MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
DC++ questions lavalampsky General Discussion 3 09-14-2009 06:11 PM
few questions starlight First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-12-2009 08:51 PM
2 Questions jordan23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-04-2009 09:51 PM
how tough is natural disasters nowadays? pk00 Academics 4 12-16-2008 10:29 PM

Tough Questions

Old 01-31-2011 at 06:46 AM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Tough Questions
Ok so hear are my choices

Live in res or live in home and get a car

what should i chose

my parents live in saudi arabia and will be renting the house and keeping the basement for me and couple other guys (its big)

what should i chose

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011 at 06:55 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

There is no 'right' answer here. Living on campus is far more convient, but it is cheaper to live off campus(although, the cost of a new car will probably off-set this). If your parents will be renting the house regardless of where you choose to live, I'd pick the house, but if the house is dependent on you wanting to live there I'd pick residence. But this is just my opinion, you should carefully weigh the pros and cons yourself.

Edit: L'etoile makes an excellent point. There is a few weeks during the winter where residence is closed between terms. Having a house would make your life much easier in this time frame.

Last edited by REPLEKIA/. : 01-31-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2011 at 07:04 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Although Mr. REPLEKIA/. makes an excellent point, I have to wonder what are you going to do when they ask you to move out ? You have to move out during the christmas break (~ 2 Weeks) so if you don't have a place ... then where the **** are you gonna go ? You can't live in residence and not have a place somewhere else just in case.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Afzal, REPLEKIA/. all say thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 01-31-2011 at 07:09 AM   #4
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

live off campus, with people you know you will get a long with.
Old 01-31-2011 at 08:46 AM   #5
mfattal
Elite Member

we own a house and were gona rent the top and keep the basment for me and a couple of guys

its in mississauga

and in the christmas break i will be going to see my family over sees so i wont be in canada
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:01 AM   #6
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

RESIDENCE

once in a lifetime experience, you can never recreate it.
you can live in a house in years 2,3,4 - but you gotta have res

BlueWave likes this.
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:03 AM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Commuting from mississauga every day would be annoying. The traffic on the QEW (main highway from mississauga to hamilton) can get pretty backed up during mornings when your trying to get to an 8:30 class. Id suggest residence for sure. It is far more convenient when the lecture hall is less than 5 min away. The only thing you may have to worry about is a shitty roommate if you get a double room. An other possibility is renting one of the houses within 10 minutes of campus. This is what the vast majority of 2+ level students do anyways.

danallan says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.

danallan, Joey, L'Étoile like this.
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:10 AM   #8
mfattal
Elite Member

i wont be driving ill park the car in oakvill or square one and take the GO transit

problem is first years haev like 90% chance to be in double room with a room mate of any kind

i Still dont know i am kinda 50/50 for both
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:16 AM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
i wont be driving ill park the car in oakvill or square one and take the GO transit

problem is first years haev like 90% chance to be in double room with a room mate of any kind

That's faster than driving from Mississauga to Hamilton. They have express buses that take 35-40 minutes depending on the driver. I've only experienced traffic 3 times on the GO bus, and all of them are on the way home. Two of them delayed me by 10 minutes and the other one did it by 20.

On the other hand, you can't stay too late in Hamilton, or you won't go home until the next day. The last bus from McMaster is 10:50 p.m., and the one following it is at around 5:30 a.m.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:17 AM   #10
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
That's faster than driving from Mississauga to Hamilton. They have express buses that take 35-40 minutes depending on the driver. I've only experienced traffic 3 times on the GO bus, and all of them are on the way home. Two of them delayed me by 10 minutes and the other one did it by 20.
the buss pass is only 100$ a month right?

so should i stay home instead?
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:18 AM   #11
justinsftw
Elite Member

Quote:
the buss pass is only 100$ a month right?

so should i stay home instead?
$204, actually.
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:22 AM   #12
mfattal
Elite Member

a month really?
Old 01-31-2011 at 09:26 AM   #13
justinsftw
Elite Member

Yes.

/12charz
Old 01-31-2011 at 11:07 AM   #14
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:

Most people end up having a really great time with their roommates and becoming really good friends with them. I was not one of these people, so I won't convince you that shared residence rooms are great. That said, here is my advice: residence is awesome (it can have its downsides, but the convenience trumps all, in my opinion).

A few things to consider:

Are you an international student? Because if so, living off campus might not be a bad idea - although residence will cost you the same as it would everyone else, tuition unfortunately hikes up so to save some money (IF this is an issue), might be a better idea. Residence can also get quite expensive with the required meal plan. On the other hand, as a first year you might enjoy having the meal plan for convenience sake. 1st year is hard as it is and having the convenience of res really helps out.

Second, if you're not an international student, then do you know anyone who is coming to mac? If so, then you can collaborate with a group of (4?) others and request each other as roommates on your res application. In this way, you can increase your chances of getting a suite style residence (although not guaranteed).

Lastly, if you're willing to take a hit of $300 you can apply for res and then if you don't like what you get...back out.

BlueWave likes this.
Old 01-31-2011 at 11:37 AM   #15
mfattal
Elite Member

ive lived in canada all my life im not international

and I might take that 300 doller

yes i know lots of ppl at mac thats why i chose it over waterloo