MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfering up SamNIN Academics 6 05-30-2010 11:05 PM
Transfering from one program to another (???) bones_buff General Discussion 11 09-08-2009 10:19 PM
Transfering to Mac? AlinaBee General Discussion 16 07-21-2009 07:18 PM
Transfering to Economics help... chinadian Academics 3 05-10-2009 09:40 PM
Transfering into Eng. TaNMaN Academics 0 11-19-2008 01:40 AM

Transfering

Old 03-24-2010 at 07:59 PM   #1
greekkid

Liked: 0 Times

Transfering
Well heres the thing, I called Mcmaster and asked how I transfer, I regret going away and living on campus because I really slacked off (to much parties) so now I want to go to Mac. When I called I asked how to trasnfer, the admissions person said I need to apply on OUAC which is all good, and she said my admissions is based on my highschool marks and university marks are basically just for trasnfer credits. That is good and all but I was to embarassed to ask if they would still accept me given that I failed 2 courses...... the rest of my marks were ok I had 1 90 2 80's and the rest will be around 70's and 60's. Can someone tell me that I can still get into Mac given that I failed 2 courses???? I mean the lady at admissions told me it is based on your highschool marks and that university credits are just for transfer credits, but im worried.....
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:06 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

when transferring your university average will be considered aswell as your high school average. If you manage to pull off a 7-8(70-75), you may have a shot depending on the program. Unfortunately the partying excuse wont help you with obtaining admission to Mac.
Old 03-24-2010 at 08:14 PM   #3
greekkid

Yes thats the weird thing I assumed that university average would be considered but she told me that it was just for transfer credits. I likely am going to talk to another admissions person also, this doesn't make sense.
Old 03-25-2010 at 12:49 AM   #4
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I don't think it really matters on high school marks as much. I have no U or M credits and my marks were all 60's-70's with a few higher, and 8 coop credits with over 80%.

I was accepted and have over a 3.0 GPA from college. However I applied right when the application opened. You may have some difficulty competing with graduating high school students now.
Old 03-25-2010 at 11:29 AM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I transferred from college to uni last year. The only thing they look at is your high school marks and nothing else. I had to re do a high school course online in fact in order to get into the program.
Old 03-25-2010 at 04:14 PM   #6
greekkid

Yeah its strange I called and talked to another person and they told me the same thing that university marks are really irrelevent when trasnfering university first year. They said only certain programs demand universty marks for transfers (and those ones are the ones that start you ahead at 2nd or 3rd year).

Kinda dumb if you ask me when transfering it should be based on universty marks not highschool, but im really happy that it is based on highschool marks.
Old 03-25-2010 at 09:11 PM   #7
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

well you're applying for admission to 1st year of the program so it makes sense that you should be considered in the same manner as other high school students who are doing the same
Old 03-26-2010 at 08:28 AM   #8
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Yup it makes sense that they are taking your high school marks as you are coming into a first year program. But say for example u took a Math course at your last university and there is something similar at mac in first year, you can be exempted from that course and your mark from the previous university will simply be taken.