Academic Letter of Reference cowpuppy Academics 13 01-23-2010 09:02 AM
Top 10 Tips for Academic Success Saleha Academics 2 10-17-2009 06:00 PM

Tips on getting an academic reference

Old 04-06-2011 at 10:41 PM   #1
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Tips on getting an academic reference
I know there are some similar threads but they've been closed.

I need letters of reference from professors next year to apply to grad schools.

Any tips?
Old 04-06-2011 at 11:25 PM   #2
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I've managed to get letters from a prof which I did some summer work in... and one from an instructional assistant.

Are there any profs that know you by name? If not, you will want to make some effort into trying now! You really want to stand out from the others, so think about going to profs' office hours, talk to them after class, volunteer in their lab and if they monitor discussion boards make sure you contribute (I know this was how I got a TA position!). Most profs are more than happy to help you out. I recently applied for some scholarships at U of T and my prof (where I worked in his lab over 3 years ago) was more than willing to help out. So just ask... it doesn't hurt!!
Old 04-07-2011 at 11:12 AM   #3
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Thanks, I dont really have a chance to volunteer with any of them, they dont seem to need the extra hands. I have been making a point to ask questions after class but not enough that they know my name. They'd likely recognize me though.

How did you go about asking for the reference, in person or via email?
Old 04-07-2011 at 12:44 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why exactly would they give you a reference? Because you ask questions?

If you're asking these questions, you're not reference material. Befrieeenddd professsorrss
Old 04-07-2011 at 02:22 PM   #5
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

I dont really ask clarification questions but more along the lines of applying the concepts in other ways, they tend to like it as it shows im not just sitting there passively taking in the information. I do actualyl genuinely want to know these answers most of the time. But either way they start to recognize me , thats if anything better than nothing at all.
Old 04-07-2011 at 02:43 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
..But either way they start to recognize me , thats if anything better than nothing at all.
Yup, and thats great, but do you really think grad school is for you if you're still essentially an anonymous person though? Thats essentially what the references are for.. they want people who stand out for good reason, not people looking for references just because they're a requirement.
Old 04-07-2011 at 02:56 PM   #7
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Yup, and thats great, but do you really think grad school is for you if you're still essentially an anonymous person though? Thats essentially what the references are for.. they want people who stand out for good reason, not people looking for references just because they're a requirement.
Well I can keep trying to get to know my profs more personally maybe volunteer spots will open up during the year. Im trying and have I been trying for a while to get into such positions i figure thats better than those students that dont at all and just expect a letter.

About an hour a go I just found out that a program ive been volunteering with for the past 3 years on campus might be an option, it is overseen by a professor although she never interacts with the volunteers so much. But shes apparently very open to writing a ref if you are a consistent volunteer, plus she can access my grades. So theres an opportunity.

But never mind all this with my personal situation of getting one or not, any tips on going about it like email, in person , how far in advance etc?
Old 04-07-2011 at 05:47 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Why exactly would they give you a reference? Because you ask questions?

If you're asking these questions, you're not reference material. Befrieeenddd professsorrss
When I say ask profs questions, you shouldn't be asking silly questions. They should be insightful and show genuine interest in the course. It's hard to ask good questions and/or ask for clarification on content if you aren't paying attention in class or keeping up with the work. Therefore when you do, profs may perceive that as being motivated and showing initiative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
Well I can keep trying to get to know my profs more personally maybe volunteer spots will open up during the year. Im trying and have I been trying for a while to get into such positions i figure thats better than those students that dont at all and just expect a letter.

About an hour a go I just found out that a program ive been volunteering with for the past 3 years on campus might be an option, it is overseen by a professor although she never interacts with the volunteers so much. But shes apparently very open to writing a ref if you are a consistent volunteer, plus she can access my grades. So theres an opportunity.

But never mind all this with my personal situation of getting one or not, any tips on going about it like email, in person , how far in advance etc?
I would give a prof a month or more in advance. The more time the better b/c they are busy people too! Just remember these letters are dated, so you can always keep them and use them later I'm collecting some this year for next year! Profs may ask for additional things to help them write, including knowing specifically what the letter is for, a resume and/or a transcript.

If you don't know your prof well, I would recommend you go in person. You'll get immediate feedback and there's a name to the face. If you know them well enough, you could e-mail them (I tend to do this b/c I'm busy or not around) but in person is always better!

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 04-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2011 at 06:25 PM   #9
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Q. View Post
When I say ask profs questions, you shouldn't be asking silly questions. They should be insightful and show genuine interest in the course. It's hard to ask good questions and/or ask for clarification on content if you aren't paying attention in class or keeping up with the work. Therefore when you do, profs may perceive that as being motivated and showing initiative!

I would give a prof a month or more in advance. The more time the better b/c they are busy people too! Just remember these letters are dated, so you can always keep them and use them later I'm collecting some this year for next year! Profs may ask for additional things to help them write, including knowing specifically what the letter is for, a resume and/or a transcript.

If you don't know your prof well, I would recommend you go in person. You'll get immediate feedback and there's a name to the face. If you know them well enough, you could e-mail them (I tend to do this b/c I'm busy or not around) but in person is always better!

Thanks!

I dont know about getting mine done early.. its for ORPAS.. and the form that a reference person needs to fill out along with a letter needs to be sent directly to the application centre by the prof/reference person so Ill never have it in my hands.