MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer student from another Uni to Mac Life Sci angelanon General Discussion 0 02-09-2014 06:15 PM
am a transfer student and i have a problem saeedoo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 06-13-2013 05:49 PM
Transfer student into life Sci Jasonn First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 01-16-2013 06:09 AM
help with student transfer to mcmaster Reda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-30-2012 03:36 PM

Transfer student from another Uni to Mac Life Sci

Old 02-09-2014 at 06:49 PM   #1
angelanon

Liked: 0 Times

Transfer student from another Uni to Mac Life Sci
Hi
I am a first year student at another uni in Bsc. Bio and I am planning to transfer to Mac Life Sci Level 2 because it is closer to my home but I have a lot of questions and I'm hoping to get some insight from Mac students

Firstly, I want to transfer but it says of the Life Sc page for level 2 that you will need to have calculus and vectors and I didn't take calculus and vectors in high school but I took advanced functions. Would I have to take MA1F03 before I can take MA1A03 or MA1LS3? I took calculus for life sciences 1 at my uni but got a very low mark (just passed). Would I still have to take it again?

Secondly, I am really scared but what if my credits don't transfer over. I took
Bio+Lab (6 units equiv)
Chem+Lab (6 units equiv)
Psych (6 units equiv)
Philos (3 units equiv)
Sociol (3 units equiv)
Astro (3 units equiv)-not sure if this will transfer over. Got really good mark but it's not astrophysics just astronomy)
Math (3 units equiv)-got like a 55% which I feel so scared for
I'm really scared if it won't transfer over because I don't wanna do another year and I really can't afford it and neither can my family...it got really hard for me this year and my family. Loss of income which means is why I'm transferring.

Thirdly, well I just wanna know the competition for level 2 for life Sci or PNB (since i did really well in psych but I heard it's an LEP). Would it be very difficult to transfer from my university to these programs.

Thank u so much for any advice and hope to transition smoothly
P.S your registrar office at Mac are nice but they take a long time to answer which is why I made this forum but it's probably because high school students are coming in so it's understandable. My registrars office at my uni didn't offer me much advice except to contact mac. Anyways thank u and I hope to be hearing some advice
Old 02-09-2014 at 06:57 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

it shouldnt be difficult to transfer into life sci. it is unlimited enrollment. if you did calc at your uni already, its possible for it to count for transfer credit. talk to an advisor at mac.

angelanon says thanks to Silver for this post.
Old 02-10-2014 at 03:44 AM   #3
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

You can try calling the faculty of science academic advisors. Since it is probably inconvenient for you to go in in person they should be able to schedule an appointment time for you to talk with someone on the phone. They will be able to answer questions about how to know which credits will transfer over and such.

The phone number is 905-525-9140 ext. 27590
Or you can email: [email protected]

Btw calculus courses are offered in the summer, so if you need to upgrade or take an additional course before next year you should be able to do it then. Here is a link for the tentative summer schedule:

https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/U201405.html

Good luck

angelanon says thanks to jaywa for this post.