MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010 Chad Academics 237 09-07-2011 10:40 PM
first thread of 2011 Juve General Discussion 6 01-01-2011 12:32 PM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/2011 Master Course Timetable danallan Academics 6 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Timetable Checking and Help Thread 2011

Old 06-09-2011 at 01:02 PM   #61
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBatt View Post
Suppose i took 5 full year courses, which would bring my total units to 30. suppose i wanted to add one or two 3 unit courses - would i be allowed? would that be a heavy course load?
I believe if you have a GPA of over 7.0 you're allowed to overload. Oh and just contact your associate dean's office. I sent an email with my student number and request to overload, and got the permission the next day . I'm doing it next year, and while I've heard all the warning against doing it, I'd actually like to try it myself and not let others deter me from going for it. But it's important to balance your workload, with both terms so that you don't burn out!

AlexBatt says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-09-2011 at 01:46 PM   #62
Rail24

Liked: 0 Times

In software eng game design, any idea if I should be following the 2011-2012 year III courses (based on the reasoning that my previous classes are the prereqs for those) or the 2012-2013 year III courses?
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:44 PM   #63
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail24 View Post
In software eng game design, any idea if I should be following the 2011-2012 year III courses (based on the reasoning that my previous classes are the prereqs for those) or the 2012-2013 year III courses?
Are you referring to the 2 different undergrad calendars on the website? 2010/2011 and 2011/2012?
Old 06-09-2011 at 02:57 PM   #64
Rail24

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Are you referring to the 2 different undergrad calendars on the website? 2010/2011 and 2011/2012?
Oops, yep those two. The two links :

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1235.html

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1235.html
Old 06-09-2011 at 03:04 PM   #65
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

Okay, I'm a bit confused with this whole "required" label when it comes to second year.

This is what the undergrad calendar says:

Quote:
  1. BIOLOGY 2B03, 2C03 and 2EE3 must be completed in Level II.
  2. Six units of BIOLOGY 2A03, 2D03, 2F03, 3FF3 are required. However, completion of 9-12 units is recommended.
  3. Completion of STATS 2B03 by the end of Level III is recommended. If STATS 1CC3 has been completed, these units will be taken as electives.
  4. BIOLOGY 2L03, MOL BIOL 3A03 and 3I03 are recommended as preparatory courses for BIOLOGY 4C09 or 4F06.
Now I know the first three in [1.] are considered "required", i.e. mandatory for Level II. But when it comes to [2.], say one of the courses I want is full... if I contact the department, will they make an allowance for me on the grounds of the course being "required", or will I be forced to take up a course that still has seats. (This is assuming the desired, full course fits in with the rest of my schedule).

I have the same question about [4.], where the seats are quite limited, and I suppose it is a pre-req for a third year course that is "required".

Also: backups. How do you choose them?
I'm planning on minoring in Linguistics, but I am afraid the two courses I want will be full. What if the others don't fit into my schedule? I know sectioning isn't until August but...

Also, do Chem 2OA3/2OB3 fill up pretty quick? They are required, and I suppose they can be taken in Level III, but I wanted to get them done with this year. I don't think I'll be able to do them over the summer as I am an International student, and in order to maintain my Visa status, I need to return home every six months.

FML.
Old 06-09-2011 at 03:27 PM   #66
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor View Post
Okay, I'm a bit confused with this whole "required" label when it comes to second year.

This is what the undergrad calendar says:
[/list]Now I know the first three in [1.] are considered "required", i.e. mandatory for Level II. But when it comes to [2.], say one of the courses I want is full... if I contact the department, will they make an allowance for me on the grounds of the course being "required", or will I be forced to take up a course that still has seats. (This is assuming the desired, full course fits in with the rest of my schedule).

I have the same question about [4.], where the seats are quite limited, and I suppose it is a pre-req for a third year course that is "required".

Also: backups. How do you choose them?
I'm planning on minoring in Linguistics, but I am afraid the two courses I want will be full. What if the others don't fit into my schedule? I know sectioning isn't until August but...

