MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
Need student willing to answer some questions via email about commuting lorend Automotive & Transportation 1 07-20-2010 03:17 PM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Anyone commuting from Milton? Alchemist11 General Discussion 10 08-18-2009 03:32 PM
I question if im an engineering student..I have a nice timetable? kenvin100 Academics 4 08-10-2008 07:57 PM

Timetable for a commuting student

Old 08-14-2008 at 01:24 AM   #1
khaotic

Liked: 18 Times

Timetable for a commuting student
So I'm taking first year Engineering and I plan to commute by train/bus from Oakville to McMaster everyday. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on changing my timetable to make it as suitable to my situation as possible.

Term 1: http://i35.tinypic.com/dp780y.png
Term 2: http://i33.tinypic.com/8w9uf6.png

I also have a Econ class code(1BB3) that is currently in conflict.

Last edited by khaotic : 08-14-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:52 PM   #2
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

i'll also be commuting to trafalgar next year! i was in engineering last year and
honestly, you can't do anything in those one hour breaks. they are so annoying and end up being such a waste of time. try to get like 3/4 classes together so you can go home earlier.

commuting might be hard. you'll spend a lot of time just commuting, you might want to consider living in residence in your first year so you can first get used to things...
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:04 PM   #3
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

i strongly suggest you try living off campus. Engineering students have the greatest workload and commuting just gets in the way. I commuted first year, i will never do it again
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:30 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, commuting, while it saves money, is a huge waste of time. Makes your days seem extra long and cuts on your homework time.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:01 PM   #5
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times

Yeah, I've commuted since first year, and it sucks...especially when it's blizzarding out. Plus, you'll live in the library or the student center if you don't have anywhere else to go during the day, which gets really boring really fast

Anyways, I would try to avoid 8:30 classes if at all possible because you'll have to leave a lot earlier to get there on time (random traffic jams suck), but since you're commuting train/bus, you'll have a set time? I also don't like night classes because you have to stay so late...
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:11 PM   #6
stressedspec
Account Locked

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
Yeah, I've commuted since first year, and it sucks...especially when it's blizzarding out. Plus, you'll live in the library or the student center if you don't have anywhere else to go during the day, which gets really boring really fast

Anyways, I would try to avoid 8:30 classes if at all possible because you'll have to leave a lot earlier to get there on time (random traffic jams suck), but since you're commuting train/bus, you'll have a set time? I also don't like night classes because you have to stay so late...
definitely avoid 830 labs i dreaded them i missed too of them due too traffic
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:17 PM   #7
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

1. Never Do Labs in the Morning in Engineering
  2. Avoid as many 8:30 classes in the morning if you choose to commute, as timing will be demanding and you will soon learn that you will be getting little sleep
  3. If at all possible, attempting to live on campus will save your life. Regardless of where you live, you will always be screwed over by commute. I lost 2 hours at least everyday in my first year. Financially sound from the get go, but your marks may (or rather, possibly will) suffer unless you're on top of your A-Game.
Seriously, It may sound daunting, but you'll come to like engineering if you've got the right mindset. Welcome to McMaster Engineer I.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:31 PM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

I don't think I'd like university very much if I had to commute.
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:37 AM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Commuting from oakville isnt that bad, takes about 45mins by train/bus, or 30mins from carpool. But either way, living was a good experience, but really, if your ready to commute, who cares?

Anyways as for your schedule, look at the master timetable and pick cores that are back to back. Have your labs in the afternoon if you can, since morning labs (esp for physics) SUCK. It was horrible.

Try to fiddle around your schedule and post an updated one so we can help you further.
Old 07-01-2009 at 01:14 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I don't think I'd like university very much if I had to commute.
My cousin's cousin commuted from Mississauga to Mac and hated it. She transferred to UTM because the commute was far less, which made completing school work, getting their on time etc much easier for her.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-01-2009 at 01:58 PM   #11
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
My cousin's cousin commuted from Mississauga to Mac and hated it. She transferred to UTM because the commute was far less, which made completing school work, getting their on time etc much easier for her.
Exactly.
Old 07-01-2009 at 02:51 PM   #12
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

Personally, my friends and I commuted from Burlington. Oakville is not that far off and the train/bus ride is nothing compared to those that commute from Toronto and areas around it. I'm sure that the time wasted commuting, could be equally wasted if you are on rez and don't keep track of time during the day.
The only thing I would recommend is that whatever your timetable you keep disciplined and for example if you have two 2hour breaks in the day, don't waste it doing nothing. (this comes from experience...lol). I have had days where I had a 6 hour break and you just have to treat that as your study time and then when you get to go home, you get a break and do whatever. I'm not trying to say you can't have time to hang out with friends, just keep track of time .

Salima- Second year Molecular Bio and Genetics
Old 07-01-2009 at 03:37 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I commute from mississauga but unlike you (OP), my timetable was a bit more flexible. Anyways, I prefer having classes together and I also like 8:30 classes if it means my day ends in the early afternoon. However, 8:30 classes mean you wake up at an ungodly hour (6:30 AM if I'm lazy or 6:00 if I want to properly get ready, and much earlier if I don't have a ride to square one). It can suck if you are on campus til like 4:30 or later too, so in that case 10:30 is pretty good time to start.
Old 07-01-2009 at 10:03 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Salima- Second year Molecular Bio and Genetics
Totally off top topic, but yay for Molecular Bio and Genetics! See you in class XD
Old 07-01-2009 at 11:41 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

While I personally didn't commute this year, being in SOCS (Society of Off Campus Students) exposed me to a lot of people in your situation. And it is definitely doable. I know at least one first year engineer who commuted from Oakville, and some who commuted from further.

It really all comes down to how you manage your time, you're the only one who knows how many hours of work it takes you to get the good marks. I budgeted my time terribly last year, and barely did any work between classes. Which meant much more work at home. >.<

As far as your timetable, aside from trying to keep small amounts of spaces between classes, there isn't much you can do.

But if you do decide to commute or live off campus, make sure to come out to get involved with SOCS! You'll meet plenty of people who commute and who'll have plenty of helpful tips.