Torrents DonJuan General Discussion 11 09-17-2010 05:16 PM
Torrents tatski-p Computers & Tech 39 07-17-2010 05:52 PM
Torrents on campus MrSmith General Discussion 7 09-23-2009 03:28 PM

Torrents :O

Old 07-30-2008 at 10:52 PM   #1
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

Torrents :O
Right now I'm using bit torrent (I don't know it that's what it's called, but it's the one with the "micro" symbol as the logo...think "u"torrent) and limewire is now compatible with torrents? But I was wondering what programs were better? I mean, is there anything that uses less bandwidth!?!?! My internet is terribly slow. DSL (N)
Old 07-31-2008 at 12:06 AM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by __lexington View Post
Right now I'm using bit torrent (I don't know it that's what it's called, but it's the one with the "micro" symbol as the logo...think "u"torrent) and limewire is now compatible with torrents? But I was wondering what programs were better? I mean, is there anything that uses less bandwidth!?!?! My internet is terribly slow. DSL (N)
i use U torrent too!! i havent had any problems with it so far... ive know some people who use bitcomet, im not sure how good it is though.
Old 07-31-2008 at 01:28 AM   #3
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

I've used Bittornado, BitLord, μtorrent, BitComet, Vuze (when it was known as azureus) and the really oldschool Bittorrent client (called shadow experimental or something like that) and I'd have to say that μtorrent is definetely the best. It has a nice and simple GUI and uses the least amount of CPU. BitComet is good for movie files since it has a neat preview feature.

I think nowadays, the bittorent client doesn't matter as much your internet configurations (i.e. port forwarding). Some ISPs like Rogers throttle torrent downloads and/or uploads, and the client you use is unfortunately irrelevant in getting better performance.

Old 07-31-2008 at 09:23 AM   #4
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

That's true, kenneth, but if you use vuze (azureus), it has a feature called encryption protocol, which masks the downloading files so rogers doesn't throttle them. it sped my downloads up big-time!
Old 07-31-2008 at 03:19 PM   #5
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You can adjust how much bandwidth a torrent client uses. I use uTorrent as well and all you have to do is set the download and upload speeds.
Old 07-31-2008 at 10:48 PM   #6
__lexington

Waaaahhh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
You can adjust how much bandwidth a torrent client uses. I use uTorrent as well and all you have to do is set the download and upload speeds.
Please put that into n00b speak. I know what you mean...but I have no idea what speed it should be at. I want faster downloads...but I also want my damn band width back!!!!!

It seems however...that in order to do that...I need to get off of sympatico highspeed. This is not up to me :(.
Old 07-31-2008 at 11:16 PM   #7
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

I'm using Utorrent as well. I'm not sure if you're using a router, but if you are you shoud portforward it to get a better connection. So if you are using a routher, follow these instructions: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm

Now, for utorrent (which I find is the best one) you should go to Options then Preferences then Connection. Set your maximum upload rate to 0. This will allow unlimited people to upload from you. Since Utorrent is a sharing network, the more people that upload from you, the faster your download goes. However, if your computer starts getting too slow due to traffic, you can customize the amount of uploaders you want. Secondly, I would set maximum download rate to 0 as well. This will allow you to download many copies of the file from many different people. Same issue applies though. In addition to that, I always max out the 3 values in the "Bittorent" section of Preferences and the two values in the "Queueing" section. To do that I set them to 999. Again, this will make your Utorrent download faster, but might make your computer run slower.

If you want to use the recommended settings though, go to Options, then Speed Guide. Run the Speed Test and check what value you get for your UPLOAD rate (not download rate). Choose the closest number to that value in Connection Type in the Speed Guide.

Sorry for the story-long instructions. Hope it helps. And if you come to Mac, you don't have to worry about torrents at all! DC++ lets you download movies in seconds!

__lexington says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:11 AM   #8
__lexington

Why thank you Mitch.
Hahahaha, I'll see if I can decipher all that
DC++ yay yay yay....but for now I have to work with what I've got *grumble*

-------web site too complicated! :$

Last edited by __lexington : 08-01-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: ugh...n00b.
Old 08-01-2008 at 08:08 AM   #9
mitch
Elite Member

Your welcome _lexington,

If you are having any more issues don't hesitate to ask
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:34 PM   #10
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Torrents have always been funky for me. Regardless of Seeds and Leechers they just...act funny. In rez they downloaded strangely, and in my new house sometimes it takes a few hours, sometimes days. And i have the best cogeco connection you can get. Not to mention they can come loaded with viruses....Boo torrents...Go DC++
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:45 PM   #11
mitch
Elite Member

Torrents will never download as fast as your normal downloads straight from the internet to your computer. That's because it also depends on how many seeders there are that have the exact parts you need, and how fast their internet connections are. The best I get is being able to download full length films in about half a day. That's quite fast, but when you've tried DC you just want it to download immediately! we're very spoiled

Last edited by mitch : 08-01-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:49 PM   #12
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

It's so true...my life will kind of never be the same...haha. If we all had DC++ there'd be no wars. Just love.
Old 08-02-2008 at 12:31 AM   #13
__lexington

Hahaha no war with DC++...thank you, oh higher powers, for the internets!

Um...so what is this DC? I've only heard of it through you crazy uni. kids!
Old 08-02-2008 at 08:43 AM   #14
mitch
Elite Member

It's a sharing program with created groups that allow specific people to use it. A guy on my floor in my rez during my first year thought of the idea and created it back in '05. We have a Mcmaster hub group so that only people on campus with a direct internet connection are able to use it. There are usually around 500-1000 students registered on it, which is a very small number compared to most sharing programs like limewire with millions. So the download and upload speed is extremely fast. There is usually always someone that has what you are looking for. Most movies, songs, and a lot of other stuff like games and programs are all there. The total amount of space of items on DC last year was way over 1 Tb, that's 1000 Gb. And of course there's a substantial amount of adult material. I'm not sure who's going to keep it going if the guy who runs it graduates and leaves after next year. I enjoy that when a new tv show airs and I miss it, it will be on DC in around 2 days or so.
Old 08-02-2008 at 10:36 PM   #15
__lexington

Uh-oh...

Is that procrastination I see in my future?