MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost wallet...freaking out DDD: Moo!io General Discussion 36 03-22-2010 01:52 PM
Jon Montgomery is the FREAKING MAN lawleypop General Discussion 8 02-22-2010 04:56 PM
I don't freaking believe this. smiles Residence & Housing 15 01-19-2010 08:46 PM
Enrolling with conflicts in your timetable. j.luong First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-31-2009 10:30 PM
Timetable conflicts? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-13-2009 11:11 AM

Timetable Conflicts, freaking out

Old 08-07-2008 at 12:02 AM   #1
orcymorky

Liked: 0 Times

Timetable Conflicts, freaking out
Well the timetables are up, and i have conflicts, despite the fact that my selections on SOLAR were verified as OK and that it is 100% possible to take the courses I selected based on the timetable I made from the master timetable site, just at different times than those listed on the timetable I just got. But SOLAR is closed and won't let me change when my lectures and labs are.

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?
Old 08-07-2008 at 12:20 AM   #2
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

First of all, don't freak out. SOLAR will re-open on Monday if all of your fees are cleared.

Secondly, what is not fitting? Is it two core classes, or are one or both of them labs/tutorials? A lot of the time SOLAR says that there are no conflicts, because it's just basing it on the core times, not the labs or tutorials. If that is the case, look to see if there are other lab or tutorial times available which you can switch to when it re-opens. If none of them are available, you can always wait until school starts and tell the course director, who can switch you into a different lab or tutorial.

If the problem is with two core classes, I don't know why SOLAR wouldn't recognize that as a conflict. Nevertheless, if that's the case, check to see if there's another core class available when SOLAR re-opens. You can always switch, there's no penalties. If there are, but none are available, just ask the course director again when school starts. If there are no multiple core classes for either of them, then you need to drop one and take another class that will fit. It is technically possible to take a two courses at the same time if classes are not mandatory, but I would highly suggest against doing that.

If I have not covered the situation let me know. Don't worry, this isn't as bad as last year when the university let me know the day before school began that one of my courses had been cancelled.
Old 08-07-2008 at 12:36 AM   #3
orcymorky

I have a core conflict in first semester (physics 1B03 and HTH SCI 1I06), and a lab conflict in second(physics 1BB3 and hthsci 1I06 again). However, fixing the core conflict in first would require shifting around another course as well (only one option for hthsci 1I06)

Hopefully all will work out. Nice to know we can fix this potentially....
Old 08-07-2008 at 12:44 AM   #4
mitch
Elite Member

Yeah, that's not a big issue. When SOLAR re-opens, try to swith Physics 1B03 to C01 and Physics 1BB3 to to L01. If you can't then just let the professor or whoever runs the labs to switch you. They shouldn't mind. You can asked to be switch to C01 as well, but I know many people that just went to different core class times anyway even though they were not scheduled in them. On the other hand, if there are not enough seats, then you probably will have to ask them to switch you in.
Old 08-07-2008 at 06:58 AM   #5
iki_31
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

how do i find my timetable !!!?????????????????? ????
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:12 AM   #6
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

I just checked my timetable and its empty, I have to select all the cores , labs and tutorials :S !
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:14 AM   #7
zaidyusufani
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iki_31 View Post
how do i find my timetable !!!?????????????????? ????
go to ( https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm ) and select (Undergraduate Personal Timetables ) on the left.
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:14 AM   #8
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

When you get to the MUGSI site: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /cis/ahtml/login.htm (i.e. the "front" page)

Go to the very left bar where it says "Student Applications"

2nd option on the list "Undergraduate Personal Timetables.

P.S. SOLAR is currently closed until August 11th. So if you need to make changes, you'll have to wait it out like everyone else .
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:32 AM   #9
amit

yeah i got the same problem.. one of my courses is in conflict with another.. and one tutorial conflicting with another course. i know solar reopens monday but when I am switching around the times can i lose my seat in the course?

also, what does EOW stand for?

Last edited by amit : 08-07-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:35 AM   #10
nh999
Elite Member

You'll be able to see whether a tutorial/lecture/lab has an open seat before you actually choose whether or not to register into it. But if at any time you drop a tutorial/lecture/lab you will lose your seat. Note: this does not necessarily mean someone will steal your seat, but there is that risk.

I recommend, if you can, to check the open seats first before dropping your current seats.

PS EOW = every other week

Last edited by nh999 : 08-07-2008 at 07:40 AM.

daisy says thanks to nh999 for this post.
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:46 AM   #11
iki_31
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

BIOLOGY 1M03 L26

BIOLOGY 1M03 T26

wats the difference? wat is t and l???
Old 08-07-2008 at 07:51 AM   #12
nh999
Elite Member

L = lab
T = tutorial

If things haven't changed in the past few years, you should have them EOW, alternating with each other. i.e. You will have a lab one week, tutorial the next, lab the following week, etc. etc.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:02 AM   #13
mitch
Elite Member

Remeber, you need to choose one lab time (L) and one tutorial time (T). use a timetable scheduler document like THIS to make sure that all your classes, labs, and tutorial times you chose fit without overlap. SOLAR does not usually tell you if you have conflicts with labs and tutorial times.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:07 AM   #14
nh999
Elite Member

Yup, remember to check your conflicts between those too.

But I think, in the case of Bio 1M03 (and 1A03...and maybe some other courses too...), your lab # is the same as your tutorial #. So everyone in your lab will be in your tutorial, and you don't have to worry about lab/tutorial conflicts.
Old 08-07-2008 at 08:38 AM   #15
dah-legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh999 View Post
L = lab
T = tutorial

If things haven't changed in the past few years, you should have them EOW, alternating with each other. i.e. You will have a lab one week, tutorial the next, lab the following week, etc. etc.
On my timetable term two for Bio 1AO3 I have T48 and L48 and they are EOW but both the lab and tutorial are in the same time. Are you sure I will have lab one week and the tutorial another week?