Also, do Chem 2OA3/2OB3 fill up pretty quick? They are required, and I suppose they can be taken in Level III, but I wanted to get them done with this year. I don't think I'll be able to do them over the summer as I am an International student, and in order to maintain my Visa status, I need to return home every six months.

FML.
They probably won't open a seat if the other courses still have seats.

Those courses are not required as prerequisites for the 4th year thesis/project courses. They are just recommended to be taken. So you don't actually have to take them.

There are so many courses at McMaster. First make a schedule with all the courses you want to take. Then find back ups by going through the undergraduate calendar (by the way, use the 2011-12 calendar: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/2011-12/ ) and the master timetable. If you plan on minoring you can try to contact the linguistics department and explain your situation.

Should be open, it's a very large course. If it's not just contact the chemistry department.

BVictor says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-09-2011 at 06:37 PM   #67
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail24 View Post
If you're going into third year in the fall, then follow the 2011/2012 calendar. Also, if you go to Degree Audit (under Academics in MUGSI), it'll tell you the exact requirements for your degree if you're still unsure.

Rail24 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-12-2011 at 10:12 PM   #68
musicislife

Liked: 10 Times

Hey! I'm going into second year biochem/biotech and I was hoping someone could take a look at my timetable
Attached Files
File Type: doc sched2011.doc (48.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-12-2011 at 10:46 PM   #69
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
Hey! I'm going into second year biochem/biotech and I was hoping someone could take a look at my timetable
If I were you I would definitely want the CHEM 2OA3 lab on Monday to avoid that 4 hour break.

That's just my opinion though. I really hate having breaks that long. I'd take one late day over two.

EDIT: Even moving it to Thursday might be better, would give you a short day on Tuesday.

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 06-12-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2011 at 08:21 PM   #70
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
It's not bad, but not the greatest either :(. However, I know all of your classes probably have just 1 core, so there's no way around that... Anyway, I agree with the above post to move your lab to Thurs, that way at least you'll have 1 easy day where you also finish early (Tues). I know that would make Thurs really long, but it's not too bad since you start later. Also, did you consider the other core for French 2BB3? That's also an alternative. Overall though 2nd term looks pretty good
Old 06-13-2011 at 09:58 PM   #71
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Would it be better to take a harder course and avoid running all day to classes, or take the easier course and run to classes all day? :/

I'm torn between taking Bio 2A03 and Bio 2B03 in my second term. The latter is in TSH and I have classes before/after it EVERY single day I have it, and it's running all the way from TSH to ITB/MDCL/JHE etc., and I hate being late for classes. Bio 2A03 fits in neatly without much problem. So idk. Help?
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:05 PM   #72
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Would it be better to take a harder course and avoid running all day to classes, or take the easier course and run to classes all day? :/

I'm torn between taking Bio 2A03 and Bio 2B03 in my second term. The latter is in TSH and I have classes before/after it EVERY single day I have it, and it's running all the way from TSH to ITB/MDCL/JHE etc., and I hate being late for classes. Bio 2A03 fits in neatly without much problem. So idk. Help?
TSH to MDCL or JHE isn't that far... ITB on the other hand is quite far and would probably require lots of speed walking. It's really your decision in the end and you should consider what courses you want to do next year.

Faer says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:11 PM   #73
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:

Definitely go with 2A03, and not just because TSH-> ITB is impossible but because 2B03 is offered in the summer and has been for the past 2 years at least. However, 2A03 is not. Also, look into 3rd yr courses and what their pre-reqs are.

Faer says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 06-13-2011 at 10:23 PM   #74
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I looked into some courses for the third and they didn't seem to list any pre-reqs. :/ I guess I'll check again...I'm just really dreading Bio labs. -.-
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:30 AM   #75
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I looked into some courses for the third and they didn't seem to list any pre-reqs. :/ I guess I'll check again...I'm just really dreading Bio labs. -.-
Are you sure you're looking here: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...12/pg1757.html ?
For e.g. Bio 3P03, 3U03 and 3UU3 require Bio 2A03 in contrast to Bio 3AA3, 3B03 which require Bio 2B03. That's what I meant . Bio 2A03 labs weren't that bad, they were boring if anything, also it depends a HUGE deal on your TA, so don't hate them before you've even started

Faer says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.