MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ArtSci farrow.jon Introduce Yourself 2 09-07-2010 11:59 AM
Transfering greekkid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 03-26-2010 08:28 AM
Transfering into Mcmaster health Science offlimits Academics 21 11-16-2009 07:51 PM
Transfering to Health Science suhaybh Academics 10 06-14-2009 03:29 PM
Admission into Artsci? Meritt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 11-10-2008 03:40 PM

Transfering from ArtSci to Health Sci

Old 04-03-2010 at 10:42 PM   #1
wcspc

Liked: 0 Times

Transfering from ArtSci to Health Sci
Hey guys,

Is it possible to transfer from ArtSci to Health Sci? I'm a gr. 12 student and I just got my acceptance in the mail today (out of province student). I REALLY want to do the Art Sci program and my parents think it's a waste, but they think that Health Sci isn't. If I can prove to them that transferring is possible, they might let me go to ArtSci.

Thanks for any replies

_____
WCSPC
Old 04-03-2010 at 11:06 PM   #2
Jeff W
MSU VP Finance 2012-2013

Liked: 0 Times

Hi friend! Not sure about transferring, but as a current Artsci I can tell you that Artsci is NOT A WASTE!! Artsci is one of the most challenging, prestigious and flexible programs available. If your parents have any doubts, there are countless people at Mac (including non-Artscis and faculty) who would vouch for the excellence of the program.

Relating more to your question, my understanding is that transferring into health sci is a difficult and arduous process. Both programs are about equally difficult to enter. If you've been accepted to both, I would seriously look at which one you want to do most, because transferring is likely to be difficult.

That said, the Artsci academic advisor is fantastic and is often able to pull strings that one wouldn't have thought possible.

One more shameless plug for Artsci: the amount of freedom is incredible. You can get a combined honours degree in almost any field you can think of, including biochem, biology, biodiversity, chem, math & stats, origins, psych, and health studies... and those are just the science-y ones I can think of atm. If you're definitely headed to med school then health sci may be your best choice, but if you have any other plans I would recommend Artsci. Note: you can get into med school at Mac as an Artsci.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-03-2010 at 11:26 PM   #3
Yummi

Liked: 3 Times

Health Sci is a bigger waste and yes the process to switch is too long that the program isn't worth it.
Old 04-04-2010 at 01:23 AM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Do what you want, not what your parents want you to do.

Health sci is good option though, but don't get ahead of yourself, you're not even in first year yet.
Old 04-04-2010 at 09:17 AM   #5
hyvaa

Liked: 14 Times

I think it's possible if you take summer school after first year. The prerequisites for second year admissions are first year chem and bio - but as an art sci, you only get two electives (either one year of chem, or one year of bio, .. or half of each). And, I think you have to notify the health sci office that you are going to be taking summer school to get your prerequisites done.

Art sci and health sci have different strengths.

From what I heard (my roommate is an art sci), art sci focuses more on writing skills in first year. There are a lot of interesting topics in courses as well. Also, if you continue in the program, you will be academically well-rounded. You can have a major in a certain area as well. I am not sure about specific details as I am not in the program myself.

I am a health sci so maybe I can give you some more information about it. Health sci involves a lot of group work. I know that art sci also has group work - but not as much as health sci. Even in first year (which gets bashed for the "easiness"), as of now, there are three projects going on at the same time, with the same people. You will pretty much see them everyday. The projects are not jokes by the way - don't judge the program by what others say. You will be reading tons of journal articles, integrate all the knowledge and try to come up with your own ideas. For example, this year, we have a project called "unsin", whose purpose is to cure one of the seven sins (we are only dealing with four though). So, to cure a sin, you have to read scientific articles about the precursor of the sin (overeating, excessive horniness, etc.), try to come up with a pathway related to the sin (it involves a lot of molecules), and find/invent a molecule that can "unsin" the sin. It does take up a lot of time. Because of these projects, we have "invisible" classes called meetings. I heard in second year, the meetings can go even as long as 19 hours. I will find about it next year.
And inquiry (which gets bashed the most) is very interesting. It is a very safe environment, which you can't really find in university, to develop your group work skills and yourself. It sounds like bs (it did to me too - trust me, I was going to turn down the program because of this "bs"), but it really is not. You will learn a lot if you choose to in the course.

This is about it and if you have any other questions, please PM me

aani likes this.
Old 04-04-2010 at 07:17 PM   #6
zeChinaman

Liked: 7 Times

It is very possible to transfer from Artsci to Healthsci. It is also equally possible to transfer from Healthsci to Artsci. That being said, to my knowledge, the requirements for transfer applicants are usually higher than that of direct-entry applicants.

With regard to your and your parents' differing opinions, it may be helpful to sit down with them and have a nice chat about what you each see for your future. Additionally, finding more out about each program with them can maybe help give perspective, not only to your parents, but perhaps to you as well, about the strengths, weaknesses, and goals of each program.

If your parents' main worry is about future medical school admissions, please let them know that if one really wanted to go to medical school, any program would work
Old 04-04-2010 at 08:49 PM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

I guess it would be nice to help in your escape
From patterns your parents designed
Old 04-08-2010 at 12:35 AM   #8
Penguin

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvaa View Post
I think it's possible if you take summer school after first year. The prerequisites for second year admissions are first year chem and bio - but as an art sci, you only get two electives (either one year of chem, or one year of bio, .. or half of each). And, I think you have to notify the health sci office that you are going to be taking summer school to get your prerequisites done.

Art sci and health sci have different strengths.

From what I heard (my roommate is an art sci), art sci focuses more on writing skills in first year. There are a lot of interesting topics in courses as well. Also, if you continue in the program, you will be academically well-rounded. You can have a major in a certain area as well. I am not sure about specific details as I am not in the program myself.

I am a health sci so maybe I can give you some more information about it. Health sci involves a lot of group work. I know that art sci also has group work - but not as much as health sci. Even in first year (which gets bashed for the "easiness"), as of now, there are three projects going on at the same time, with the same people. You will pretty much see them everyday. The projects are not jokes by the way - don't judge the program by what others say. You will be reading tons of journal articles, integrate all the knowledge and try to come up with your own ideas. For example, this year, we have a project called "unsin", whose purpose is to cure one of the seven sins (we are only dealing with four though). So, to cure a sin, you have to read scientific articles about the precursor of the sin (overeating, excessive horniness, etc.), try to come up with a pathway related to the sin (it involves a lot of molecules), and find/invent a molecule that can "unsin" the sin. It does take up a lot of time. Because of these projects, we have "invisible" classes called meetings. I heard in second year, the meetings can go even as long as 19 hours. I will find about it next year.
And inquiry (which gets bashed the most) is very interesting. It is a very safe environment, which you can't really find in university, to develop your group work skills and yourself. It sounds like bs (it did to me too - trust me, I was going to turn down the program because of this "bs"), but it really is not. You will learn a lot if you choose to in the course.

This is about it and if you have any other questions, please PM me
19 hours? These are the rumors floating around in first year?

It's more like six at most. Unless your whole group decides to do the project the night before.
Old 04-08-2010 at 01:15 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
Note: you can get into med school at Mac as an Artsci.
You can take extra courses to fulfill degree requirements for med schools. One of my good friends has a degree in English and a minor in Art History and is finishing up her first year of med school right now. She had to go outside of her programs to take the courses she needed, but she wanted to be in a program she was enjoying.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement