MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labs of Math 1ZA3 Total BS Commander First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 10-07-2010 01:06 PM
Business I - Textbook Costs revenant First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-14-2010 10:54 PM
How many 1st year classes am I allowed to take in total? leah.d Academics 1 06-03-2010 06:47 PM
Total Cost For 1 Summer School Course? Class available after 4pm? ashleychin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 03-27-2010 02:30 AM
Summer School Costs johnaa Academics 2 03-11-2009 06:51 AM

Total Costs 2009

Old 06-16-2009 at 01:41 PM   #1
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

Total Costs 2009
okay question. on the registrars website, student fees for this year are outlined. If I'm reading the document correctly ( which, let's face it, i may not be...) it looks as though for thirty units (full course load) for a third year humanities student tution will be $5679.57. It doesn't say whether or not this includes the $800 ish dollars for suplimentary fees. Does anyone know for sure if this tuition cost includes the sup fees? I really hope so...
Old 06-16-2009 at 01:49 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Yes, it does include the 800$ worth of supplementary fees. I use this pdf to calculate costs:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/student/p...s_included.pdf

I added up the tuition fees and the supplementary fees and got exactly 5769.57$ Neato!

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-16-2009 at 01:51 PM.

janeller says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-16-2009 at 01:52 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Apparently tuition went up quite a bit this year then...shit.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-16-2009 at 01:55 PM   #4
janeller

Liked: 3 Times

i just calculated it and, for me, it went up $200.00. *sigh*. there goes every penny I earned this summer...
life story of a student.
Old 06-16-2009 at 02:09 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Mine went up about $900 this year; but I took 24 units last year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-17-2009 at 01:57 AM   #6
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I know, this sucks... I never knew how much university cost until this year when i decided i will try and pay for it myself.... shouldn't have offered. lol
Old 07-17-2009 at 06:05 AM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I think the cost went up about 15$ per unit. Cause I remember looking at one just a couple weeks ago and it must have been an older one because for me, Eng 3, it said that each unit was 190$ and now it's 205$. And when you've got 40 units, that's a lot of money. :(

Old 07-27-2009 at 12:22 AM   #8
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

So I've got a question that's kind of related to this topic: I was looking at these pages

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2013.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg2014.html

And comparing to my actual tuition costs, and it seems like there's a little extra tacked on. With my calculations, I got $7184.28 as my tuition fees, and $982.13 for my supplementary fees. My actual payment agreement says I owe a lot more though; $7249.82 and $1104.05, respectively. Does anyone know where theis discrepancy might come from?

I was also wondering about the Base Per Unit Tuition Per Faculty. Is the cost simply dependent on the faculty you're in, and not the specific courses? Or is it determined by courses individually?

I.e. I'm in level II Engineering. I have 37 units, 34 of which are required for my program and 3 of which are administered by the faculty of Science (Chem 1AA3). Should it just be 37 x 197.43? Or do I pay for my 37 units in Engineering and 3 units of Science? If the second one is true, do my Math courses count as Sciences? What about electives?
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:09 AM   #9
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

To put things in perspective, I've been hearing that York students are experiencing close to a $55 per course increase from last year. York, york, hoo ra ra!
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:52 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I was also wondering about the Base Per Unit Tuition Per Faculty. Is the cost simply dependent on the faculty you're in, and not the specific courses? Or is it determined by courses individually?
Each and every unit charged to you, the cost is determined by the faculty you are in and not by what faculty the course is. (It's stupid but true!)

Just so we're all on the same page, the supplementary fees are different for each faculty because, naturally, different faculties use different resources which cost different amounts. A science lab for instance, costs more than renting a tutorial room.

However, even though it should be easy enough to determine your fees based on what faculty the course is in, Mac just chooses not to.

So engineers taking say, social science electives, pay for them as though they were engineering courses...ie. Mac makes a bit more money for these, since the supplementaries fees are greater than the cost of taking the course.

So you might think, what about people in faculties with less expensive courses, taking more expensive electives?

Doesn't happen because those courses require registration in a specific faculty (like Engineering).

So Mac disguises it as laziness...but word to wise is, it's a money-making con. Even $5-ish per elective unit per student is quite a bit of money...and it's a fair bit more than that.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-27-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Entropy says thanks to Mowicz for this post.