR does sectioning it will come up with some magical solution.
I was lucky enough to get Lock scheduled for 1st semester, but not for 2nd. I remember going on SOLAR after it reopened and, surprisingly, there were spots open for Lock 2nd semester. Then I remember frantically trying to keep the spot, because to do so, I needed a specific Physics lab that was full. I went on SOLAR at least three times a day for who knows how long until a spot actually opened for that Physics lab and I could switch.

Clearly I was obsessed. But the point is, it's not impossible! But you have to be willing to go on SOLAR daily, which could be a pain...
Old 06-07-2011 at 12:51 PM   #39
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Yep, what would you like to know about it? =D

This was probably my favourite class last year. The in-class component is relatively dry, but the labs are really cool! Plus the exam is a take-home assignment that you can finish pretty easily with the help of others in the class. Hands down, these will be the best organized and orchestrated labs you will do in second year!
Thanks for the summary. So essentially the course has 6 labs, assignments and a take home exam correct? How was the work load in this course compared to your other biology courses in 2nd year? and the million dollar question...how attainable is a 12?
Old 06-07-2011 at 01:35 PM   #40
Freak705
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlov View Post
Thanks for the summary. So essentially the course has 6 labs, assignments and a take home exam correct? How was the work load in this course compared to your other biology courses in 2nd year? and the million dollar question...how attainable is a 12?
From what I remember:

Lab 1 - Ecology
The point of the lab is to assess the health of Cootes Paradise by examination of water pH and phosphate concentrations, as well as by measure of bioindicator species. Basically, you get to go down to Cootes as a class, and dig up some bugs in the wetlands to count them. Different species tolerate different levels of pollution and contaminants, and so by counting the different number of different species you can get a rough estimate of the local health of the ecosystem

Lab 2 - Microbiology & Quorum Sensing
Here you'll inoculate potato slices with two different types of bacteria, and try to isolate bacterial HSL (homoserine lactones) which act as chemical messengers for the bacteria that drive metabolism and behaviour depending on population density of the bacteria. Based on the results from the potato inoculation, you construct a hypothesis and a model experiment to test your hypothesis for week 2.

Lab 3- Animal Physiology
This one was a reaaaally cool lab. You put a frog under, and then dissect it to expose the heart while the frog is still alive. You hook up the heart to a small pin that's connected to a force trasnducer and computer, which measures the frog's heart contractions (essentially it creats an ECG on-screen). The point of the lab is to investigate different hormones and chemicals that effect the heart rate and stroke volume of the heart. Very mega super awesome cool.

Lab 4- Cell Biology
This one was a little tedious, but still pretty interesting. You use the model system of chromatophore dispersion on fish scales to characterize movement of chemicals within a cell. Essentially, different chemicals/messengers can effect the distribution and transport of materials in a cell along the cytoskeleton. Your job is to create a serial dilution and measure the effects of various chemicals on the dispersion of chromatophores. The tedious part is counting, and rating individually the chromatophores (~30 per scale, photographed every 30 seconds for 5 minutes, on about 5 or 6 different trials).

Lab 5- Plant-Pathogen Interactions
This was another really cool lab. The point of this lab was to inoculate several strais of the model organism Arabadopsis thaliana with 2 strains of bacteria, directly into the leaves. You then characterize the infection after certain time periods by photograph, and by serial dilution plating and colony counting by extracting bacteria from the plants after an the inoculation period.

Lab 6- Mutant Screening of C. elegans
This was a pretty simple lab. In week 1 you have two strains of worms, one that was randomly mutagenized chemically, and one strain with a specific mutation that makes it unable to perform proper chemotaxis. Basically, you form a pellet of worms, and put them on petri dishes that have dots of salt or water. Normal worms move to the salt, and worms with mutations in genes involving chemotaxis should move randomly. At the end of the lab you try to isolate 3 worms that you believe to be chemotaxis deficient, and allow them to grow and reproduce for a week. In week 2, you repeat the experiment with the progeny of your worms from week 1 to see if you were successful.

