MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-listed Course mizzshell Academics 3 08-09-2010 12:08 PM
Cross Listed Course Name Patrick.O Academics 4 07-23-2010 12:38 PM
Cross-listed courses LBJ.MVP First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-18-2009 09:27 PM
cross-listed course muns2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 07-17-2009 01:17 AM

Titles and Mugsi not listed on Google

Old 01-26-2010 at 10:01 PM   #1
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Titles and Mugsi not listed on Google
Has anyone ever noticed that for some reason Titles has not had a direct link form Google search? I search "mcmaster titles" and the actual titles official website is not in the search results; only other related sistes that may or may not link to titles.

I used to always get to mugsi this way....I'd just type "mugsi mcmaster" into Google, and it would be the first link to pop up. Now, however, the direct link to mugsi has been removed the Google search results as well.

For someone who uses Google to get to pretty much all of my frequently visited sites, I find this pretty annoying. Anyone else notice this?
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:04 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

MUGSI still comes up as the first option for me when I search, but the bookstore has never, ever come up when I've looked for it.

And yes, it is super annoying.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-26-2010 at 10:13 PM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Showed up for me...http://www.twitpic.com/zy9ql
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:16 PM   #4
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Showed up for me under: Titles Mcmaster on Google.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:38 PM   #5
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

FYI - for those who don't know, when you're on MacConnect (or if you've configured your computer to do so from anywhere..) you can just type the subdomain to get to the various pages.

i.e.

mugsi
titles
msu
hospitality
muss
univmail

etc.

lawleypop says thanks to DavidR for this post.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:43 PM   #6
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that for some reason Titles has not had a direct link form Google search? I search "mcmaster titles" and the actual titles official website is not in the search results; only other related sistes that may or may not link to titles.

I used to always get to mugsi this way....I'd just type "mugsi mcmaster" into Google, and it would be the first link to pop up. Now, however, the direct link to mugsi has been removed the Google search results as well.

For someone who uses Google to get to pretty much all of my frequently visited sites, I find this pretty annoying. Anyone else notice this?
I have this really nifty trick I use. Instead of typing www.google.ca in the address bar, and searching "mugsi mcmaster" I just type this in the address bar:

mugsi.mcmaster.ca

Amazingly, it works with Titles too!

But also, it's coming up for me on google...

crazyfree, Entropy like this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:47 PM   #7
Parnian

Liked: 13 Times

Google gives me a direct link to Mugsi (first result), but it does not give me a link to the Titles Bookstore even if I type in "Titles McMaster". It's always been annoying, as I have to go here http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...07/sec_921.htm and then click on http://titles.mcmaster.ca

Then again... it would be easier if I just memorized the titles.mcmaster.ca haha. I have memorized mugsi.mcmaster.ca so it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 01-26-2010 at 10:52 PM   #8
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

If I just type "titles" and "mugsi" without the quotations into the address bar and hit enter, my browser automatically redirects me to the correct sites automatically, not sure if that will work for everybody though.
Old 01-27-2010 at 01:01 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
I have this really nifty trick I use. Instead of typing www.google.ca in the address bar, and searching "mugsi mcmaster" I just type this in the address bar:

mugsi.mcmaster.ca

Amazingly, it works with Titles too!

But also, it's coming up for me on google...
I have this other trick.

Instead of typing the URL into the address bar everytime I want to visit a site, the first time I go there I click bookmark this page. Then every other time I want to visit I just click Titles under Bookmarks and voila, I go to the Titles page.

Its like magic.

sniderj, xo.monica like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:22 PM   #10
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I have this other trick.

Instead of typing the URL into the address bar everytime I want to visit a site, the first time I go there I click bookmark this page. Then every other time I want to visit I just click Titles under Bookmarks and voila, I go to the Titles page.

Its like magic.
Oh god, that would never work for me. Lmao.
I should screenshot my browser.

My entire top bar is filled with shit I go to daily and I can't fit another one, haha.
And I've got EASILY over a 1000 bookmarks (I can actually scroll in my Bookmarks section for over 5 minutes) XD

Edit: "mugsi mcmaster" works for me if I type it into google. It doesn't take me to "mugsi.mcmaster.c a" but it takes me to the portal. Same thing, right?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-27-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 05:54 PM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I have this other trick.

Its like magic.
I was gonna go further by saying you could set it as a homepage, but then I realize how much of a tool someone would be by doing that. >_>

lawleypop, sew12, xo.monica like this.