MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labs of Math 1ZA3 Total BS Commander First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 10-07-2010 01:06 PM
How many 1st year classes am I allowed to take in total? leah.d Academics 1 06-03-2010 06:47 PM
Total Cost For 1 Summer School Course? Class available after 4pm? ashleychin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 03-27-2010 02:30 AM
Total Costs 2009 janeller General Discussion 9 07-27-2009 01:52 AM

total falure...

Old 04-28-2011 at 02:03 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbadgley View Post
Will i be able to talk with sally over email? i live a few hours away from hamilton and cant really just drive all the way there for a few minutes of meeting time.
Go for it. [email protected]
Old 04-28-2011 at 02:06 PM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

"i jsut never learned to do homework in highschool (i never had to do any. ever.)"

What does that even mean?
Old 04-28-2011 at 02:11 PM   #18
ryanbadgley
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

it means i never did any homework in highschool?
I dunno, i just always got ok marks without trying. uni however, does not work like that.
Old 04-28-2011 at 03:03 PM   #19
iloveyou

Liked: 1 Time

I really get mad when some one trolls about something serious

I feel for you

good luck wish u the best just talk to sally williams and she will help u or find a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbadgley View Post
it means i never did any homework in highschool?
I dunno, i just always got ok marks without trying. uni however, does not work like that.
its tough to learn that the hard way

Last edited by iloveyou : 04-28-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2011 at 03:22 PM   #20
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

switch to comp sci, its not easy but easier to get into
Old 04-28-2011 at 03:43 PM   #21
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

Software Engineering and Computer Science are both very similar in terms of second year courses. We had three courses with Comp Sci this year, and looking at both programs, they have quite a few antirequisites. We took Discrete Math and Logic last term (Second year.) They took it last year (so, First year for them). They do have a bit more theory than us, so if you want more practical, applied stuff, I think you'd be better off in Software Engineering as well.
...Plus, not to deter you or anything, but...the "B.Eng" at the end IS pretty nice to look at... :p

In all seriousness though, I barely scraped by first year as well. Dropped 1ZZ5 (equivalent to your two second term math courses), failed PHYS1E03, dropped PHYS1D03.

So, I had quite a bit of uhh..."fun" in the summer.
Term 1 = PHYS1D03
Term 2 = PHYS1E03 + MATH1ZZ5. (Every single day...since 5-credit course in summer = Mon-Fri)

However, NOT counting my summer average (which would have boosted this further) I ended up with a five-point-something, and a 4 is all you need to get into Software, whether it's regular, embedded or game design.

And then, just learn your first-year-lesson (I did...though a little late too) and get on the second year bandwagon. You can still make it.

Plus, Sally Williams is an angel. Really. Talk to her asap about all of this.
Old 04-28-2011 at 05:29 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You're not the first, and definately not the last, student to have trouble in first year. It happens. You're not doomed, and you can turn this around no problem! Your best bet is to talk to an academic advisor. You can check the Eng website, call/email and make an appointment in person (I doubt they will be able to give you much help via email). They will tell you what classes to take, when to take them and what marks you'll need.

I notice that students tend to avoid academic advisors because they think it's a hassle, but seriously, they are SO helpful. I talk to an advisor every year. Make an appointment and they will be able to answer ALL of your questions. You will feel much better once you talk to someone!

lizziepizzie likes this.