The assignments are very straight-forward. At the beginning they'll be about hypothesis formulation, or designing an experiment. Pretty simple stuff. Later on the assignments focus on publishing papers, or retracting papers, etc. They're not difficult.

Labs are every week, with all the labs having 2 weeks (ie 2 lab periods) slotted for them. For 2 of the labs, you will have to write a formal lab report. These are much more formal than in other biology classes - you have to format them EXACTLY as if they were published as a Letter to Nature. Same font, same font sizes, same style of writing & content, same everything, However, I found this to be a GOOD thing. They don't really have to be overly long, and having that level of detail makes it very easy to do well. There's no second-guessing how you're supposed to format or order the contents of your lab (my #1 pet peeve with practically all other bio labs). Generally if there's a formal lab due, you'll also have no lab for a week to give you time to write it.

For the non-formal labs, generally you will only have to hand in a diagram, or a small write-up that you finish at home. Not hard if you know your way around Excel. Your lab book is also graded at the end of the term, and you get an evuation (not worth marks) halfway through the term. I definitely suggest you be THOROUGH in your note-writing for your labs. Document every and all possible sources of error for your experiments (those minor details escape you when you're writing your labs!). Take lots of pictures and include them in your book as well, and make sure to label those pictures in your bool.

Luckily, the TA's for this class are the best I've ever had! Very friendly, and very helpful.

Class will cover the basic elements of experimental design as well as the process of publishing a paper. In the weeks of a new lab topic, there will almost always be a guest lecturer to introduce the theory behind the labs. These guest lecturers will also be present in your lab periods to help guide the labs.

Dr. Jacobs definitely tries to push you to think critically, and since it's a relatively small class he definitely tries to engage students. He often will give candy to people that participate in class :p To be honest, I slept through most of the classes, but in the end it's alright because you're never really tested on what's going in inside the classes at any detailed level; it's all being applied and used in the labs anyways.

So, I slept through most classes, and sadly I did most of my lab write-ups at 3am the day before they were do, but I still managed a 12. I strongly recommend you work on the labs a little bit here and there throughout the week as opposed to my approach - the lack of sleep and abuse of my schedule definitely cut into time for my other classes :p Overall though, a very reasonable and enjoyable course!

Last edited by Freak705 : 06-07-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Dopematic, MirandaC, pavlov, Purple2309 all say thanks to Freak705 for this post.

Purple2309, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 01:54 PM   #41
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I was wondering, who do I contact if I wanted to overload in one of the terms?

@Freak 705- Ah, you're making me wish I took the course last year :(. Also, can you please copy your post as a review for Bio 2L03, if you'd like to of course
Old 06-07-2011 at 01:58 PM   #42
Freak705
Elite Member

Hmm, that could be a good idea. I kind of started writing and then before I knew it I guess I have written quite a comprehensive review.. lol.

Take 2L03 as an elective! There's still time haha

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 06-07-2011 at 02:02 PM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
Hmm, that could be a good idea. I kind of started writing and then before I knew it I guess I have written quite a comprehensive review.. lol.

Take 2L03 as an elective! There's still time haha
Haha, yeah it actually gave me a really thorough idea of the course. That's why it'd be such an awesome + helpful review
Old 06-07-2011 at 05:52 PM   #44
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I was wondering, who do I contact if I wanted to overload in one of the terms?

@Freak 705- Ah, you're making me wish I took the course last year :(. Also, can you please copy your post as a review for Bio 2L03, if you'd like to of course
Probably the Associate Dean's Office.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-07-2011 at 08:32 PM   #45
Purple2309

Liked: 17 Times

Hi guys
I'd really appreciate it if one or more of you kind upper years, give me feedback on my schedule.
If this helps, i'm going to be living on residence next year and I am going into Honours Biology.
My current back ups are: Physics 1b03, English 1a03, Philos2d03, Biology 2f03.
Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SCHEDULE3.pdf (105.5 KB, 73 views)